Author Topic: SM Kit *for students*  (Read 7886 times)

Jonas_A

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: New Zealand Symphony Orchestra
  • Experience: Professional
SM Kit *for students*
« on: Feb 26, 2013, 05:26 am »
Hi all,

So, I'm starting my BFA next week and I'm beginning to assemble my first real kit past a bucketload of sharpies and tape, and I'm wondering:

What should go in a student SM's kit?

I've seen some spectacular kits - extra large, extra small, designed for dance, prepared for plays, etc. But almost all of them are being used by people far older than me, with a lot more experience, working on much bigger projects. I'm not looking to make this kind of a kit; I'm looking for something that helps me get what I need to do done, without it weighing more than me or costing a small fortune. To make this a bit more specific;

If you had to pick the top 10-20 things that are in your kit that you wish you'd had starting out, what would they be?

Before anyone comments; I've done some extensive searching around the forum, and I've found lots and lots of lists, and I am getting some great ideas... I just feel that if I keep throwing everything that seems vaguely useful into my kit, before long I'll be carting a small trailer to shows.

Looking forward to hearing thoughts on this! :)

brettnexx

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Apprentice; Closer Than Ever; Dry Cold Producions
Re: SM Kit *for students*
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2013, 04:14 pm »
  • First Aid Kit (Essential)
  • Office Supplies (Including Pencils, Pens, Erasers, White-out, Sharpener, all of your highlighters, sharpies, paper clips, 3-hole punch etc...
  • Scale Ruler
  • Stencils (shapes for blocking notation)
  • Tabs or labels (Whatever you use for separating your script into scenes, as well as what you use for marking cues)
  • Chargers (for your laptop or phone, and various other ones in case someone needs a charger)
  • Extension Cords
  • Tape! (Spike, Board, Gaff, Duct, Scotch, E etc...)
  • Post-Its (I use them for line notes)
  • Tape Measure (25' regular tape measures [I have 3], 100' tape measure (I have 2)

This, in my opinion, is the basics you need. As long as you can do your job, this is a good place to start off with.

I know other stage managers that keep other things; like greeting cards and small gifts (for birthdays); mints, gum, candies; kleenex; cigarettes (in case someone runs out); small bottle of alcohol (in case someone is having a bad day); hand sanitizer

But as you grow as a stage manager, so will your kit.

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2013, 06:27 pm »
Really? I think, as you grow as a stage manager, you work for more and more companies who supply everything you need, and don't expect the SM to act as a supply closet, funded by personal money. I haven't used or added to my kit, in years. I supply only my personal stopwatch, automatic pencil, leads, and stick erasers. Anything else, I expect the producing organization to supply it.

(And yes, I see the thread title is *for students*.... My statement, in relationship to the quote below, still stands.)

"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2013, 06:49 pm »
Really? I think, as you grow as a stage manager, you work for more and more companies who supply everything you need, and don't expect the SM to act as a supply closet, funded by personal money. I haven't used or added to my kit, in years. I supply only my personal stopwatch, automatic pencil, leads, and stick erasers. Anything else, I expect the producing organization to supply it.

(And yes, I see the thread title is *for students*.... My statement, in relationship to the quote below, still stands.)

First of all, I agree with Ruth- the more I work, the less I provide.

Secondly- as you are student, I would urge you to speak with your TD or whoever is in charge of the stage managers at your school and see if they would consider providing kits for the stage managers. When I was a student, my fellow SMs and I approached our advisor with a breakdown of how much our kits cost, and the department agreed to provide them for us. They bought 6 toolboxes & the SM and ASMs signed them out for the duration of the show.

We already had first aid kits in the green room, shop, booth, and backstage, so we just had bandaids and hand sanitizer.
Pencils, erasers, hiliters, post its, white out, hole punch, scale rule, stapler.
Sewing kit, bobby pins, hair ties, tictacs, stopwatch.
Tape measures and other tools were available in the shop.
Anything beyond that we provided for ourselves.

I realize that is not standard for most departments, but it's worth a shot!
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2013, 07:39 pm »
I have stuff I use for one-offs or events, but in reality - it's my lap top, my metal scale rule and a stopwatch.  (Now, sometimes I will bring my lamination machine or cool paper cutter in - but that's for my style flourishes). 

When a company hires me - they hire me - if they want to rent my toys, that will cost them more.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

brettnexx

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2013, 08:01 pm »
I'm mostly advising for right when you start out.

