Author Topic: paint  (Read 4736 times)

stagebear

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
paint
« on: May 11, 2009, 04:44 pm »
Hi there,

Does anyone know which kind of paint you could use on walls and mirrors that is bold but will easily wash off?

Thanks

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Experience: Professional
Re: paint
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 05:10 pm »
I don't know about walls, but glass markers would work well for the mirrors.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

cprted

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 05:49 pm »
I imagine something of the water soluble variety would be up your alley. 

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 09:43 pm »
I have never tried this, but there might be some kind of kids' finger paint that would work. Maybe some kind of bathtub paint that is soap-based?  http://www.amazon.com/Alex-Bathtub-Finger-Painting-Kit/dp/B00000IRYM

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 01:57 pm »
Regular acrylic craft paints will wash off mirrors cleanly, with a bit of elbow grease (as long as the paint wasn't applied over scratches in the finish).  As far as paint that will wash cleanly off of walls, I'm afriad I can't think of a thing.  Good luck!.
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

jwl_868

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 02:22 pm »
What kind of wall and what type of finish is on the wall?  For example, a smooth dry wall painted with a glossy "washable" paint might be what you need to start with.  But if the wall is has a rough finish, like brick or concrete block, it may be impossible to clean, even if finished.  There are some interior paints that are marketed as washable, like for children's rooms.  I've heard of "graffiti-resistant" paints (or coatings) that resist the adherence of paint as long as one starts washing them quickly. 

Is repainting the surface an option?

Joe

Wandering Ninja

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 06:04 pm »
Latex paints normally peal off of smooth surfaces (mirrors). If you need something that will wash off, is there some type of powder (chalk) that you could coat a wall with then wash off? Why do you need to wash it off: middle of the show trick, theater does not want the walls painted? Is washing off the paint the only way to accomplish what you need to accomplish? Could you cover everything with painted fabric? Have a white wall colored by colorblast (led wash lights that can project any color)?
"Nothing worthwhile was ever accomplished without the will to start, the enthusiasm to continue and, regardless of temporary obstacles, the persistence to complete" Waite Phillips

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 11:31 pm »
We used Tempera type kid's paint for a production where someone had to do a Pollock style painting onstage every night - we just washed off at the end of the night.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

stagebear

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 09:50 am »
thanks for all the input.
this is actually for a TV commercial. we're shooting in someone's house, so we dont want to repaint. i think we've come to the conclusion that we'll only be putting paint on the mirror and sink.

riotous