Author Topic: SM Software  (Read 26017 times)

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
Re: SM Software
« Reply #15 on: Sep 28, 2007, 02:59 pm »
I've started creating an Access database template...I think it'll take me a while, but when it's done I'll post it (free and editable!).

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #16 on: Sep 28, 2007, 08:19 pm »
?
Most large RF transmitters of any type have backup generators.("gennys")
Most backup generators are incapable of producing enough current to allow the transmitter to operate at full power anyway.

Wow, i'm a dork.
Broadcast, RF tech, and Electrician talk in one post.
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #17 on: Sep 28, 2007, 10:07 pm »
Tidied up a bunch of off-topic posts in here.  Let's keep it on track, folks.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #18 on: Sep 29, 2007, 12:21 pm »
Sarah not sure I agree with you here!  :P

10 years ago cell phones would never replace land lines and email would never replace snail mail.  Both are well on their way!  It's only a matter of time before someone is able to create an effective SM package.

Cell phones were useless during 9/11 -- only landlines were working.  Just saying...

Umm.  I don't know where you were but landlines weren't really working so well either that day.

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sep 29, 2007, 02:05 pm »
Sarah not sure I agree with you here!  :P

10 years ago cell phones would never replace land lines and email would never replace snail mail.  Both are well on their way!  It's only a matter of time before someone is able to create an effective SM package.

Cell phones were useless during 9/11 -- only landlines were working.  Just saying...

Umm.  I don't know where you were but landlines weren't really working so well either that day.

About 20 miles West of Ground Zero.  Land Lines worked fine here, cell phones were useless.

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #20 on: Sep 29, 2007, 08:53 pm »
Okay, before this turns into a debate on the relative usefulness of telecommunication devices in the event of a crisis, I am going to ask that this thread return to the topic at hand (SM Software).

Thankyou

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
« Reply #21 on: Sep 30, 2007, 12:52 pm »
It would make me very uncomfortable to call a show from a computer screen; I don't know why, but the thought makes me uneasy. This is my dream of the most efficient, applicable and useful SM software:

Some fantastically brilliant SM geek creates a e-notebook (wireless!!) capable of taking electronic blocking and line notes. Drag and drop style things...tap this, highlight that...the stylus should be designed to look like a pencil in homage to the good ol' days. The menus would, of course, be customizable, say, like, the symbols library in VectorWorks, but of course there could be a starter menu of symbols included. This tablet would be able to print line notes to distribute at the end of rehearsal, or might organize them for e-mailing to the cast. Of course, you would need the script for this endeavor, so...

Another suave and exceedingly charming SM pitches a plan to the Frenchs and the Dramatists and the Whitmarks, et al, to create a subscription based service for e-texts of scripts. An SM, or theatre, would be able to download the e-text of a script into the above tablet. To try to mitigate copyright infringements, there would be a built in expiration date (like trial software) say, a few days after the opening of the show. The suave and charming SM would also suggest to the big publishers that there might be rate packages from which the theatre could choose, to determine how many full printings of the script would be allowed from the tablet. Printing information would be monitored, stored in the tablet and sent back, via the internet, to the publishers, maybe on a weekly basis. Line note printings wouldn't be monitored because the amount of copyrighted text printed in a line note is negligible. Maybe you can only store two scripts in the tablet at any given time. Most of us aren't working on more than two shows at once, anyway.

If any other SMs out there are interested in geeking out on this project, I'm gung ho to see if it can be done. If any other SMs out there are already doing something like this, I'd like to be involved, 'cause I thought of it, too.

Cherie B. Tay

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 01, 2007, 03:36 am »
It would make me very uncomfortable to call a show from a computer screen; I don't know why, but the thought makes me uneasy.

This tablet would be able to print line notes to distribute at the end of rehearsal, or might organize them for e-mailing to the cast. Of course, you would need the script for this endeavor, so...

Another suave and exceedingly charming SM pitches a plan to the Frenchs and the Dramatists and the Whitmarks, et al, to create a subscription based service for e-texts of scripts. An SM, or theatre, would be able to download the e-text of a script into the above tablet. To try to mitigate copyright infringements, there would be a built in expiration date (like trial software) say, a few days after the opening of the show. The suave and charming SM would also suggest to the big publishers that there might be rate packages from which the theatre could choose, to determine how many full printings of the script would be allowed from the tablet. Printing information would be monitored, stored in the tablet and sent back, via the internet, to the publishers, maybe on a weekly basis. Line note printings wouldn't be monitored because the amount of copyrighted text printed in a line note is negligible. Maybe you can only store two scripts in the tablet at any given time. Most of us aren't working on more than two shows at once, anyway.

If any other SMs out there are interested in geeking out on this project, I'm gung ho to see if it can be done. If any other SMs out there are already doing something like this, I'd like to be involved, 'cause I thought of it, too.

1) I do plan on calling my show from my computer screen, but flipped , so that it's like a book, and covers the full page. I will also have my paper script beside me ICE.

2) I highlight any line notes in my script, go through at the end of the night, sort, and email or print.

3) I just scan in my scripts or type them in anyway.
But it is a good idea.

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
« Reply #23 on: Oct 01, 2007, 01:39 pm »
2) I highlight any line notes in my script, go through at the end of the night, sort, and email or print.
Doesn't highlighting line notes get confusing after a while?  Your book would start to look like a rainbow exploded (if different colors are used) or would just get confusing as you add each day's highlights to it.

Cherie B. Tay

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Oct 01, 2007, 04:57 pm »
Doesn't highlighting line notes get confusing after a while?  Your book would start to look like a rainbow exploded (if different colors are used) or would just get confusing as you add each day's highlights to it.

I high light that day's notes, go through and Copy-paste into emails. Select the whole document, and un-highlight everything when I'm done.

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
« Reply #25 on: Oct 01, 2007, 08:00 pm »
I high light that day's notes, go through and Copy-paste into emails. Select the whole document, and un-highlight everything when I'm done.

I've done this with great success when I have access to an e-text, i.e. a new play or one that someone has already typed or scanned. I'm not spending my time scanning or typing a script into the computer. I don't think it necessary for my efficiency comfort level, but just convenient and cool. I want someone else to do the tedious part of getting, say, The Cherry Orchard into the the computer.

PSMAK

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 02, 2007, 08:35 am »
I've been working with macros on Excel and trying to figure out how to use them. I took the tutorial of learning about macros on Microsoft's website. I also have a book on Excel (2003). My plan, once I have learned enough, is to use a macro, in which a userform is used, to create a database. One you type in a name of a person or a prop or a date, etc., and then you put a check next to a box that distributes it to another Excel workbook. I imagine this will take me a while to figure out and execute. So, if any of you are really good with Excel and know what I'm talking about, could you please give me some pointers.   Thanks!

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
« Reply #27 on: Oct 02, 2007, 01:54 pm »

That makes sense.  Sorry I misunderstood - thought you were doing the highlighting in the paper script.

Cherie B. Tay

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Oct 03, 2007, 01:43 am »
^ Hahaha. That would be crazy.

In my paper script, I circle in pencil, so I can see what they keep getting wrong after giving them line notes about 10 times for the same thing...

lilmonki in black

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Oct 24, 2007, 11:30 pm »
Stage Logic makes a program called Storyboard.  It features drag and drop blocking and a few other things.  I'm still trying to figure it out on the demo.  www.stagelogic.com

Once upon a time more than a year ago they were going to release some kind of stage management software, but then they changed their mind because they wanted to integrate it with some of their other software and release it all at the same time... they still haven't, but I keep bugging them.  I wish I knew something about coding, as I know what I want out of SM software, though it might not work for other stage managers... I'm young yet, and I can see how having my own program would benefit me for a *very* long time.  For now, having all my templates on my computer works fine.
We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

We the willing led by the unknowing are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.