I work mostly on shows my friends company are producing (It's still guest artist, and considered professional), so they don't have the resources to pay for those kind of items. Also, it's agreed that I will supply my own kit, they have paid me for tape in the past, if I used a lot. But generally, my thought is that you need to be ready for any sort of rehearsal setting, any company that you may work for, or any space you may be performing in.

The 10 items I listed I believe are generally stuff that you need to create a rehearsal space your own (especially as a student, or if you are doing more community, non (full) equity shows.)

The extra stuff that I have listed are mostly so that you can create a good atmosphere in rehearsal (seeing as rehearsals can sometimes get high stress, high emotion)

Jonas_A

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: New Zealand Symphony Orchestra
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2013, 06:49 am »
Thanks for the feedback so far, everyone!

brett - I'm liking a lot of those ideas... Uni has asked us to get a scale rule, but I'm loving the idea of the phone charger and the extension lead. 3m/10' is usually enough to get you out of a sticky situation with badly placed powerpoints.

Ruth - I'd like to think the uni will supply us with most of what we need, but I know the amateur companies I work with are notorious for asking their crew to supply everything... I've budgeted for a cordless drill this year because the scenic shop doesn't have anywhere near enough and crew are expected to have their own. I'm trying to write it off in my head as an investment of sorts.

Bex - Interesting idea! I know the students studying Design Realisation (costume/set design) as part of the course are sick of paying for so much equipment when they really don't need a set each... I'm definitely chasing this one up.

Matthew - I completely understand your philosophy on hiring the person not the tools and 100% agree in the case of pro situations, but what about amateur companies? I'm not sure about in the States, but here SM budgets on amateur productions are sub-zero; we're expected to provide what we need, and then some. Is it better to fight for a policy change and get a cut of the budget, or should we suck it up and provide equipment including some consumables?

/Jonas

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2013, 08:22 am »
Matthew - I completely understand your philosophy on hiring the person not the tools and 100% agree in the case of pro situations, but what about amateur companies? I'm not sure about in the States, but here SM budgets on amateur productions are sub-zero; we're expected to provide what we need, and then some. Is it better to fight for a policy change and get a cut of the budget, or should we suck it up and provide equipment including some consumables?

Jonas - we are in drastically different worlds - I feel at times if you are doing it for free or little support, then the the producer should be providing MORE, rather then less.  (Really the only time I am schlepping in my stuff is for a one-off, or for a "for fee" type event, and it's cheaper to use my stuff, then go buy stuff). 

But ultimately, it's about it's what you feel comfortable with and if it makes your job easier.  We have the same issue here for amateur theater.  To be honest, I am trying to lead a small rebellion about stage management and low paying jobs - so I am probably not the best person to ask about - I am wishing for better working conditions for stage managers across the board.  And truly wish that supplies were provided for you everyone.

But as a student, these are the things I wish I had had in my "kit", this list maybe long - take a look at previos posts as well

1) Nice case
2) Pencils
3) Sharpener
4) Erasers
5) Nice Pen
6) basic first aid, but no drugs (laws about handing out drugs are complicated, make sure you theater actually has a first aid kit for use)
7) Sharpies
8) China Marker
9) Three Hole Punch
10) Scale Ruler
11) Straight Edge
12) Tape (All kinds)
13) Three Hold Punch reinforcements
14) Label Maker plus tape
15) Laminater and Supplies
16) Paper Cuter
17) Scissors
18) Paper clips and staples
19) Clipboard
20) Post It, Post It Flags
21) Good, but inexpensive stopwatches (2 or three) - don't buy one you are going to mourn if it gets lost
22) Backup power cords
23) USB Extension Cable
24) Extension Cord
25) Surge Protection
26) Cube Tap
27) Binder Clips
28) Corkscrew
29) A couple of forks and spoons
30) Septic Pencil
31) Basic Sewing Supplies
32) Razor
33) Un-lubed condoms
34) Batteries

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2013, 02:58 am »
In addition to what most people have said I like to have:
- Screwdriver and Hammer (mostly for threatening people, just kidding, sort of)
- All kinds of glue (gorilla, super, clear, stick)
- Flashlight, and other lights.
- Small speakers
- My personal headset for when they have the giant scary ones that kill your ears.

And then a bunch of other stuff I just think is fun, or entertaining, or potentially randomly useful but not which you would need in a beginning kit.

