Author Topic: Useful iPhone apps?  (Read 39799 times)

sarahbear42

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Useful iPhone apps?
« on: Jul 24, 2008, 10:46 am »
So I'm in the process of inheriting my husband's iPhone, since he just *has to* have the new 3G one, and I'm wondering if anyone else has one and can suggest some useful applications to put on it? With all the various types of apps they've come out with for iPhone lately, I'm sure there must be something good for us out there!

(Stuff that's particularly fun and/or useful in a non-SMing-way also appreciated!)

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Useful iPhone apps?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2008, 02:55 pm »
I got the Shakespeare app developed by Readdle.  I also downloaded Flashlight because I can't count the number of times I've used my iPhone as a flashlight in prop rooms.  The game Aurora Feint has nothing to do with theatre, but is very fun.  All of these are free.
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

Celeste_SM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2008, 11:25 pm »
I'll second "Flashlight". 

Trism is good for killing time.  :)  Not so great for productivity.

nmno

« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2008, 02:10 am »
Just got my iphone (was really resistant but after a day I'm a believer).
some of the apps I've got - all free
Facebook (self explanatory).
Pandora (create "radio stations" based on your favorite artists...  I LOVE pandora!)
Shazam (hearing a song on the radio/in a shopping mall, want to know what it is, Shazam can help)
Flashlight (as mentioned)
Sportacular (b/c I love my football - tracks info for your fantasy teams as well)
Urbanspoon which looks up restaurants - perhaps helpful for those touring...  I plan to use on those 2 show days when the other SM and I look blankly at each other around 4:30p and say "where are we going to eat today".
iProcrastination (to do lists).

teh_Dutch

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2008, 01:25 pm »
The stopwatch within the Clock button. It's not an app but I've found it to a lifesaver when my stopwatch has either run out of batteries or conveniently dropped out of my bag.

vicky17ad

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2008, 02:22 pm »
hiya im a student at the RSAMD in glasgow and there are 4 second year stage managers, as part of the new develping coarse we are going to get issued with an itouch each to as a 12 month trial, we are to find apps for it to help with stage management...i have seen the above posts but anyone else got sugestions of what we can download for my itouch, for his trail to make the itouch a must have stage managers technical gadget????

cheers
stress is a demon

John Wilkie

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2008, 02:50 pm »
File Magnet is one of the most useful apps I've tried. It allows you to load pdf's, docs and a host of other file types onto your device. Unfortunately you cant modify them, but it would be a great way to carry your paperwork around i.e running Lists and Schedules. Another great utility is all the GPS stuff, great for marking prop locations straight from your contacts.

Celeste_SM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2008, 01:32 pm »
For master electritions iSwitch DMX is fantastic.

sillymacboy

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: They That Have Borne the Battle (One-Act Festival)- Workshop Theater Co.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2008, 02:23 am »
I've had to use the stopwatch in the clock app a couple times. I prefer my actual stopwatch though.

It might not me as exciting as some apps, but having a MobileMe account to keep your email and calender in sync on your iPhone and computer is invaluable to me. I have all of my production email sent to my mac.com account so I get it and can reply to it on my phone. And the calendar keeps my whole life scheduled, which I had a hard time doing otherwise.

Some of my favorite time wasters are the facebook app, MazeFinger, PapiJump, and Tic Tac Free.

sourc3

• Contributor
  • Resident Master of The Universe
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Still workin' on it
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2009, 05:59 pm »
Seconded on Flashlight, and the stopwatch within Clock. Mail itself is INCREDIBLY useful for tapping out quick e-mails to people as needed, as is Address Book for quick consolidation of information in contact lists when people update you and you're away from your laptop. I'm of the "new school" stage managers and have gotten to the almost entirely paperless except for hard-copy backups point, so for me, an iPhone (iPod Touch in your case) is almost irreplaceable as a necessary gadget. Scheduling in Calendar, etc.

In terms of specific apps, I've not discovered any "must-haves" for a stage manager, though Sudoku is great for killing time :-P
-David

madiobrien

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Mad Dog Theatrical Productions
  • Affiliations: Texas A&M, USITT
  • Current Gig: Texas A&M & San Pedro Playhouse
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2009, 04:30 pm »
iHandy level is a free application, there is a whole tool bag Surface level, ihandy carpenter, Protractor, Plumb Bob, Ruler. could be helpful if you work in a shop and are building set pieces. I also like Loopt, if my cast memebers have an iphone and are on Loopt it allows em to see where they are, very helpful if they are running late.  Kindof stalkerish, but you can hide your location if you want.
Mad Dog.

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2009, 02:51 pm »
I really like "Recorder" and "iTick", a tape recorder and a metronome.
Also the "Translator" for doing just that.
Won't even mention Black Jack, Hangman, Sol Free, Wordle and for quickie naps - "Nature SDS"
Ordo ab chao

Libby

« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2009, 01:10 pm »
YPmobile - yellow pages.
iTalk - voice recorder. You can get iTalk sync to put them on your computer.
Easy Writer - easier to type an email since it lets you do it in landscape format.
AroundMe - finds all sorts of buisness based on gps. Banks, bars, coffee, gas, hospitals, hotels, theatres parking, phamacies, resturants, supermarkets, etc. (A PAing lifesaver)
Air Sharing - data transfer. store files on phone.
Folders - to save different docs
Spreadsheets
Air Mouse Pro - turns your phone into a computer mouse.
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2009, 05:44 pm by Libby »

johnmurdock

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • John D Murdock, Stage Manager
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2009, 02:24 am »
I will second the notion of having mobileme in conjunction with the great apps that you can put to use on the iphone make it invaluable personally - just living in new york and making getting around much easier, as well as professionally in MANY ways!
John Murdock
AEA Stage Manager
John@Johndmurdock.com
http://Http://www.johndmurdock.com

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:00 am »
A few days ago I read a study that, among other things, states that free iPhone apps have a less than 5% chance for being used after thirty days from initial download, while paid applications are actually even less likely to be used after thirty days.  (Study is here for those interested)

I am a bit curious to see how this relates to our membership here.  Since it seems a lot of you have downloaded these apps specifically to aid you in your daily work I am inclined to think our membership might use their apps more often than the average Joe.

So let's hear it - in addition to the useful and cool apps you've downloaded, how often are you using them?
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt