Author Topic: [FAQ] Electronic Prompt Copies  (Read 223054 times)

KWhitney

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • KatharineWhitney.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, NYU, SMA
  • Current Gig: PA, Amazing Grace; PSM, BEDLAM
  • Experience: Professional
Re: [FAQ] Electronic Prompt Copies
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2013, 04:12 pm »
I started using tabs to create calling scripts.  I set a right alignment tab for the edge of the page, then when I need to mark a cue, I underline from the cue line to the right tab.  If I need to include a note, I can type that in the space between the text and cue.  I find it to be particularly seamless since I can create the formatting using keystrokes without accessing other elements.  It also transitions well between Word and Pages, which is an added plus.  For more precision, I sometimes add a "shapes" line to mark exactly where I want to call something.  That can be a bit more time consuming, so sometimes I will add those in after the script is a bit more set.

You can play around with what is best for you as far as bold text/italic text/underlined text so that you're paying attention to the right things at the right moment.  If there is something I particularly need to highlight, text boxes are always an option.  And all of this functions quite well for blocking scripts, too.

In the attachment you can see a sample of what a script might look like, as well as where I placed the tabs in the ruler at the top.

Ealdnoth

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #91 on: Nov 24, 2013, 07:23 pm »
I copied and pasted the working script into excel, formatted so each return provided a new cell. I then added a column to the left and used that for tech cues. The cells to the right of the dialog I used for blocking notes. I highlighted cue words in various colors (for light, sound, Foley, etc.) and made them bold so they were easy to see. Since the show is now finished, I will refine it a bit and then print a single document that anyone can look at and go "oh, I get it!". I love excel, especially for something like this where I could place the cue precisely where it needed to be on the page! I used a paper script for all of 2 days.

This was also great for tracking changes in the script, and the improvisational fun the actors had when they dropped a line....

JD

smallfrey

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #92 on: Mar 22, 2014, 01:54 pm »
I am BFA Stage Management student and have been working for three years using the comment function on word to do all my blocking, calling, etc. There is so many great things to do in Word, rather than spending a lot of money on expensive programs. Word also has a CTRL-F function that allows you to search any word in the script in case you get off. It also allows you to put in your own headings and you can search by those as well. Right now, I am stage managing Romeo and Juliet and it's so nice to be able to jump from scene to scene with the heading search function. I LOVE it. Let me know if you would like to see a sample or anything!

MitchieSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #93 on: Apr 19, 2014, 01:58 am »
One thing I like about the newer editions of Word- I find that when doing digital calling scripts, I don't like to spend a lot of time formatting and re-formatting the callout boxes themselves, so I edit a blank callout until it suits me, and then save it as a "Quick Part". I end up with a blank "standby" bubble, a box with a tail (for cues called off of a line), a box with no tail (for visual cues), etc that I can pull up quickly. I don't remember seeing this feature in older versions (or maybe I just didn't know about it). But it saves me a lot of time when typing up cues.

I just figured out a way to save these callouts as a "Gallery", so you can save all the different shapes you use on a menu above the text and quickly pull the one you need into the document. (Basically the same thing, but I'm using OpenOffice on this computer and it works a little differently).

On the "Tools" menu- select "Gallery", which pulls down the gallery to sit at the top of the page. Select the object with the cursor, release it, then click and hold for 2 seconds, and continue dragging it onto the Gallery. The Gallery stays saved even after the program closes so you can use it from show to show.

Hey Maribeth-
What version of word are you using? I just made a script using call outs and copy/pasting them, but I wish I had read this before! I can't figure out how to do galleries or quick parts in Word 2010.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #94 on: Apr 19, 2014, 10:52 pm »
Hey Maribeth-
What version of word are you using? I just made a script using call outs and copy/pasting them, but I wish I had read this before! I can't figure out how to do galleries or quick parts in Word 2010.

On my personal computer, I use Open Office (a free, open source word processor) and that has the 'gallery', under the Tools menu. It's free to download and works almost exactly the same as Word.

I think the 'quick parts' option was something I used on a laptop that belonged to a theatre, which was a Mac. Not sure which version of Word I was using for that, sorry!
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2014, 11:53 pm by Maribeth »

riotous