But ultimately, it's about it's what you feel comfortable with and if it makes your job easier.  We have the same issue here for amateur theater.  To be honest, I am trying to lead a small rebellion about stage management and low paying jobs - so I am probably not the best person to ask about - I am wishing for better working conditions for stage managers across the board.  And truly wish that supplies were provided for you everyone.

I'm of the same mindset, I show up to most gigs with a pen, pencil, laptop, some post-its and a question about how expenses are handled. Companies of all sizes should be able to cover our basic needs, especially when we know how much is not going to our salary, our supplies are not that expensive.

"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2013, 10:15 am »
And there is a huge difference from bringing an item because we need it to the job, and my bringing an item because I want to do it MY way.

You can easily do contact cards with laminating them, but I like to laminate them - thus I bring my laminator.

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2013, 02:51 pm »
As a student, you need to know two things:
- People will borrow things from your kit and never bring them back.
- People will straight-up steal things from your kit.

They mean well, and it's not like they're hoarding your stuff: they take your tape, and they use your tape, and they put your tape down, and they don't think to return it. (Or the pen goes into their pocket. Or the stapler gets handed off to someone else who needs to staple stuff. etc. etc. etc.) It's being used on the show, it's sort of an investment in being a student in this sort of program, and you'll probably find other people willing to give in kind. (Someone walked off with your stapler? Borrow a friend's.)

What does all this mean? My advice:
1) Don't pack anything of any emotional significance in your kit. If you'd feel bad losing it, keep it out.
2) Don't pack anything expensive in your kit. If you have a taste for fancy pens, for example, those need to stay in your pockets. Keep a box of cheap ballpoints in the kit: those are the ones that get lent out. (Read: the ones which disappear.)
3) If something keeps getting stolen from you, stop carrying it. Do not become known as The Student Who Always Has Pencils. (A stapler, pens, etc.) Help out in genuine emergencies, don't become everyone's go-to option for free stuff.
4) Do regular inventory. Weekly should be often enough. The worst time to discover you've run out of something is right when you need to use it.
5) Keep an eye on it. Unless it's in a locker, behind a locked door or within your line of sight, someone might be plundering your staples as we speak.

"Plundering your staples" may seem a colourful term of phrase, but sometimes it really did feel like I was a grizzled old cop from a 1970s TV serial. ("I've seen a brand-new toolbox, fresh from Home Depot, emptied of all its elastic bands within twenty seconds. They're like vultures, and they don't leave until you're all out of post-its. Don't tell me what it's like on the streets: I know.")
- My personal headset for when they have the giant scary ones that kill your ears.
See, I carry a big giant scary one in my kit, for when they want me to use those piddly featherweight clip-ons that always give me migraines. ;)

abellizzi

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2013, 01:20 am »
I've noticed that besides organizational tools, I need a lot of things for illness or injury - aspirin, cough drops (many of these are needed for musicals), tums, bandaids.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2013, 03:15 am »
Be cautious in carrying painkillers. We've discussed the potential liability issues that arise from dispensing meds backstage, and workarounds.

brettnexx

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2013, 07:54 pm »
I don't know how it is in the states, but I know that in Canada, if you indirectly give someone the OtC medicine, it's fine. Either putting it on a table, giving it to someone else, who then gives it to the other person. I have a small satchel that has a bunch of medicine, but I also keep sunglasses and a book in their, and if someone needs some aspirin or Ibuprofen I just hand them the bag.

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2013, 04:18 am »
I don't know how it is in the states, but I know that in Canada, if you indirectly give someone the OtC medicine, it's fine. Either putting it on a table, giving it to someone else, who then gives it to the other person. I have a small satchel that has a bunch of medicine, but I also keep sunglasses and a book in their, and if someone needs some aspirin or Ibuprofen I just hand them the bag.
The legal precedent in this area is both murky and silly, but I don't think you're as protected as you think you are.

The key question isn't how the medication is obtained, but why. An employee can take all the pills they like, in much the same way that they can eat as many sandwiches as they like: the employer isn't responsible for things that the employee puts into their body, because that would be silly.

Problems emerge when employers direct employees to take pills, and courts have found that merely issuing an employee with pills is tantamount to a direction.

e.g: "I have a headache." "Oh. Okay. Here's some Aspirin." would still constitute a direction.

The only way to be absolutely safe from liability here is to remove every conceivable element of direction. (Selling it through a vending machine, for example. The employee put in that dime of their own volition: what they do with their single-dose satchel is their own affair.) Handing the employee a bag containing Aspirin (especially if it's clear that they're being given the Aspirin because they're complaining about a headache) probably wouldn't pass muster.