Author Topic: PEOPLE: Saving an actor's neck  (Read 3285 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

hbelden

  • Permanent Resident
  • *****
  • Posts: 412
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
PEOPLE: Saving an actor's neck
« on: Apr 02, 2006, 03:08 am »
Here's the fun part of being an ASM.  I'm running SR, and just before going onstage, an actor put down a prop on the prop table, then made his entrance SR.  It's one of those specific props used in the show - like Desdemona's handkerchief.  I thought, "that's not right, is it?"  He exits SL and re-enters SL a minute later, so I didn't think he would want to crossover just to get this prop.  I double-checked with the SL stage manager, and it didn't make any sense to her either.  So, I walked over to SL with his prop and handed it to him - and was thanked profusely!  He had just spaced for a second and thought he was done with it.  It was the second show of a two-show day, and he got confused.  He would have been really struggling if he had gone on without it.

It's just so rare to be thanked by an actor - during a performance, even! - that I wanted to mention it here.
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2009, 11:15 pm by PSMKay »
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

samthestagemanager

  • New to Town
  • **
  • Posts: 15
    • View Profile
    • http://
being thanked
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2006, 04:33 pm »
that is incredibly rare to be thanked by an actor during a show. good job!

MeganTrigg

  • New to Town
  • **
  • Posts: 22
  • Gender: Female
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-sunset.com/
  • Affiliations: SMA, EMC
Saving an actor's neck
« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2006, 12:53 pm »
Is it really all that rare? If so, I've been amazingly lucky. 90% of the actors I work with have manners and are courteous and a joy to work with. I mean, I know I'm prone to bitching about the other 10% a lot more than I praise the good ones, but I definitely get the sense that there's more good ones out there than bad.

Am I just naive or lucky, or is it more common than these posters are suggesting? I know I love my actors. I'd do almost anything for them, and they'd do the same for me. Give and take.

hbelden

  • Permanent Resident
  • *****
  • Posts: 412
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
courtesy
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2006, 06:26 pm »
I was speaking of more than just courtesy.  It's almost standard for actors to use "Thank you" as a polite way of saying "I heard what you just said and have taken the note/announcement/warning, etc.".  But it's rare for an actor to (a) recognize that I've saved their bacon and (b) appreciate the fact by thanking me.
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

Mac Calder

  • Forum Moderators
  • *****
  • Posts: 970
  • Gender: Male
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Saving an actor's neck
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2006, 06:59 pm »
Actors, and people in general, seem to de-value the word thank-you. Manners are high on my list of things I appreciate, and I think as SMs we tend to go well beyond the call of duty and frankly, we are under-appreciated. In fact it seems that almost everyone who does not appear on stage is basically underappreciated. Whilst I know most of us accept this, it is certainly nice when actors realise it.

I think almost every SM has had a show where it seems everyone but you and your crew are thanked for "All the work they put into the show" and you sit there and think "Why on earth do I bother". It is the moments where actors realise that if it was not for your work they would have screwed up, that makes me realise that I really am needed. Situations like that warm your heart a bit and stop you from being a cold hearted, mean spirited person.

Good work OP!

stagerosie

  • New to Town
  • **
  • Posts: 31
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/gstacey02/
Congrats on a job well done
« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2006, 03:13 am »
Congrats.
What time is It!?!?!?!!?

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
4582 Views
Last post Jan 11, 2008, 08:03 pm
by MatthewShiner
5 Replies
2442 Views
Last post Jun 24, 2012, 12:01 pm
by Jessie_K
3 Replies
1749 Views
Last post Jul 31, 2012, 11:18 am
by omaira17

riotous