Author Topic: Information access barriers  (Read 6570 times)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Information access barriers
« on: Mar 07, 2011, 01:02 am »
I was reading a somewhat vague article about requiring logins and registration and the effect that it has on the readership of that information.  (http://goo.gl/GNf5D)

The particular statistic that jumped at me was the 16-50x loss in readership caused by login forms.  I have definitely seen that behavior here on SMNetwork - the boards that require login to view see drastically less activity than the guest-accessible ones.

With all the talk about production websites accessible to cast & crew with logins, I wonder if stage managers aren't harming their own efforts.  Given that we are the clearinghouses for all information, opt-in scenarios that require individuals to reach out to check information may severely impact our efforts in a negative way.

I think as we consider using the web to serve up information, we have to consider information delivery vehicles that remove barriers.  Obviously phoning people or communicating with them face-to-face is the best option for ensuring that the news reaches its target.  However, given our busy jobs this is impractical.  Finding the balance between access and privacy is a difficult task.  Perhaps static websites (like google sites) are not the best idea. 

I'd like to see an investigation of web/mobile technologies that have the lowest barriers to access, easiest learning curves, and figure out a way they can be implemented for stage management purposes.  Given that we're dealing with individuals from different technical comfort levels and many cast members can't afford the latest and greatest technology, it has to be as simple as possible.

Let's do some thinking outside the box here.  What web tech do you see inspiring LOTS of opt-in? Is it possible to steal tech from, say, retail or restaurant delivery to create a new but easy communication technology for stage management?

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Information access barriers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2011, 04:10 am »
Not answering your question at all, but I just wanted to give my opinion on the matter...

For me, it's not the logging in that causes me to drift away, but the registering. Often, I just can't be bothered with typing in details I have already typed in hundreds of times in the last year alone. Why does Google care which city I live in? Why does Dominos Pizza want to know my occupation? And why does eBay care about my annual income?

These are all things companies use for data gathering, and it's something a production website should not worry about. From a personal point of view, if I was simply told my username is ctuffin and my password is actors, for example, that removes a huge amount of the barrier.

It's all about the increasing impatience of our world today.

2p, sorry for leading away from your original questions!

Chris
x

thomasfedb

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Midnite Youth Theatre Company
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2011, 04:52 am »
The best way to get people to sign up are:

letting them get started before they enter their details, obviously this only works in certain circumstances

OR

asking users only their email address (and possibly as password, alternatively you can just email them a password)

Until recently people though the value of the information gathered outweighed the cost of less registrations. Recently this idea has taken a downfall, and as a result we're see many more simplified forms.
I find using technology to be particularly thrilling. You're always waiting for it to break.

Lizzie

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2011, 02:27 am »
I agree about sign-up forms on websites and the information they demand. If there's a resource I particularly want access to, and it's asking for my postcode and telephone number, I make them up. (Or with regards to the postcode, I use SW1A 1AA which is Buckingham Palace, he he he).

Not using complex sites would also be useful - an amateur company I used to be involved with used Yahoo Groups and I used to spend a lot of time trying to help new members sign up and get the system set to send them the emails to their preferred address. It was a useful resource because it was an email list with an associated website where you could upload forms, images etc, but I wish I'd spent time finding a better replacement.

Lizzie

valence

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2011, 10:21 am »
The student theatre group at my university has an online site that we use to keep track of everything.  It's complex--much more so than any google site could be--but keeps track of shows (including cast lists, crew lists, etc), the calender, and our groups inventory.  It requires a log-on and each user has a profile, which contains some basic info about themselves as well as past shows they've been in.  This system works well, for the most part, but only because we're a student theatre group.  We consistently have the same people involved with productions, so it's practical for everybody to have a profile page.  Another group I work with has a site that requires a log-in to access the calendar.  This is much less personalised (though the site does track who's in SM, LD, etc for an event and info like phone numbers); it's mostly a list of call times, strike times, etc.  The downside to requiring a log-in is that we have no public calendar, leading to requests for us to do an event on a weekend we're completely booked for.  If you log-in, you can see which weekends we're no longer accepting events for, but that doesn't help the client. 
However, we still feel the need to keep it password protected for privacy reasons.  That site has personal information (full names + telephone numbers) as well as sensitive information to the organisation (budget stuff, riders, light plots, etc).  It's the same thing with the first site I mentioned.  We have a google doc where we keep track of the spending for a specific show--it's fine if somebody on carpentry can see how much money was spent on wood, but that's not something we want the public to see.

