Author Topic: TECHNOLOGY: Would you use it?  (Read 2927 times)

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
  • Experience: Professional
TECHNOLOGY: Would you use it?
« on: Sep 10, 2010, 01:57 pm »
I would like your input, if you would be so willing to offer it.

I have received quite a few PMs and emails recently regarding the Google Sites project that I took on for "A Streetcar Named Desire." Most inquiries are from those curious about what was done, while others are looking for a template to start sites for their own productions.
A friend suggested I take my email responses a step further and set up an online site describing exactly what I did and how to replicate it yourself, specifically for stage managers. It struck me as interesting, and I'm very much about sharing information, but I wouldn't want to take it on unless there was a decent amount of interest and feedback from this community - who, after all, helped me to make the decision to start the original site in the first place.

I know there is debate on whether setting up a site is necessary much less desired, but I know some are curious enough to try it. So, would you be interested? What would you like to learn? If there was a blank template you could download and quickly fill in the blanks yourself, would you be more prone to use Sites? Any questions?

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
Re: TECHNOLOGY: Would you use it?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2010, 09:01 pm »
I'd be interested in having a look - I may not use it for a while, but it could be an idea. Could you send me a link to your Streetcar site as an example?

Chris

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2010, 12:17 am »
I would definitely be interested! I was thinking about trying it out for an upcoming show that I'm doing as an experiment (it's a 2-person cast, so I figure if it crashes & burns it won't be a huge deal), so if I could see someone else's that would be a big help!
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

TarytheA

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2010, 10:12 pm »
I would definitely be interested.  I'm not interested in giving up the physical call board, but I'm curious about the possibility of having both a physical location and a web forum for doling out information (especially for out-of-town designers and such).  What piques my interest specifically is the ability to put documents (contact sheet, production calendar, light plot, scenic drafts, etc.) online so that they can be accessed by all members of the production team at any time (well, any time one has internet access).  I'm currently testing Google Docs for that purpose, but have so far been finding it slow to load - and I haven't been able to organize it as neatly as the Streetcar website was, with sections for each design area.  Perhaps there's a way and I just need to play around with it more, but so far it's just a list of all my documents - including Google documents from other, unrelated things.

What I loved about the Streetcar site was that there was a main site/call board accessible by everyone, and a separate site for only the production team with a place for the production documents that the actors didn't have a need to see.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
-Herm Albright

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2010, 12:22 pm »
I'd be interested in having a look - I may not use it for a while, but it could be an idea. Could you send me a link to your Streetcar site as an example?

Chris

PM me with your email address and I'll add you to the site as a viewer. Anyone else, please feel free to do the same. Thanks for the feedback thus far, it's been very helpful!