Author Topic: Useful iPhone apps?  (Read 39829 times)

CMProsser

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA UK, Victorian College of the Arts
  • Current Gig: Changing the world one production at a time!
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Useful iPhone apps?
« Reply #45 on: Jun 27, 2012, 07:57 pm »
I find anything that lets me use my phone/ipad/laptop/random computer interchangeably is what makes my life easier.  So I give a big thumbs-up to Drop-box and Docs-to-Go as well as Evernote, which is like a fully organisable notebook that never runs out of pages and you can attach photos, files etc to it.  All of these are cloud, so what you access on your phone one day you can access from anywhere with an internet connection the next.  I also really like Out of Milk as a list tool; technically for shopping lists, but can use it for anything task related.

TheWiseTurtle

• New to Town
  • "Live through this, and you won't look back."
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance - Taffety Punk
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #46 on: Nov 27, 2012, 10:37 pm »
I use the clock app all the time for timing stuff; I'm sure better options exist, but I am still getting used to this whole "stage managing" business, and working is priority one in an app. I've got AllSubway(not free, I think), which gives subway maps for all the major US cities (even Phoenix, although we don't have a subway...). I still use my computer for my paperwork stuff, but I do have Dropbox in case of emergencies. I have a supply of games, but I have Morse Code(free) that at least means that I'm being slightly productive with my goofing off. The IMDB app has also been handy for settling arguments on breaks, and if you're a gamer like me, the Steam app lets you see what's on sale that day while at rehearsal.  I also know that the Maps app gets a bad rap for being inaccurate, but I still use it and don't see too many problems with it.
Needs more gaff tape.

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #47 on: Dec 03, 2012, 09:22 am »
Has anyone found a subsitute for maps since upgrading to OS6?  Someone recommended an app to me called "Waze" which is free and has a lot of good information on it.  It seems like a decent app however after trying this out I realized it's a massive battery suck, so I'm back in the market.

Any suggestions? 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
« Reply #48 on: Dec 03, 2012, 11:40 am »
I use the tom tom app. It's about 50 bucks, but it's still much cheaper than buying a separate gps device.

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • http://www.performinglineswa.org.au
  • Affiliations: Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance
« Reply #49 on: Dec 04, 2012, 07:39 am »
I heard maps has been submitted to the ap store for apple. I live in hope.
ChaCha

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #50 on: Dec 10, 2012, 11:33 pm »
I purchased my first iPad at the very end of October. Still finessing how to use it best and for now am only using desktop computers (work and home) and the iPad. I'm also tend to do more one-off types of stage managing, so other than a week of touring haven't really put it through its stage management paces yet.

Based on zddh13's recommendation, I too am now hooked on AppsGoneFree. There are often lots of games and I've found my share of fun ones, but I tend to test out most of the productivity apps, which arrive for both iphone and ipad platforms (sometimes they're both, sometimes one or the other). TODAY they have doddlePRO available, which is normally $10.99. It's an iphone app that was written by and for the film industry for crew calls. I haven't tested it out yet, but I figure download it now and try it out later. It says "for a limited time" it's available for free so I don't know how long it'll last. It appears to only be an iphone app (which you can pull up in iphone format on iPad).

Otherwise - using Dropbox a LOT right now, though not absolutely loving re-uploading documents from whatever device I'm on at the time. I also downloaded Pages and Numbers. Integration is pretty good with Google Calendars, too, and with a Google Site I've created for an upcoming collaborative project (5 companies involved), I can incorporate the Google Calendar right into it and update from wherever I am. Can update the Google Site from iPad too.

Have tried various "around me" apps, but nothing I absolutely love yet. I do have a separate GPS.

KMC

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Dec 13, 2012, 01:49 pm »
In case anyone has been living under a rock for the past 24 hours, Google has released a Google Maps App for iPhone, available in the app store

Apple Maps can now join its bretheren of useless, undeletable apps (Compass, Voice Memos, Weather, Game Center) in my folder labeled "Apple Garbage". 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #52 on: Dec 18, 2012, 10:20 pm »
"Useful" may be a strong adjective, but I just saw that free today is an app called King of Opera. Let your inner diva/divo fly free as you steal the spotlight from other tenors...or the Fat Lady herself. I downloaded it and was giggling pretty quickly...

SMHilary

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #53 on: Dec 18, 2013, 02:40 pm »
I am a Junior college student at UMBC and have been stage managing for a while. I'm not sure if it's still in the market, but I like to use "Show Timer". It's designed specifically for Stage Managers. I think it may cost two or three dollars, but it's totally worth it. I can time the show AND they have a hold button for every time we hold! If you've ever sat through a tech, you can imagine how helpful this is. They also have a break timer that can be run at the same time as the showtimer! It's easy to use and worth your money, get it!

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
« Reply #54 on: Dec 18, 2013, 08:26 pm »
I've never really understood the use for a specific timing app. What's wrong with either using a stopwatch, or just working it out from the time you started/stopped?

KMC

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Feb 17, 2014, 01:06 pm »
Just checking out "Flipboard" now - it combines any manner of news feeds, categories, social networks, etc. into one app with a simple and attractive display.  Nice way to consolidate everything I read on a daily basis.

Free on iOS and Android.

StgMgrOpera

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: University of Memphis (BFA - August 2013), Stage Manager's Association
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #56 on: Apr 15, 2014, 01:23 am »
These are a few of the apps that I "can't live without"

Personal:
  • Facebook - Need I say more...
  • LinkedIn - I have been using LinkedIn for a few years building and networking
  • FourSquare - I'm not as addicted to this one as when I first bought it, but I like it much better than the Facebook check-in
  • Starbucks - Can a stage manager live without coffee? I can easily manage and reload my Starbucks card on it.
  • Urbanspoon and OpenTable - These are indispensable when we are traveling, especially since my partner and I both have to be gluten-free
  • QuizUp - This one is a recent addiction. Play against random players or challenge your Facebook friends in multiple categories. I am killing it on the Musical Theatre and Shakespeare quizzes.

Stage Management/Theatre:
  • ShowTool SM newbielink:https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/showtool-sm/id352212001?mt=8 [nonactive] - I really do like this one. I know, I know. I can use the stopwatch. But with a little bit of setup beforehand, ShowTool SM is much more intuitive for me. Only thing I have to remember to do is to hit the next button.
  • SayBallet newbielink:https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sayballet/id333408014?mt=8 [nonactive] - I am not a dancer. No theatre has enough insurance to cover me trying to dance. This handy app has all the dance terminology--many with quick videos of the steps.
  • Scene Partner newbielink:https://www.scenepartnerapp.com/ [nonactive] - This is a great app for learning lines. It's free to the actor. The cost is to the theatre/production company, which is renting or purchasing the scripts. Creating a library key (password) for the production and distributing to the actors, the actors can then view, listen to and record their lines. There are so many options for how the actors can rehearse their lines. The only draw back is that the company needs to increase their script library. The theatre I am currently working with found that for next season the only scripts they had available were The Addams Family and Anything Goes. They didn't have The Heiress, Of Mice and Men, The Philadelphia Story or Harvey--maybe not overly done shows, but certainly fairly common.
  • IBDB, Broadway.com and TheatreMania - I really like these companion apps to the websites.
  • Musicnotes Sheet Music Viewer newbielink:https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/musicnotes-sheet-music-viewer/id369741034?mt=8 [nonactive] - Great little companion app the website.

SMMeade

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Company Manager, HVSF
« Reply #57 on: Apr 28, 2014, 11:20 pm »
I swear someone mentioned this, but I can't find it via search, so maybe I'm thinking of somewhere else, but I've been using this application called Trello a lot. The iPhone app is okay for reference, but I use their web-app more. It's kind of like a to-do list, but more project based. You make board with sub-lists/topics. It's come in really handy as I am applying for jobs post-grad- I have a jobs board and lists within the board for "research" "draft [write cover letter, collect reference letters, etc]," "future [apply to this when it opens up]," "done," and then I can color label for different things ("interviewed 4/23" "resume on file"), add links to applications, add comments about an interview, etc. Obviously, I love it.

Other go-tos:
Google Drive and Dropbox- I use Drive for more personal things that I like to keep handy, and Dropbox usually for things I need to share with casts, mainly because I have more storage on Dropbox.
Evernote
Pocket
HopStop- has great maps/directions not only for NYC but a ton of public transit systems
Yelp- "crap, where is a hardware store?"
I keep hearing that Wundernote is all that and a bag of chips, but I still think paper and pen is the only way to actually get the things on my to-do list done.

Also, I don't think other Fringe Fests use this, but if you are ever a VD or ACR at FringeNYC, Salesforce Chatter has an app that helped me lose, regain and lose my sanity again, especially leading up to tech.

« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2014, 11:26 pm by SMMeade »

ArmelleEnys

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sep 24, 2014, 12:47 pm »
I'm gonna point out that Wunderlist is ALL THAT AND A BAG OF CHIPS. Haha. I've really enjoyed the fact that I can share my tasks lists with other Wunderlist account users. I use it with my SM team as well as groceries lists and other 'to-do's' that I share with my S.O.

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #59 on: Sep 24, 2014, 04:27 pm »
I'm gonna point out that Wunderlist is ALL THAT AND A BAG OF CHIPS. Haha. I've really enjoyed the fact that I can share my tasks lists with other Wunderlist account users. I use it with my SM team as well as groceries lists and other 'to-do's' that I share with my S.O.

Using Wunderlist on my current show and it's been really great having a shared to-do list/note-taking/chat app with the rest of the SM team.
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.