Author Topic: Looking for testers for a new iPhone SM app  (Read 9698 times)

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Looking for testers for a new iPhone SM app
« on: Aug 22, 2011, 10:07 pm »
Hi everyone-

My fabulous significant other has created a new stage management app for the iPhone platform, and is looking for testers.  It is geared towards data management (contact info, scene charts, props lists, etc).  He is looking for people with the following:

-has iPhone, iPod, or iPad running IOS 4
-willing to use the app for at least one show worth of data
-willing to write notes/comments on how they would improve the app or bugs or what they like

You would get:
-a Beta version of the app
-a free copy of the finalized version when it is released ($9.99 estimated value)
-our unending thanks and admiration

If you are interested, please PM me with a email address that he can use to send you the beta version.

Thank you!!
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

RSMLa

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA
  • Current Gig: Resident SM - Grenfell Campus, MUN
Re: Looking for testers for a new iPhone SM app
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2011, 03:23 pm »
I would be interested.  Can I send a message with my e-mail address seen by only you?

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2011, 05:03 pm »
You can send a private message.  If you look on the left under my name there is a blue bubble you can click on.  You can also click on My Messages on the top of the page.

Post Merge: Aug 24, 2011, 04:56 pm
Thank you all for the amazing response!!!  We have all of the testers we can handle for now, but will post again in the future for the next round.  :D
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2011, 04:57 pm by ScooterSM »
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

Kristine

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, Theta Alpha Phi
  • Current Gig: Spirits to Enforce, UW-Whitewater
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2011, 01:36 am »
I would LOVE to! I sent you a private message with my email if you're still in need!

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2011, 08:55 pm »
Thank you for all of the replies, but we have as many testers as we need right now.  I will keep your messages for the next round of testing.

Thanks!

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2011, 04:47 am »
Quick question - the app won't run on iPhone 4 in the UK, as the profile is not valid. Any suggestions for a workaround?

C

bpaige

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Website
  • Affiliations: EMC for AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2012, 02:45 pm »
When do you think this app will be available to test again? Or even just look at? I'm extremely interested.

cbandes

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for testers for a new iPad SM app
« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2012, 11:23 am »
Hi guys. I'm Charley, scootersm's husband.

I apologize for the long, long delay since she last posted. I learned a lot from my testers, most notably that the iPhone version of the app was missing a number of important features and had a few bugs that rendered it impractical for real users. I went back to the drawing board and started again from scratch. I have a new iPad-only version which is almost ready for testers.

My goal is to have a simple but polished app that will help sms manage productions by keeping track of shows/scenes/cast/roles/props in a database on their phone or ipad. I'm not expecting to make much money off of it, though if it ever becomes viable I will try to sell it on the app store for a few dollars. Since it's really a labor of love for me as a sort of gift to scooter, it's really important to me that it be actually useful to real people - she designed it, so it is kinda 'by sms for sms :) '

So - my hope is to open it up to testers again in a week or two. At the moment the app will only run on iPads (an iPhone version will be coming, hopefully late May) so right now I'm only looking for iPad testers. And I'm only looking for people who are willing to actually use the app and write feedback to me.

What's in it for you?
  • A chance to help make an app that's actually designed by and for working sms.
  • Advance access to something that's hopefully useful :)
  • A free copy when it comes out
  • Your name in the 'special thanks' page
In order to become a tester, please tell me (in pm or email):

• Your name
  • Your email address
  • What model iPad you have
  • What version of iOS is on your iPad
  • Are you currently working on a show that you could test the app with?
Thank you!!

NOTE: Posting has been approved by me. Have fun, y'all. - PSMK
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2012, 02:18 pm by PSMKay »

P3NGU1N

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Ball State University
« Reply #8 on: Apr 28, 2012, 02:52 pm »
Any chance of an Android version coming soon?  My school is investing in Android-OS tablets next year, and I have a smartphone/tablet phone that also runs Android. 
"Don't let yourself be stupid, you don't know everything. The sooner you accept that and move on, the better off you'll be."

cbandes

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 28, 2012, 03:30 pm »
Yes and no, Penguin. I've tried twice now to develop for Android - once as a native app and once as a web app. I found developing native android apps really unwieldily and unpleasant, and since neither scooter nor I own android devices there wasn't much incentive to continue. The webapp was a different story - I got pretty far with it but decided I was more interested in the native iOS version, so I've put the web version on hold. Once the iOS version is working and out there, I hope to go back to the webapp version and see if it can be turned into something usable for Android.

The sad reality is that Apple just makes developing for iOS a really nice experience, and with more users it is a lot easier to make money in their app store. :/ Android is a nice platform, but it hasn't gotten the same kind of love. If that changes, or if a really snazzy Android device ends up on my doorstep (or if my boss encourages me to learn Android...) I'll definitely reconsider :)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #10 on: Apr 28, 2012, 04:27 pm »
I will learn Java and port it myself if I must to prevent this from being a fruit-only application.

cbandes

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2012, 04:40 pm »
I'll take you up on that Kay if and when the time comes. I actually have a native android version partly written, it was just desperately buggy - if the webapp route ends up working, that might be the best of both worlds.

cbandes

• New to Town
    • View Profile
URL to apply for tester status
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 10:14 am »
Hi guys - I've set up a testing team webpage, and a simple form where you can sign up to be a tester for the app.

The link is here: http://bit.ly/IqqvHd

bpaige

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Website
  • Affiliations: EMC for AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 01:26 pm »
If my grandparents get me an iPad as a graduation/birthday present I may be testing it. I'm bummed it won't be available on the iPod but oh well. Keep us updated please! I'm interested in hearing results.

cbandes

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 07:12 pm »
There will be an iphone/ipod touch version too, I'm working on it now - want to get the iPad version taken care of first though.

riotous