Author Topic: Scheduling and Calendar Applications  (Read 17894 times)

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Scheduling and Calendar Applications
« on: Jun 17, 2006, 11:03 pm »
Scheduling and Time Management are big parts of the Stage Managers job. So what tools and technologies are available to assist with the nightmare that is scheduling?

A lot of this really depends on what you want to do.

A bit about modern scheduling:
In the past, when I used to create schedules by hand, I would take a weekly calendar separated into 1/2 hour blocks and shade then take cast availability sheets and a list detailing each rehearsal that had to occur. And I would sit there for hours trying to make the schedule to work arround everyones availability. Now usually that was easy when working with professional casts, as they usually had 9-5 free with the odd occurance where it was not. However I also did amdram work, where there are often quite a few obstacles to work arround. The technique worked well, but was awfully time consuming, and it meant that I had to be available to write down availability problems. With the rapid expansion of the internet, now most homes in the western world have an internet connection, so it makes sense to use the internet to share this information.

Shared callendars used to be a feature included only in expensive company groupware suites, which charged hundreds of dollars per user. Now they are wide spread. The development of a standard format for a callendar (the .ics iCal format), combined with online groupware means that now, scheduling has become less of a nightmare. Basically, if I can get every member of my cast to create a shared callendar, and I create a range of callendars I share, what ends up happening is this:

Cast member A has a doctors appointment at 10:15 on Tuesday, B has to look after their child all day Wednesday etc. They each put this on their calendar. This calendar is syncronised with their calendar on the internet (either through the technology called WebDAV, or they used an online service like those listed below).

I, as stage manager, use a calendar program which loads all of my casts calendars from the internet. Now I need to plan a rehearsal for cast members A and B, it needs to be 3 hours in length and the director needs to be available. So I select each cast members calendar, my calendar, the directors and the production calendars, and I see there is a three hour gap on Monday that everyone is free. I create an event on the production calendar. The production calendar is then synchronised with a copy on the internet.

Cast member B needs to arrange a doctors appointment now for a checkup - nothing serious. He opens his calendar application, which automatically grabs the production calendar from the internet. So he looks at the calendar and sees that he  required at a rehearsal on Monday, however he has a free spot on Tuesday, so he books it for then. He updates his calendar, which syncs online.

Now these calendar applications are often capable of sending out invites, however I recomend you do that personally, and don't assume that they will all check the web based calendar every day. However systems like this make your life much much easier.

That said, there is nothing wrong with the pencil and paper method, or using excel or any other method. It is all down to personal preference.

One thing I am finding in my investigation into this area is that most online services do not support sharing amongst other services well. Some will import .ics files, and some will export to .ics but their main power is between people on the same service. The main thing that needs emphasising is that this technology is still in it's infancy.

Online Services:
There are a million of these - most of these have a 'free' and a 'paid' option - for most of us, free is fine, we just loose some of the feature set. This list is in no particular order

--MOD NOTE: Links etc to be added in the not too distant future--

If you could, I would love it if you find a service, write a snippet about it, it's feature set, does it import other calendars etc. Also, most of the links above need one too, so if you use one, write one, and I will add it to this list, and link to it from the summary here (as a way of providing user opinions before they go and check them out)
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2008, 04:07 pm by kmc307 »

philimbesi

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
Re: [FAQ] Scheduling and Calendar Applications
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2006, 10:38 am »
Shared calendars!  Why the heck didn't I think of that!

Andi

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2007, 06:42 pm »
yeah, Google Calendar pretty much saves my life!
slightly ackward at first, but once you get accustomed... it's great!

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2007, 03:00 am »
I just inherited an Apple Mac computer the other day, so I decided to play with iCal - for those interested, here are a few print-outs (saved as PDFs) I have done with the data I have entered already, as well as a screen shot of the actual program.

--edit <ATTACHEMENTS REMOVED>
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2007, 09:47 pm by Mac Calder »

kaitlinmarie

• New to Town
  • I'm too reliable for my own good. That's why I SM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2007, 09:04 pm »
I love iCal. I use it to keep track of stage hadn duties, especially for the kids who switch from sweeper to prop counter to God only knows what else. It has made my life a million times easier.

