Author Topic: What is Gaffer Tape?  (Read 30587 times)

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: What is Gaffer Tape?
« Reply #15 on: Sep 20, 2006, 07:30 am »
Permacel is the name of that crap?  Thank you!  We had a local university bring in a Russian Ballet, and they brought their own tape with to tape down our marley.  I feel your pain on the extra hour on the out while the entire union crew crawled around on their hands and knees doing whatever we could think of to get that residue off the marley so we could roll it up.  The person from the university was horrified, and promised that they'd never order that brand again.  But that still doesn't change the fact that we still have bits of it along the edges of where the marley was taped to the stage.

-Centaura

j-la

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #16 on: Sep 20, 2006, 05:16 pm »
Gaff does it all... For 10 years my day job was at a radio station that broadcast NFL football games. At the end of every football season, the station enginneers- really wonderful guys- would gift me with all the rolls of gaff tape that had less than 1" depth of tape remaining on the roll. I left that job about a year ago but I still have a bit of gaff left in my kit.

Down2life

• New to Town
  • The true talent on set
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: USITT SETC J.S.U.
« Reply #17 on: Sep 21, 2006, 01:39 am »
I have never had any problems with permacel. I actually prefer it. But yes as everyone said gaff tape is the sure fix for just about anything. Nothing (except artists tapr) beats white gaff at lableing boards. And nothing beats black gaff at anything.

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #18 on: Sep 21, 2006, 07:16 am »
You can get gaffer tape in a wide range of colours too. I bought some flourescent pink today for use on a set. Marvelous stuff, Gaffer tape/

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #19 on: Oct 03, 2006, 07:59 pm »
I don't think anyone's mentioned that really gaff tape can be used for ANYTHING.  Just today I used it to fix a prop...they liked the size of a spiral bound book, but wanted it to look like a regular book.....so I gaff taped around the spiral to create what looked like standard binding....

I can't begin to think of all the ways I've seen it used, especially in fixing broken things quickly or attaching things....including making "pockets" or cubbyholes in walls of the set or backstage...But having a supply of both black and white - and labelling YOUR name or department on it to try to prevent a few thefts (doesn't necessarily work, but you can claim it back later if you see it!) - can accomplish quite a few things.

Erin

nmno

« Reply #20 on: Oct 03, 2006, 08:13 pm »
I don't think anyone's mentioned that really gaff tape can be used for ANYTHING. 

So, in the vein of Erin's instant book binding, what is the best/most creative out-of-purpose use of gaff tape you've seen/done? (as in, not used to tape something, secure something - killerdana already wins that contest with securing her bumper!)

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Oct 03, 2006, 09:22 pm »
Well, we once used gaff tape to tape a full sized hotel sign (from the chain we stayed in the most) that we dug out of a dumpster (the hotel was remodeling, and the corner of the sign was broken) to our tour truck.  It sat over the cab until it came off one night in the rain.

-Centaura

angelofmusic1781

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 05, 2006, 12:45 am »
Perhaps a question to ask is:  What isn't Gaffer Tape?
  I only say that because I am always finding a different way to use it.

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Former SM
« Reply #23 on: Oct 05, 2006, 09:29 am »
Best creative use...

As the internal structure for an all-duct tape costume for the Tin Man in The Wiz.

The poor man playing the role melted every time the lights came up, but he looked GREAT.

And that was the year that duct and gaff dresses went to the Senior Prom.

Lucky

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 07, 2006, 11:51 am »
Oh Gaff is great when you have it. And yes, it finds its way to mysteriously wander off. To prevent said problem, take a trick of the trade from the electricians. Like they do their Crecent wrench (and everything else) to their body, a piece of tie and a beaner go a long way in keeping your gaff at your side. Found this one out quickly when hanging a show all by ladder. Once that roll is attached and ready to rip, or unattach for uses on a big floor, it's not walking away unless the spitful carp comes by with his leatherman/gerber and cuts it from you while your back is turned. At that point game is on for what you do to him.

Oh and a bit of GooGone works wonders in getting that residue off of stuff (especially cable). And Silver Metalic Sharpies work great to write on black or other dark colored gaff. plus it looks really cool.
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2006, 11:58 am by Lucky »

reds

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 07, 2006, 02:07 pm »
I was working on Seussical and I used red gaff to strip some props to match the "cat in the hat's" hat.  Writing your name on it helps, but not always...I've never seen anything walk away like that stuff. 
Dream - Hope - Believe

liamproche

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Current Gig: PSM-FGO
« Reply #26 on: Feb 25, 2007, 09:25 pm »
I really have nothing of value to add to this conversation............I just can't stress my undying love for gaff tape enough :-D. (It's the most wonderful creation man has ever come up with.)

Matt.L

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2007, 08:48 pm »
the best use for gaffer tapre is shutting up actors who are too full of themselves i think

smalltimeSM

• New to Town
  • "Yea Komakozie Theatre!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Feb 27, 2007, 09:49 pm »
Right now I am working at a high school doing tech for their musical, and they have 4" white Gaff tape that they use to TAPE SEEMS IN THE SET!!!!!  I walked in to a stock of 14 rolls of the stuff and cried when I heard the use for it. :o

Do Not Use a $50us Roll of Tape for Scenery!!!!

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Feb 28, 2007, 09:56 am »
Right now I am working at a high school doing tech for their musical, and they have 4" white Gaff tape that they use to TAPE SEEMS IN THE SET!!!!!

Yes...and when I was on my first TYA tours, we took a few colored rolls of gaffe for minor scenic repairs.  Cheap and quick for patches.  Have also done this on other occasions.

I also have been known to use black gaffe to patch my leather.

If you are paying $50 a roll for gaffe tape, you are paying way too much.