Author Topic: Why is it that...  (Read 9086 times)

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Why is it that...
« on: Jul 30, 2010, 08:59 am »
I'm sure we all have a few questions along these lines. Anyone care to share?

Why is it that nobody ever reads my e-mails--unless I make a minor error in spelling or grammar, in which case I never hear the end of it?

Why is it that theatres keep putting up with the jerk who hides in the shadows backstage, emerging only to re-arrange the unattended props tables in order to confuse the actors who would never dream of misplacing their "thing... you know, the thing I need for this entrance, god, I don't even know, just help me find it"?

Why is it that "please sign the callboard" is seen as such a controversial, demanding, dictatorial command by the exact same people who view "sweetie, I know we're at places, but could you pop out and grab me some cigarettes?" as an utterly benign request?

Why is it that, even if you glow-tape your stage until it begins to look like an airport runway, there's always that one cast member who will be just one single step out of the light at the one crucial moment? (And why is it that the director never notices, but the lighting designer always does--from the building across the street, while sound asleep and hung over, no less?)

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Re: Why is it that...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2010, 09:54 am »
Why is it that the director can't watch all of the cast on stage at one time and tell when they are breaking out of character or otherwise doing stuff wrong?

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2010, 11:30 am »
Why is it that office staff don't seem to realize that the stage manager is a very important part of the production team worthy of a bit of respect, and allowed to make "I need this to do my job..." requests.

Why is it that small theatres seem to never know that Stage Manager and Props department are not one and the same?

Why is it that we can't have a daquiri blender on the tech table?   ;)
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2010, 12:26 pm »
Why am I expected to know everything when I'm only given half the information?
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2010, 12:52 pm »
Why is it that actors think they can direct just because they act? or producers think they can act? or actors who have no talent continue to act?

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2010, 01:57 pm »
Why is it that the moment I send the schedule to the cast, the director decides to change it?
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

nmno

« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2010, 02:05 pm »
Why is it that...  when we have the most complicated of cut shows, that is the time the printer decides to do its 15 minute "cleaning" cycle.

PSMAK

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2010, 04:43 pm »
Why is it that when you have a complex cueing sequence and it's also impossible to watch 100% of the show, an actor asked did you see what happened?

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2010, 06:00 pm »
Why is it that the only place in the neighbourhood which does decent coffee for a reasonable price is only open from 2-3 PM on alternating Wednesdays and whenever else the manager feels like it?

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 05, 2010, 01:23 pm »
Why is it the one day you decide, "Yes, I will go out to get lunch on lunch break today," is the only day it rains in two weeks?
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

AdamJ

« Reply #10 on: Aug 16, 2010, 02:12 am »
Why is it that nobody has problems with actors demanding Appropriate compensation for their work or any time they put in is seen as reasonable, but any SM or technician is out of line asking to be paid fairly...

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2010, 07:33 am »
Why is it that nobody has problems with actors demanding Appropriate compensation for their work or any time they put in is seen as reasonable, but any SM or technician is out of line asking to be paid fairly...
Because the SM probably isn't sleeping with the producer, silly.  ;)

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2010, 12:19 pm »
Why is it that I take a day off and end of more tired and/or sicker than when I was working for 3 weeks in a row...

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2010, 02:20 pm »
my official title is stage manager but I haven't actually managed a stage in six months?

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 01, 2010, 10:47 am »
...playwrights seem to ALWAYS include characters in their shows whose names start with L, R, and C, and at least two characters with the same first initial.  Just to make blocking notation that much more difficult.

(I've got two L's, two R's, two G's and a C)