Onstage > Tools of the Trade

Squeaky shoes on stage? New trick!

(1/2) > >>

Tempest:
When my cast can't use the stage for rehearsal, our theatre's rehearsal space is an abysmal little basement room with old fashioned school-tile type floors.  You know, the ones that EVERYONE'S shoes squeak on?  And one of our actresses was wearing new boots.  It got very distracting in rehearsal.
Solution?
Grab some spray-starch from the costume department, spray on bottom of shoes, allow to dry, viola!  Much fewer squeaks! Not slippery!  And leaves no residue on the floor!  If it works on those tiles, it's got to work on a stage surface. 
Thought I'd share!

TechGal:
Good thinking.  Thanks for the tip! I'll have to remember that one.   :)

Mac Calder:
Any other tips on squeeky shoes would be a blessing - This sounds great, except I break out in a rash when I come into contact with spray starch (must be one of the active ingredients, I don't know), and I my shoes squeek on most wooden/linoleum floors.

My usual method is to put some socks over my shoes when there is an audience out there and I need to be silent, except it is VERY slippery.

Psychedelictheatre:
On several shows I have Stage Managed for Actors have employed the spray starch, and also the socks over shoes.

One actress used to use what could be described as tights, but with the rubber bits that you see on 'slipper socks'. They knocked out the queak, kept the grip, didn't need spraying, and didn't look ridiculously big because of the socks.

centaura:
Hmm.. I have a related non-slip.  I was a clogger in my younger days, and if we had to dance on a slippery stage we'd put masking tape on our taps.  It worked for clogging taps because they make sound by clapping together.  Not sure if it would work on a typical shoe,

-Centaura

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version