We find that the main challenge is getting people to sign up, so we usually have a laptop at the first rehearsal to get them to sign up (or an excel spreadsheet, to collect email addresses for dropbox/google docs).  We have found that the less information required, the better.  We tie usernames to school email addresses, then ask for name and phone number.  Once they've created an account, they're able to add more information about themselves, which some people do, and some don't, depending on what they're comfortable sharing.
What I find crucial in terms of alerting people to rehearsals, load-ins, etc is being able to generate an email list.  It's very hard to get people to add your site into their daily routine of Facebook, Twitter, etc, but emailing people are general dates and reminding them to check the site for more info has proved successful.

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2011, 12:14 pm »
I agree with Chris- if we're talking about a website used to distribute information to members of a specific show/company (actors, production staff) and not a website aimed at the public (like the theatre's actual website) then it's the registering, not the logging in, that is the barrier.  The less information you have to provide, the better- just your email address & a password you set should be all you need to access a calendar or announcements. Even better, I think, would be a completely generic login they are given at the first rehearsal- the entire cast of A Chorus Line logs in with the username "actor" and the password "achorusline," for example.
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

shanakathleen

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: ASM, West Coast Production of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2011, 01:18 pm »
The University of Maryland started using a wiki last year--it's definitely been a growing and evolving process (creating a practical, universal rehearsal report form that can work for dance, theatre, opera, and outside events is no easy task), but people have gotten used to it and it works pretty well. One of the benefits is that you just log in using their regular university log in name and password, and access can still be granted to outside directors or designers.It is also pretty convenient to find all rehearsal reports, performance reports, prop lists, fitting requests, etc in the same place.
Shana Kathleen Ferguson
shanakferguson@gmail.com

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2011, 02:42 pm »
One of the benefits is that you just log in using their regular university log in name and password, and access can still be granted to outside directors or designers.

If registration causes more issues than logging in, what existing systems are there for SMs outside of university environments where normal folk would already have accounts & the habit of visiting?  Can those be utilized instead of reinventing the wheel with new websites every time?

yomanda

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2011, 04:33 pm »
If registration causes more issues than logging in, what existing systems are there for SMs outside of university environments where normal folk would already have accounts & the habit of visiting?  Can those be utilized instead of reinventing the wheel with new websites every time?

What about a facebook group?  I've been experimenting with the idea, and it has a calendar you could use for rehearsals.  And if I understand it correctly, there are 3 levels of security so it's not open to everyone.  Also you can post notes that go into the member's news feed.

I don't know.  Like I said, I'm just starting to play with it.

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2011, 04:40 pm »
Honestly, the first thing that comes to mind is Facebook.

I just did a show where the director made a Facebook group and invited all of the actors, designers, etc. We didn't use it for anything official- the cast posted research they found, videos/songs that they thought summed up their characters, cast party info, stuff like that.  The group was private, you had to be invited to see it.  I had actually never been in a Facebook group before this, it's pretty neat- you get a bar with the group name in the left-hand column on your home page, and it has the little number next to it if there are new posts. You can also get email notifications when something new is posted, but that would depend on the individual user's email settings.

I don't know how useful it would be for distributing actual rehearsal reports, but for updating the cast with announcements, designers uploading research or process photos, stuff like that- I think it could work. Especially since nearly everyone these days has a Facebook already, the registration/log-in process is nonexistent, and they are already used to checking it frequently. For those who have Facebook updates sent to their phones, they would get a notification every time you posted a new announcement in the group. Setting up the group & inviting the members is super easy from an admin standpoint, as well- no code, no domain name, nothing to maintain, nothing to pay for, etc.
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

cserendipity

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Prime Stage Theatre
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2011, 04:59 pm »
I've noticed an increasing number of websites allowing you access through Facebook.  i.e. using your facebook login information to access their site.  Additionally, most new smartphones will let you import contact information directly from Facebook, so your Facebook friends become part of your contact list.  While this isn't necessarily SM specific, I think it shows that the possibility exists to utilize this type of pre-existing information.  (Though I'm not necessarily sure what one has to do to gain access to this - probably give Facebook lots of money - and I know there a lot of security concerns with Facebook and their privacy issues - I for one do not have my phone number listed on my Facebook account.)  The number of people who have Facebook is rapidly growing, so this could be a way in, if you could figure out how to make it work for you. 

