Author Topic: mobile printer  (Read 4942 times)

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
mobile printer
« on: May 14, 2009, 01:27 am »
I have started to travel around a lot more recently for work, and I am looking into getting one of those little mobile printers.   I have known a few people who have the Canon ip-90, but that one is just so expensive.  HP makes one that's not as expensive....has anyone ever used that one?  Or others?

Beatr79

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
Re: mobile printer
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 10:53 am »
I was in the market for a portable printer two years ago, and I ended up with the Canon.  The HP portable printer I looked at was not portable enough for me.  It was significantly thicker and heavier than the Canon. 

I recommend going to an actual store and checking out the HP in person before you buy.  Some things to consider: how will you be transporting it?  In a backpack on subways, or do you drive to work every day?  Lots of flying?  How heavy is your laptop, because presumably you'll always have the laptop when you have the printer?  These types of questions can clarify how small or light you need the printer to be. 

EFMcMullen

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 01:29 pm »
I have the Canon.  I really like it. Good quality & color.  Easy to transport.  However, something to take into consideration.  The print cartridges are much smaller and I can chew through the black in no time.  Printing out one script will usually do it.

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 12:10 pm »
Are there any easily portable laser printers? I don't think I could ever go back to using an ink jet printer. Slow speed, smudges, ink running out at inconvenient times.

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 05:11 pm »
Have you made your decision yet?  Look forward to hearing what you went with and what your review of the product is!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

stagemanagersam

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: UCSD MFA, SMA
« Reply #5 on: Aug 18, 2009, 04:21 pm »
I just got one of the HP mobile printers. It is a bit big for traveling constantly, but works well for occasional trips and to have in tech at my table. It prints very fast and uses standard size cartridges.

riotous