Author Topic: MTI's Stage Manager Scripts  (Read 11094 times)

damjamkato

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
MTI's Stage Manager Scripts
« on: Dec 12, 2008, 09:47 pm »
I came across this on the MTI website.

http://www.MTIshows.com/resource_SM_scripts.asp

It seems that they offer scripts already hole-punched, and in binders.  They are so called "Stage Manager Scripts".  This would save time copying the entire script, but if you are one of the people (like me), who have the script on the left side and the blocking on the right, then this wouldn't work for you.  And then, if you like to have more than one script for blocking and calling, is it really worth it to order another one?

So really, I guess all I want to know is to ask you:  What do you think of this idea?

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: MTI's Stage Manager Scripts
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2008, 10:15 pm »
Interesting idea. But stage managers are so personal about their paperwork and tools, that I think this would work for introductory stage managers instead of seasoned ones.  I know I prefer to type up my scripts in my own format because it works for me.  I am also a left-side scripter, saving the right side for blocking.

ddsherrer

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2008, 01:19 pm »
Agreed...I am one of those stage managers who hole punches on the "wrong" side.  But I have gotten these scripts and then copied them and re punched.  They're pretty helpful if you want to spend the extra $25 for a clean script.  The first time I called them about getting one they were very confused about the hole punching situation.  So I got a good laugh out of it, too.
If all the world's a stage, where's my stage manager?

damjamkato

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2008, 02:00 pm »
I would get these scripts because they sound like they would be so much easier to copy...a feeder tray would be so convenient to be able to use for once to copy a script. Other than that, I would rather just have my own script for customization.

I agree with you about the copying, it's much easier to just take the pages out the the binder and put them in a feeder tray.  I never have got one of the scripts, I might consider asking the Director of Fine arts at my school to get me one when we do High School Musical 2 in the Spring...

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2008, 10:20 am »
... They're pretty helpful if you want to spend the extra $25 for a clean script. ...

$25?!? I as quoted $250 for the stage manager version for Pippin. I'm making do with a normal libretto script.

ddsherrer

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2008, 01:34 pm »
Wow! $25 was what I was quoted for Millie...interesting.
If all the world's a stage, where's my stage manager?

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2014, 01:37 am »
And these are just the libretto printed on letter-size paper, right?  They don't include any piano score or vocal line?
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2014, 12:27 pm »
I so rarely do a "found" script, but I think I ultimately would want something digital so I can screw around with page breaks, add excerpts from the score, put in counts, etc . . .
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

SamanthaR

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Phoenix Theatre
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2014, 04:32 pm »
I got the Pippin script just to see what they were all about.  MTI sends you the script, but they want it back with all of your notations on it,  it is not yours to keep.  Top top it all off it is printed on Prescription Paper, so when you try to scan or copy it it comes up with a giant watermark "unauthorized copy".  Ultimately it became my spare script in the room and was not very helpful.
wee but mighty

soonjung

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2014, 09:16 pm »
Thank you for the feedback, SamanthaR! I had been considering ordering one for Aida and now I know not to bother.

Jonas_A

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: New Zealand Symphony Orchestra
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2014, 09:08 am »
Gone are the days of not being able to highlight lighting and set cues in the script! Forget writing in the tiny margins of a normal libretto/vocal book! With MTI's Stage Manager Script, you can write in pen, ink or highlighter and NOT have to worry about erasing the books before returning them to MTI! Just think: an authorized production-friendly legal copy of the libretto that you can personalize for your production...
*snort* Please. We all just copy them. (And yes, I am aware of the copyright implications. But raise your hand if you honestly have never photocopied a script for your prompt copy.)

Having spent a whole day copying, cutting, rearranging and repaginating, copying again and hole-punching scripts for my last SM, I can see the benefits, but if you can't copy them, why bother? At least when you make them yourself from scratch you can have it just how you want; right number of holes punched, you can enlarge the text or just have white space, etc... to me, the flexibility outweighs the convenience of what they're offering.

Regarding retyping a script: People seem leery of this option, but if you have a competent touch-typist on your team, it can usually be done in a day and then you can mess with page breaks, cuts, changed lines as much as you like, and you never get photocopy streaks!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2014, 02:15 pm »
The legality of copying a script is usually offset by purchasing a copy of the script and destroying it . . .

or for rentals, making sure to rent a copy for yourself as stage management.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2014, 08:09 pm »
Currently on my first MTI show in a long time, and I just did it the old fashioned way of copying, cutting and pasting by hand. In the end it gets destroyed, not to mention the company I'm with would likely not fork over extra $ for a SM copy.
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2014, 08:59 pm »
I'm going to assume that these Stage Manager scripts were created to aid small, amateur companies and high schools and middle schools where the idea of an SM is a somewhat vague notion.  I would imagine none of the folks at MTI thought that professional, seasoned stage managers would be taking advantage of this offer.

Car.e.kari

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PSM
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #14 on: Apr 01, 2014, 07:30 pm »
I am a HUGE fan of this tool from MTI. I work at a theater that does a summer stock type season, but with children. My "Baby Techies" get a huge kick out of these because the base line is there and they can track things fairly easy. The whole "right/left" side issue isnt solved in that you are locked into a choice but for someone who has never done it before or is new...Great Tool!!!
"I can't tell if this is killing me, or making me stronger!"