Author Topic: latest toys...  (Read 52466 times)

philimbesi

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
Re: latest toyes...
« Reply #15 on: Sep 21, 2006, 10:36 am »
I am thinking that addiction to stationary stores is genetic

Nah more like an occupational hazzard.

Down2life

• New to Town
  • The true talent on set
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: USITT SETC J.S.U.
« Reply #16 on: Sep 21, 2006, 06:15 pm »
That is about the best I have heard of but I personally like a smaller binder inch or inch and a half. But thanks for the heads up. It is a very wierd obsession we have. but oh so much fun.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #17 on: Sep 21, 2006, 09:49 pm »
It's a 3 inch binder with locking rings.

Ah, I remember when I could fit my show in a three inch binder - now I am having trouble putting it all into a five inch binder. . . I will soon begin looking for a six inch binder.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

katykat29

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 22, 2006, 01:46 pm »
Down2Life
If you have an Office Depot in your area, look for the Office Depot Stacked Pockets View Locking Round Ring Binders.  It comes in 1 inch to 3 inch sizes.  The item number is 914296. 
www.officedepot.com/textSearch.do?uniqueSearchFlag=true&Ntt=914296&x=45&y=20

The stacked pockets are wonderful.  For some reason the lower pockets by themselves are almost completely useless (paper misbehaves and flips down, your notepad won't stay in place, ect).  Add the higher pocket and all of a sudden everything works!  I have yet to find a D ring binder with these stacked pockets.  Binder makers - get on this one and I'll love you forever!

Down2life

• New to Town
  • The true talent on set
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: USITT SETC J.S.U.
« Reply #19 on: Sep 22, 2006, 06:45 pm »
Awesome Thank you very much

Gina

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM- As I Remember It Tour
« Reply #20 on: Sep 22, 2006, 09:43 pm »
I had a new toy to add to the discussion. I was in the homewares section of Target and saw a WD40 pen...I guess it's like a white out pen. When I work deck I like to make sure to have a can of that or white lithium grease on hand, but a WD 40 pen may be something good to add to a kit.

I like check out the hunting, fishing, and automotive sections of stores in addition to office supplies, you never know what you are going to find.

And for binders, my personal preference is definately for D-Ring over O Ring. And I keep only my calling and blocking scripts and a copy of cue and contact sheets in one book, I keep everything else in a seperate binder. I can't stand writing over all that bulk in blocking rehearsals or while calling shows....and I can look up something without losing my place in my book. A score is only about 300 pages depending on the show and a libretto is less than that so I can use a much smaller binder.

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #21 on: Sep 22, 2006, 11:49 pm »
A WD40 pen you say? I suppose it would be good for situations where you can access the parts that are sticking, although I don't see how it could work on things like hinges etc where the two parts are pretty well sealed together. Certainly a tool to look into though (*Adds to shopping list*)

kjdiehl

• Permanent Resident
  • The Turtle Moves.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #22 on: Oct 01, 2006, 01:00 pm »
I understand the frustration of looking for the perfect binder, so I finally made my own. Made my own clipboard too! My super-binder is a standard D-Ring, with all the usual bells and whistles, plus: On the inside front cover I gaff taped two flat, side loading CD cases. Now my show CDs travel right inside the binder, it still opens flat, and the thing looks like a transformer now; COOL!  But my clipboard is even better. Took a plain wooden legal size clipboard. Binder clipped a clamp binder to it, by cutting two slits in the binder near the spine for the binderclips to slip thru. Then marley-taped a slash jacket to the inside of the front cover of the clamp binder. Then added a standard yellow pad to the clipboard and I am in business! The cover of the clamp binder can flip all the way to the back out of the way, or it can close over the top of the whole thing to protect my notepad. Plus the clamped documents can be flipped to the front or the back of the notepad if I need them, and the slash jacket can hold handy papers. I know it's really hard to describe how great this creation is, but I think it rocks. I'll try to post a pic of it someday or something.  Oh, and I love getting my office supplies from http://www.discountofficesupplies.com

Also, while we've been talking mostly about office supplies in this thread, I wanted to comment on my new work gloves i bought last night. Hot dog! You know how hard it is to find good work gloves and once you do, the Home Depot or whatever stops selling that style. I finally stopped in my local army/navy surplus store and found Carhart's gloves!  http://www.goldmanbros.com/gc/customer/product.php?productid=19113&cat=100063
These things feel way tougher, (thicker leather,) than the cheapy Home Depot or Craftsmans. I can't wait to get to work with 'em! And that gel padded palm makes all the difference in the world! OOo baby!
-Kris Diehl, AEA SM

"Somewhere in the city there's a stage manager waiting,
standing in the shadows with a clipboard in hand..."

fuzzy_7

• Contributor
  • Hooray for Beer!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 01, 2006, 01:03 pm »
That's a really neat concept. You should think about marketing it. I know of a lot of SM's who might want a binder like that.
Derek A. Fuzzell

thehayworth

• Contributor
  • Uh oh.
    • View Profile
    • Propaganda Pipeline
  • Current Gig: Santaland Diaries
« Reply #24 on: Oct 02, 2006, 08:28 am »
kjdiehl you need to post pictures of this creation
"This time for sure."

QueenMAB

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Oct 15, 2006, 01:40 pm »
I to confess a psuedo sharpie addiction (you all saw, i didn't really admit it) I keep my mini shapries (an highlighter) on my master keys (which never leave my person) and retractable sharpies in my kit. it's sooooo nice not to have to worry about the darn cap all the time! and I can multi-task better  ;)

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #26 on: Oct 26, 2006, 10:23 am »
I have at least 20 Sharpies of all different colors. I stopped carrying the minis in my pocket after an unfortunate cap incident involving a new pair of pants turning red near the pocket.
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

reds

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Oct 28, 2006, 04:12 pm »
I have found the perfect production binder....It has a D ring, so it sits flat, but is in a zipper case, so nothing can fall out.  The outside front has a place to put file folders, clipboard, etc (also zips) and on the inside of the binder are pockets for cd's and my ruler, and whatever else you want.  There's even a handle on the outside spine so when it's all zipped up you can carry it like a briefcase.  When the show is over, I transfere everything into a plain binder and shelf it, and re-use it for my next show.  it's made by a company named case it.

I am a Staples junkie....I can't go in that store for anything without coming out with a bag full of stuff...
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2006, 04:15 pm by reds »
Dream - Hope - Believe

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #28 on: Oct 31, 2006, 02:12 pm »

"Ah, I remember when I could fit my show in a three inch binder - now I am having trouble putting it all into a five inch binder. . . I will soon begin looking for a six inch binder."

Matt, sounds like you need to split things up.  Script in one book, paperwork in another.  A 6" binder might require a weight belt and a heavy lifting clause in your contract.

To answer the various topics-

Binders:
I too have a Trapper Keeper-esque binder with lots of pockets (and a clear pouch on front that zips on 3 sides and has pockets.   It's amazing.  And it's orange!  It doesn't have a handle, though, so now I'm jealous.

Sharpies:
-I am not crazy about the mini's (cute, but the clip part on the cap comes off).  But I DO love the click sharpies.  I generally carry an odd color one that I can easily spot it if someone takes it.

reds

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Oct 31, 2006, 03:25 pm »
Not only a handle, but came with a shoulder strap too!  ...but i don't use it, just the handle....   ;)  the rest of my stuff I carry in a back pack.
Dream - Hope - Believe

riotous