Author Topic: what does a production manager do?  (Read 7744 times)

michaw

• New to Town
    • View Profile
what does a production manager do?
« on: Aug 29, 2010, 09:25 pm »
i met several production managers in the past and i cant hardly tell whats the nature of their work.=)

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: what does a production manager do?
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2010, 05:10 am »
PM is often involved far more in the budget and over all co-ordination of the production than the SM - whilst the SM (or PSM) is responsible for the day to day running of things, the PM involves themselves in the longer term items - permits, organising site inspections, getting permits, ensuring OH&S policies are followed etc etc etc etc. Basically, a show that involves a PM takes some of the load off of the producer/director and some of the load off of the SM. Generally the job is death by paperwork and meetings. Been there, Done that... No thanks.

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2010, 03:14 pm »
PGenerally the job is death by paperwork and meetings. Been there, Done that... No thanks.

That is not been my experience as a production manager in the USA.  I'll be happy to expand at later date (after the show I am currently production managing Off Broadway has it's official opening tonight).  In brief..

When I am production managing, I spend a good deal of pre-production time coordinating with shops and designers (with generally 2 or 3 production meetings in the mix) -- then from the time of load-in through the first public performance I am pretty much on-site with tech crews.  Except for collecting time-sheets and W-4s, I probably spend less time with paperwork when i am production managing than stage managing.

(That being said, I would truly discourage anyone else from pursuing an interest in production management in New York.  Now that the field of stage management is over-crowded, I would hate to see the same thing happen to production management.)

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2010, 07:20 pm »
Damn... Definitely in the wrong country... I don't mind paperwork born of necessity (in fact, big fan)... but I HATE paperwork born of bureaucracy with a passion unbridled... and PM'ing down here... lots of the later with a little bit of the former.

michaw

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 31, 2010, 05:43 am »
thanks for all the reply.  ;)