Author Topic: Laptop Recommendations ?  (Read 5338 times)

Lizzie

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Laptop Recommendations ?
« on: Jan 06, 2010, 01:59 pm »
Dear All

I need a new laptop. *Sigh*. I have been researching til I'm blue in the face, about different brands, ram/hard disc size, processor speed, blah blah blah - now I think I've reached information overload, and can't make a decision !

I know computers are highly personal - what one person hates another loves; what one finds indespensible, another couldn't care less about, but can anyone make a recommendation for whatever laptop they currently own ? I'd be most grateful.

BTW, without wishing to stir up the customary hornet's nest, I'm definitely going for PC rather than Mac.

Best regards
Lizzie

Accentuated formatting -kmc307
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2010, 06:09 pm by kmc307 »

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Laptop Recommendations ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2010, 03:18 pm »
Buzz!

I enjoy PC's for paperwork and regular computer usage, whereas I use a MAC for mutlimedia and in my current position (Qlab is the best!)

What are some of said characteristics you are looking for?  Netbook? Cheap? Speed? Memory? Graphics?  What will you be using said laptop for?

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2010, 04:37 pm »
My husband and I both own Toshiba Satellites.  I've got no complaints, other than it runs a little hot and VERY occasionally shuts down if I'm taxing the processor in an environment over 90 degrees.  I live in Georgia; it happens occasionally.  I'd love for the battery to last longer, but I don't think I'm going to find ANY laptop that will run for seven hours, the way I use it, without needing to be charged.
One thing I really love the wide-screen format.  It makes working with spreadsheets a whole lot easier; I've got more real estate before I have to start side-scrolling.
Before this, I owned a Dell, and it gave me quite a bit of trouble.  Hard drive, CD drive, and motherboard all died at one point or another.
Have you got a friend/family member who's good with computers?  Until I really got a handle on what I needed/wanted in a computer, I always took someone with me to look and buy, and found their on the spot advice invaluable!
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2010, 06:00 pm »
I recently switched from a PC to a Mac, and I'm thrilled. It has the basics and not much else, which is fine for me. (I pretty much explained to the computer guy what I needed to do for work, and he helped me "downgrade" to the Mac.) It also runs Qlab, which I've found to be immensely helpful for editing/running shows.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2010, 06:09 pm »
Hi folks - let's steer clear of recommending or discussing MACs.  The original poster has clearly stated she is looking strictly at PCs

Carry on!  :)
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2010, 06:10 pm »
I have a Dell Mini 9 netbook.  Solid State drive, Intel Atom processor.  For my purposes it's just fine, although I find that the keyboard is a bit cramped.  If you're going to be doing a lot of typing on it, I would suggest that you limit your choices to models that you can put your hands on in-person.

If you're doing a lot of jostling and moving about, I definitely recommend considering a solid state drive.  They're more resistant to shocks and bumps.  However, you will make a drastic sacrifice in storage space if you do so.  This can certainly be offset by carrying an external larger storage device - either a big flash drive or an external hard drive - that can be plugged in as needed when you want to watch movies or something.

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2010, 06:15 pm »
If you're doing a lot of jostling and moving about, I definitely recommend considering a solid state drive.  They're more resistant to shocks and bumps.

Second this one.  In addition to Kay's points above you'll also get more life out of your battery.  Since solid state disks have no moving parts they consume far less power. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2010, 06:25 pm »
Hi folks - let's steer clear of recommending or discussing MACs.  The original poster has clearly stated she is looking strictly at PCs

Carry on!  :)

Oops, I thought the OP was still debating between the two. Ignore me! :)
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:08 pm »
These threads come up all to often and technology changes very quickly... but stage management is not that processor or memory intesive.

90% of laptops you see in the high street shops will work for 90% of the population (where 90% of the stage managers fit). To this group, choice comes down to feel, comfort, size and weight, and your pricepoint generally defines build quality - all except the last are things that are hard to get advice on in a forum - especialy a forum with maybe 4000 laptops of various ages (based on the number of members we have) - if you want to use it in specialty applications, (using specialty software like WYSIWYG etc) then a decent place to ask, but if you are after general laptop advise, a computer forum might be a better resource.
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2010, 08:12 pm by Mac Calder »