That being said, while it might be possible to utilize this type of technology, I'm just not sure if there is an easy way to make it work on such an individual and personalized basis. 
If Plan A didn't work... the alphabet has 25 more letters.

VilleSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Community Theatre League, SCCT, The Wilma
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2011, 07:19 pm »
I agree with the folks who have suggested Facebook groups. I create a group for every show that I direct (for student-run shows) or SM. It's a very easy way to quickly distribute information. I always set them up as closed groups, so the only people who can even see the group exists are people who are in the group. Depending on your subscription levels, anything that is posted on the group wall can be immediately sent via e-mail to all members. You can also send group messages. Anytime any activity happens on the group, you also get a notification on the sidebar of Facebook telling you that something has happened (and if you're OCD like me, you'll probably click on it and see what it was just to make the number go away). It's also a quick and easy way to introduce actors/staff to each other before the show starts production (depending on how casting works).

The one downside to this is - I now work outside of the University setting too. While many people are on Facebook, there are many who either are not, or who are under aliases that they may not want certain people to know. I encourage them to join Facebook for the time of the show (and some stay around after, too). If they prefer not to join, I keep them updated via e-mail and/or text. I tend to e-mail everything I post in the group anyhow, just so I'm covering all of my bases (and so that nobody can say they didn't see it. It's impossible to miss it in your e-mail, on your Facebook, AND on your phone).

I've heard of school groups setting up listservs and wikis on BlackBoard and Desire2Learn... but I have not used one myself. I know there are document servers on most of them, so that actors don't have an excuse to not see the schedule (and it's always there to go back to and look at again). Most of these use campus e-mail addresses/logins that are already made and activated.

It is my understanding that not all Google Sites are visible to everyone. I know my personal webpage is visible to the world. Are there ways to create pages that are only accessible to people who have the URL? If so, I'd REALLY like to create one that I can upload all of my schedules, etc. to, so that way I know only the people who need them have access to them.
"The stage is not merely the meeting place of all the arts, but is also the return of art to life." - Oscar Wilde

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2011, 08:51 pm »
No - No - No - No - do not use Facebook as a way to communicate professionally. 

Given the way that Facebook deals with messages and groups and so forth, and depending on how people has settings set, there is no guarantee someone is going to get a message.

Look into the reason why Facebook exists - it's a data mining source.

Post Merge: Mar 12, 2011, 09:06 pm
I have sort of said this before, pushed information and lo-tech is always going to be better - remember, although we are tech savvy, not everyone we work is.

Why is a physical call board better then on one line?

Why is recording the hotline on a phone line better then just e-mailing it, or posting it on a web page?

Why is pushed information better then information that has to be sought out?  Seriously, I think it’s better for a designer to have a report pop up in the e-mail inbox, rather then them having to go to a google site and down load the report.  Why?  Well, I just made it easier . . . the information is right there.  (You can still easily have a web site that files back copies of the reports in case they are missing one.)

Not everyone has 24/7 access to computers (especially actors traveling).  And, do you really want an actor telling you "Sorry, I am late, I couldn't get the call, my internet was down."  Not everyone has smart phone.  There needs to be some sort of redundancy.

As far as putting documents online so people can have access to them . . . great!  That is fantastic, and opens up a lot of possibilities for your entire team - but you do have to look at security (and if you team REALLY needs the info, then they are not going to be bother by a user name or password).  But even then, you sort of have to be careful with information you post, and make sure that people who need information now when new information is posted.  (You don’t want people working off of old versions of paperwork, especially after you went to the trouble of updating and posting new paperwork . . . unless it’s a huge document why not PUSH it out via e-mail?)

Also, I worry about sites just eating up your time - especially if you are freelancing.  (If you are staff somewhere . . . then you have a very strong argument to spend time to do this.)

How much time does it take to get up and running?
How much time does it take to train the staff and cast?
How much time to maintain?

I am just beginning to freelance, so I am beginning to deal with this a bit . . . and trying to figure out how to deal with paperwork with out a server.
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2011, 09:06 pm by MatthewShiner »
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.