Author Topic: PROPS: overflowing champagne  (Read 5202 times)

lsears

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, Boston University
  • Experience: Professional
PROPS: overflowing champagne
« on: Jan 15, 2015, 03:44 am »
Question from an actor friend:  "Do you have a good 'recipe' by any chance to make for champagne that is supposed to bubble out/overflow when popped open?? "

I'm not on the show so I don't know what they've tried.  I found an article (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2880482/Shake-bottle-bubbly-STOP-overflowing-Vigorous-shaking-actually-decreases-pressure-inside-bottles-champagne-study-finds.html) that says shaking and fully chilling the bottle both decrease pressure making popping/overflowing less likely, but everything else I found on line is about how to avoid overflows.

Any suggestions?  I asked if they were using non-alcoholic champagne or trying to fake something with ginger ale but haven't heard back.

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
Re: PROPS: overflowing champagne
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2015, 04:26 pm »
Ginger ale and alka-seltzer. Normally, I use 1/2 tab for 1 full bottle of champagne to make it pop and not explode, so I'd start by experimenting with a full tab and adding from there.
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

Dart

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: GALA Hispanic Theatre
Re: PROPS: overflowing champagne
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2015, 12:39 am »
This past September, we needed bottles of champagne that popped open onstage, 2 per show. And they had to be non-alcoholic because the actors drank both bottles.

I found these bottles of Sparkling Chardonnay Grape Juice at Trader Joe's. They're really cheap, non-alcoholic, and have plenty of bubbles. I'm not sure how much they'd overflow, but there's no harm in getting a couple of bottles as a test, shaking them, and opening them. Our local TJ's only had about 15 in stock, but they were really accommodating and took a large order from us that they got on their next truck delivery day that week.

I'll swear by these because they're cheap, taste good, and look like the real thing. They have a real champagne cork so they pop, too.

riotous