Author Topic: Style Question  (Read 8929 times)

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Style Question
« Reply #15 on: Aug 17, 2012, 06:26 pm »
I currently have a PSM who I have seen wear pants once maybe twice over the last three months, at  parties that had very little to do with work. She wears heels most days for setting up rehearsal halls, trekking across campus, and calling the show (standing up).   I would say she sets the high standard of what we should wear but doesn't tell us what to wear, but it is also what she feels comfortable in, which I think is most important (too a degree obviously)
I wear shorts most days cause we work outside,  mostly nice button ups with the sleeves rolled, t-shirts when it's really hot, jeans when it's not so hot.
Sneakers, TOMS, or my black steel toed sneakers, depending on whats going o that day.
My running blacks are anything from a black suit for opening nights to black t-shirt and shorts (because well i can sort of get away with it) 

I don't think I have a set idea of what I am going to wear as an SM.
My only rules are:
- No sweat pants, or pajama pants
- Nothing that will make me unnecessarily sweaty (I am a sweaty person)
- Nothing with holes in it
- Nothing that makes me feel uncomfortable physically or mentally.
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

Lauren

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Western Michigan University Alumni
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager, National Tour of Mamma Mia!
« Reply #16 on: Aug 19, 2012, 12:43 am »
I tend to always shoot for business casual or better. Part of it is that I'm young, and often work with older casts/directors, etc, but part of it is that is what makes me feel good. I always joke that the two items of clothes that make me feel the most confident are my steel toes and suits. I'm personally a huge fan of the sneakers, nice jeans, and a button down look and a suit jacket if it's chilly. I almost always wear closed toe shoes for safety and practicality (the primary spaces I work in require a lot of walking through the scene shop to fetch extra chairs, props, etc, not to mention the usual issues of moving heavy things around), and heels are fairly uncommon for me. I find that I dress a little better for SM jobs outside my university just because those are times when I can dress specifically for the job rather than class, lighting calls, dance classes, etc, though I try to keep it all fairly consistent because I prefer to promote a professional attitude in the university setting. I've found it has actually helped maintain a better attitude in the rehearsal room among some of the less experienced members of casts. I think that it's most important to wear whatever it is that makes you feel confident, authoritative, and ready to run a rehearsal.
"The truth is rarely pure, and never simple" -Oscar Wilde

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #17 on: Aug 21, 2012, 01:19 pm »
I think BalletPSM’s point about the culture of the specific theater is important, and this is also an issue of personal choice.  Most places I have worked, even admin staff dress very casually.  A clipboard in hand and a pencil behind each ear are all the accessories I need.  Shorts, t-shirts, yoga pants…any of those would fit in better than a dress/skirt/suit during rehearsals and tech.  Lots of us have worked in settings that are not well staffed enough for SMs to avoid getting physical on a regular basis.  During the run I’d be more likely to dress up a bit because I’m less likely to be getting involved with anything messy, and if there is an emergency I might want to look more professional interacting with patrons.  But I’ve never encountered high expectations as far as a professional dress code among theater staff.  For ASMs, I think safe footwear and not displaying underwear while bending over are vital.  While yes, some people can accomplish plenty in a pair of heels, I feel they are more of a safety hazard than non-heels.
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #18 on: Aug 21, 2012, 10:24 pm »
My problem is that I look very young, and I'm small. In a jeans + t shirt + sneakers, I look like a junior high skater kid. Not exactly authoritative.

I dress practically, but I can't dress down. Not in my nature- I don't own sweatpants or hoodies! I'd say typically I'm in skinny jeans, a nice top/sweater/tank+cardigan, and boots or flats. Jewelry always. If there's a press event, or rehearsals/shows where I know I won't be running around, I prefer dresses but always with flats.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #19 on: Aug 21, 2012, 10:38 pm »
I think BalletPSM’s point about the culture of the specific theater is important, and this is also an issue of personal choice.  Most places I have worked, even admin staff dress very casually. 

I agree with this as well, and this applies to any line of work or company.  I have always had the mindset though to dress for the position you want, not the position you have.  If you are a PA and want to ASM, mirror the ASMs in level of "formality" (for lack of a better word; I don't want to say "style" as that's a personal choice, especially in the theatre industry), if you are an ASM and want to PSM, dress to a similar level as the PSM, etc..

While it won't guarantee upward mobility it will certainly help perception, even if only subconsciously.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
« Reply #20 on: Aug 22, 2012, 05:21 am »
When I was freelance, my wardrobe consisted of about 12 long sleeved black dress shirts and 4 pairs of black dress pants combined with black socks and black steel capped dress shoes.   Black sports coat, french cuffs and a tie (usually a bright tie) for opening night. And just because every gentleman should have a hat, a trilby for a bit of personal flair.

For a guy, a dress shirt and black dress pants just tends to hit that middle ground of "Smart Business Casual". Black just made sense being backstage since I could use them in all my other roles too.

Nowadays I wear a charcoal suit with generally fairly loud coloured shirts and a complementing tie.

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 24, 2012, 02:25 am »
When I was freelance, my wardrobe consisted of about 12 long sleeved black dress shirts and 4 pairs of black dress pants combined with black socks and black steel capped dress shoes.   

Certain things we buy can be tax deductible if "they are not suitable for everyday use" I don't know about you but how often do you see people wearing long black sleeve shirts, dickies, and steel toes out on the town...so add that to your 2%

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #22 on: Aug 24, 2012, 09:57 am »
If it CAN be worn on the street, it is NOT tax deductible.
Certain things we buy can be tax deductible if "they are not suitable for everyday use" I don't know about you but how often do you see people wearing long black sleeve shirts, dickies, and steel toes out on the town...so add that to your 2%
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #23 on: Aug 24, 2012, 01:37 pm »

Quite often, as a matter of fact.  Maybe not wearing them all at the same time, but certainly piecemeal. 

I'm with Ruth on this one.  And on a larger note be careful what you decide to deduct from taxes.  No reason to flag the IRS (or similar tax collecting body) to pay any more attention to you than they already do.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 24, 2012, 08:56 pm »

Quite often, as a matter of fact.  Maybe not wearing them all at the same time, but certainly piecemeal. 

I'm with Ruth on this one.  And on a larger note be careful what you decide to deduct from taxes.  No reason to flag the IRS (or similar tax collecting body) to pay any more attention to you than they already do.

To clarify obviously you can wear a black long sleeve shirt everyday I was more focused on the specific protective and abnormal items we can be required to wear  and buy for working in theatre (don't go out and try to deduct your opening night outfit)