Author Topic: Coriolanus-Commonwealth Shakespeare Company  (Read 2952 times)

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
Coriolanus-Commonwealth Shakespeare Company
« on: Aug 06, 2012, 03:58 pm »
If you're in Boston this week head to Boston Common to check out Commonwealth Shakespeare Company's free production of Coriolanus. I'm the PSM, and it has been the most wonderful, challenging, terrifying production I have worked on in quite some time.  The cast is wonderful and my stage management staff has been amazing!

Did I mention it's free? It closes Sunday 8/12.

Their website
http://www.commshakes.org/
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2012, 04:01 pm by DeeCap »

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Coriolanus-Commonwealth Shakespeare Company
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2012, 11:19 pm »
Have a great closing weekend, Dee!

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2012, 07:16 pm »
Saw there were some weather issues over the weekend, how many performances did you manage to squeak out between the tornado warnings?

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2012, 10:17 am »
Friday night's performance was canceled due to the Tornado watch.

We were able to do shows on Saturday and Sunday. Sunday night we had the pleasure of a drunk, shirtless man to join our cast in the middle of a scene. It took the Director, Sound Designer (who just came to watch closing night), Site supervisor, and finally a Park Ranger to pull him offstage.

In the 17 years that they have done Shakespeare in the Common, that was a first. 

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2012, 11:50 am »
Now that sounds exciting.  I've only had animals sneak on stage while doing outdoor theatre.  For a production of Streetcar we had a bat land onstage right at the top of Act II, very close to our Stella, who was deathly afraid of bats, giving us a few extra lines of "Stanley, there's a bat in the bedroom, get rid of it!"  At another performance we had a raccoon sneak along the extreme side of house left (nobody was seated in that section during a sparsely attended, and very hot, Tuesday night) and crawl right under the bed during Blanche's "I want magic" scene with Mitch.  I don't know what happened to it.  Luckily it snuck out before Stanley came back for the big scene between him and Blanche, because I was ready to stop the show before that if it was still under there for that scene (I didn't want to find out what a raccoon would do when people were suddenly getting thrown down on top of the bed it was hiding under).

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2012, 01:09 pm »
Funny you should mention animals...

In the park there are a few hawks that take up residence. During tech and preview they decided to perch on our lighting trusses. One time during our dinner break, a hawk joined us by eating his dinner on the truss.
Never thought my ASM would have to ask run crew to sweep up pigeon feathers from the stage..

riotous