Author Topic: Earning a living.  (Read 3335 times)

javissdaviss

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Earning a living.
« on: Sep 04, 2014, 05:14 pm »
I'm curious, is it actually possible to earn a living solely from Stage Management?
I'm mostly thinking about the UK here, but feel free to answer about other countries!
I've read a few articles mentioning that very, very few people are able to earna living solely from professional stage management jobs.
Opinions?
« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2014, 05:30 pm by javissdaviss »

loebtmc

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Earning a living.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2014, 06:22 pm »
have you tried searching on this site? There have been at least one or two lengthy discussions on this topic.

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2014, 06:28 pm »
Hi JavissDaviss,

UK based answer - and I'm making an assumption you're a student, or newly into the job market?

Yes, it is. At the start, it's hard. I kept a casual crewing job on the side for the first 12-15 months, because I wasn't confident I could survive without it.

I'm 2 years out of uni, and I'm hovering around the £20k mark. But don't get me wrong, it's hard. I have no savings, I have to do a lot of scrounging, and there are times I have to get by with £3.12 in my bank for a week while I'm waiting on invoices.  I should say that I'm not fantastic with money - if I banned myself from Starbuck and Pret, I'd be in a much healthier position!

However - until you/we have a few more years under our belts, there's not going to be decent money (and I mean decent for Stage Management in London here). There's still a lot of people around with similar skills, age, experience, and so the only thing to set us apart from our peers are the friends and contact we have. Also, W/E, or full-time at the national houses are where the money, security and benefits lie!

I'm happy to answer any further questions for you - if you like, my contact details are on my profile (I think)!

C

javissdaviss

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2014, 01:14 pm »
have you tried searching on this site? There have been at least one or two lengthy discussions on this topic.

Sorry! I did a search on the topic, but found most of the discussion to be pretty US based. I may have missed some replies which were UK related!

Hi JavissDaviss,

UK based answer - and I'm making an assumption you're a student, or newly into the job market?

Yes, it is. At the start, it's hard. I kept a casual crewing job on the side for the first 12-15 months, because I wasn't confident I could survive without it...

C
Thanks for your reply!
Yes, I just graduated university this year from a drama and performance course which was not stage management related at all! So I really am starting from scratch as far as any 'professional' experience goes!
It's been a bit of a struggle finding information about jobs, and an even bigger struggle to find someone willing to take a chance on me even for unpaid work!
Thanks for the offer of extra advise too! I may just take you up on that.