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2007, 10:59 pm »
I'm going to toss another vote into the hat for google calendar (and google documents).  So much of what we do as SMs is communicate and share information.  In my mind there's no better way to share information than give people direct access to the files.  You also have access to control who has write access and read-only access.  This is the direction that information sharing is headed in the next 5-10 years, learn to love it!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

rmdevito

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2008, 06:17 pm »
I'm going to toss another vote into the hat for google calendar (and google documents).  So much of what we do as SMs is communicate and share information.  In my mind there's no better way to share information than give people direct access to the files.  You also have access to control who has write access and read-only access.  This is the direction that information sharing is headed in the next 5-10 years, learn to love it!

I'd agree. Google Calendar and Google Docs is what I'm using now. Is a great way to handle things as SM.

Cherie B. Tay

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2008, 02:28 am »
« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2008, 01:58 pm by CBT »

Reshetniak

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2008, 06:16 pm »
There is a new Google application called Google Apps Team Edition that is AWESOME!  It enables easier sharing with people who don't have gmail addresses.  I'm switching my company over to this ASAP.

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2008, 12:49 pm »
I've tried using Google to share documents and schedules before but it never caught on with me.  I think it's more because a lot of people I've worked with prefer the documents directly in the email or just want hard copies.  But who knows, maybe I'll try and get back to it at some point.

butch

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2008, 02:14 pm »
Where I am right now, we use a database based calendar application called Now Up To Date over our network. It actually works out really well as I can see everyone's schedule when I am scheduling meetings, calling rehearsals, or if I just can't find someone in the building...

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2008, 09:57 pm »
I've tried using Google to share documents and schedules before but it never caught on with me.  I think it's more because a lot of people I've worked with prefer the documents directly in the email or just want hard copies.  But who knows, maybe I'll try and get back to it at some point.

This is the same thing I'm experiencing. My assistants and I use it constantly, it's great for updating conflicts and last minute changes but my actors seem to hate it. And we're working on a complicated piece: 10 writing teams, 5 directors and 10 actors. Needless to say clear communication is essential!
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
Re: Scheduling and Calendar Applications
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2008, 03:27 pm »
Would someone who uses Google Cal mind terribly sharing with me how you've set it up?

I'm looking specifically at tracking actor conflicts, but if you use it for all scheduling, I would really appreciate a look at it.

PM me for my gmail.

Thank yo!
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2008, 04:06 pm by kmc307 »
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

Fisheje198rm

• New to Town
  • " I got my Eyes on you..."
    • View Profile
    • Gallaudet University Theatre Arts Department
  • Affiliations: none
« Reply #13 on: Jul 23, 2008, 05:22 pm »
theres a software called Spanning sync   its for MAc user who has Ical and use Google Calander.... its a nice program.

http://spanningsync.com/
from the webite...
Between multiple Macs. Share calendars with your coworkers, family, and friends. And while you're at it, connect Google Calendar to your iPhone, iPod, and other devices.

What if you could combine Google Calendar's powerful sharing features, Gmail integration, and notifications with iCal's beautiful interface and offline operation? Now you can.

With Spanning Sync, your iCal calendars are kept in sync with Google Calendar, which means you can use the best features of both to manage your schedule.

Supports Google Apps for Your Domain
Spanning Sync offers full support for Google Apps for Your Domain. So whether your organization is a one-person company or a 40,000-person university, your enterprise calendars are seamlessly connected to your Macs.

for me  the Google Cal is kind arkward for me to use but i rather to use ical.  with Spanning sync.   any change i make in Ical are uploaded to a Calender in GoogleCal.  and other people who has access to my GoogleCal Sharing, will see the change i made and if they make any changes to their Googlecal, i will see the change in my ical, thanks to Spanning Sync.

sarahbear42

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 24, 2008, 10:43 am »
Just putting another vote in for Google Calendar!

The only thing that annoys me about it is how difficult it can be to turn what you have on it into something printable. If there was a button to push that would turn it into a Word document, it would be perfect.