Author Topic: What gloves do you use when you're pulling ropes?  (Read 14261 times)

PatrickLikesBiscuits

• Tourist
  • Jimmy crack corn, and I DO care.
    • View Profile
What gloves do you use when you're pulling ropes?
« on: Jul 19, 2008, 08:45 pm »
Personally, I find fingerless gloves very comfortable to use, and quite handy at times. 

jmc

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: What gloves do you use when you're pulling ropes?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2008, 12:57 am »
I always use the fingerless sailing gloves, which are cheap & handle hemp lines great, also they leave the fingers free for Smokeo!
http://www.boatersworld.com/product/185000015msk.htm?bct=%3Bcigloves-
Tio Tio Chookas
{May you always play to a full house}
'Hear the light & see the sound'

PatrickLikesBiscuits

• Tourist
  • Jimmy crack corn, and I DO care.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2008, 04:16 am »
I always use the fingerless sailing gloves, which are cheap & handle hemp lines great, also they leave the fingers free for Smokeo!
newbielink:http://www.boatersworld.com/product/185000015msk.htm?bct=%3Bcigloves- [nonactive]
Looks neat, I might get one of those. Thanks!

chops

• Contributor
  • My tie got caught in an arbor today
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2008, 09:51 am »
There are some great belay gloves at REI that run about $30 a pair.  I used them for years when running a hemp rail.  But sailing gloves work just as well.
Peace,

Chops

smalltimeSM

• New to Town
  • "Yea Komakozie Theatre!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2008, 05:53 pm »
While I was working for a Flying Effects company, we always used Mechanics gloves or Newmans, i.e. line backer gloves for the sports fans.  I've never had a problem with them, and they give just enough grip with out having to much.

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2008, 08:22 pm »
I'm another one who votes for fingerless sailing gloves - built to handle rope and you've still got your fingertips free for fiddly work.  Plus you can chuck them in the washing machine when they start to smell funky.

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2008, 10:11 pm »
Fingerless bicycle gloves also work well.  I think I paid about $15-20 for mine.
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

Nbayard

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: NIU, Stage Coach Players
« Reply #7 on: Jul 22, 2008, 03:46 pm »
Working with a Flying effects company, they introduced me into half fingerless gloves that are awesome.  the index and Thumb are still covered, but the other 3 aren't It's actually very handy and very comfortable...They are mechanix only like 15 bucks!

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 2008, 11:15 pm »
Moderator note:  two off topic posts deleted

Please feel free to continue the discussion!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #9 on: Jul 29, 2008, 09:12 pm »
When the rope is cotton, not hemp (I've encountered this mostly when using foy systems), I was recommended by a guy who works at ZFX to use linebacker gloves like these: http://www.footballamerica.com/football/category.do?categoryId=438. They really grip the softer rope much better than work gloves because of their material. They aren't cheap, but as a production manager I bought several sets per week for each guy working the foy on any given show. They loved them, and because of the gloves' great performance everyone felt safer working the ropes. Now the guys won't use anything else when doing flying effects.

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #10 on: Aug 23, 2008, 12:09 pm »
I vote for sailing gloves with the thumb and index top knuckle portion  open!!

Dre2387

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Girl From Nashville, EBE Ensemble, NYC
« Reply #11 on: Jun 12, 2010, 10:28 am »
I recently had to operate a rope on pulleys that opened an accordion-like wall.  This happened about 16 times in one performance.  I tried fingerless weight lifter gloves that the theater had but I didn't feel like I had enough protection for my pads below my fingers.  And my fingers started getting sore.  I went to Sports Authority and other sports stores and didn't find anything I liked.  I finally went to Home Depot and found Firm Grip brand. 

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg3/R-100372745/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

(this is the heavy duty kind.  search for "gloves" to find other types of Firm Grip.)

you can get lightweight, heavy duty, even waterproof.  Very comfortable, soft material and padding for all the right areas.  and all for around $20.  Very good investment.
Andrea

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #12 on: Jun 12, 2010, 11:49 am »
I use sailing gloves for all the reasons mentioned above AND- they seem to run a bit smaller than mechanics or other types of gloves. Good for small hands!
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

cprted

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 12, 2010, 12:17 pm »
I've never tried the fingerless sailing gloves but am intrigued.  Usually I use roping gloves.  Its probably a symptom of where I live.  Way more cowboys here than sailors ...  ;)

ericjames

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
« Reply #14 on: Jun 12, 2010, 09:34 pm »
I almost always use fingerless gloves... currently, I am using regular fingerless work gloves (Home Depot).  I have also used weight lifting gloves which work okay. I tried bicycling gloves once, but I tore them up too fast.  I am really intrigued by the sailing gloves that everyone is recommending.  Can someone point me to a good website and/or store for them.

On the occasion that I am doing something where I want full fingered gloves... they are almost always mechanics.

riotous