Author Topic: Holiday SM Gifts  (Read 25328 times)

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Holiday SM Gifts
« on: Dec 30, 2008, 08:41 am »
Alright, now that the dust has mostly settled from the Holiday season let's have a little fun.

What is your favorite SM-related gift you received this year?

What's a good SM-related gift you gave to someone this year?

Let's hear it!
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2008, 08:43 am by kmc307 »
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
Re: Holiday SM Gifts
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2008, 11:08 am »
To answer your second question:
I like to give gifts as they relate to the show.  For example: I did a production of Love Letters this summer and got the cast a set of notecards (for those that aren't familiar w/ the show, the 2 characters correspond via written letters, notes and cards over the years).
As to the first question...I like gifts I've been given that also relate to the show. One is a 1/3 size coffee pot from Boesman and Lena--relates to the fact that they're a homeless couple. (Still have some of those gifts after 20 years!)
Good question!

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2008, 02:45 pm »
I recieved a new photo quality printer, which, while I'm really excited about, I haven't set up yet.  Mmmmm, I'm having fantasties about props tables with a detailed photo of what it should look like posted right over it, or photos of sound board settings!

Given?  Closest to that I can come is the pen I gave my husband.  It had a rose made out of duct tape on it.  (Couldn't find red gaff!)  Why is this an SMish gift?  Because I've found that if I use really outrageous pens in rehearsal, no one asks to borrow it and then ends up stealing it.  No one at his job will steal it, either!
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

killerdana

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2008, 02:08 am »
It's semi-SM-related:  I have a collection of T-shirts that I wear during tech ("princess,"  "goddess," "Wonder Woman," even one that says "KillerDana"--it's actually the name of a surf shop) that inspire me to live up to my job during a crazy time.  My mom expanded my repertoire this year with a Wonder Woman bracelet--This way I can inspire myself even when I have to dress up for a show.
Science without art is sterile.  --Albert Einstein

Norah Jane Scheinman

• New to Town
  • Responsibility is the ability to respond.
    • View Profile
    • Norah Jane Scheinman
  • Affiliations: Rutgers University-Mason Gross (MFA) ; Hobart & William-Smith Colleges (BA);
  • Current Gig: various
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2009, 02:58 pm »
I got 4 set models!  ;D One of them was the original and signed set model of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof  :o I was so happy I cried!
"Service is a willingness to serve something larger than yourself" - Barack Obama

crazylady

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2009, 11:49 am »
I received a new leatherman! it's awesome. I think i might be in love with it.
“Perhaps, therefore, ideal stage managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds.”
                                           - Peter Hall

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2009, 12:49 pm »
I also received a new leatherman wave to replace mine that had gotten stolen!

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2009, 11:45 pm »
I got a new container for my kit to help be more portable.  It's a Plano tackle bag with 4 plastic, divided containers inside.  I love it!!
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

Srlaupan

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2009, 01:41 pm »
I got a couple binders and some really nice printable-on dividing tabs...trying to explain to my mom that "Yes, I know how big a 3" binder is..." and "Yes, I really can fill that up quite quickly..." and "No, I don't really care what color, I usually stick to black, but yes, pink and green would be very cute..." over the phone while she was at Office Depot was entertaining. (Needless to say the binders I got were, yes, pink and green.)

I also got a called a Livescribe Pulse Pen. It's a pen that can record sound as well as what you write and sync them together. Go to livescribe.com if you want to check it out, it's kind of hard to explain. Really I got it for school with classes and such but I'm excited for the possibilities I might be able to implement for stage managing.

PACEPSM

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2009, 04:37 pm »
I didn't really get any SM gifts this year, paying for all these apps to schools I guess is kind of a SM gift because its what I'll be majoring in.
however, my favorite SM gift that I've ever received in past was Th Stage Management Handbook by Daniel Ionazzi.  Its great, and full of practical information and advice.  It also has all the Equity information for SMs.

Shari88

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2009, 05:16 pm »
I got a portable and microwavable expresso maker that I will be able to use in the theatre on cold rehearsal nights. It also makes Cappuccinos!
Best Wishes :)

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2009, 06:49 pm »
I got a portable and microwavable expresso maker that I will be able to use in the theatre on cold rehearsal nights. It also makes Cappuccinos!

Wow!  Talk about an SM luxury.  I'm sure you'll be quite the popular SM with that option!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Shari88

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2009, 07:48 pm »
And I will manage to stay awake its no a brainer
Best Wishes :)

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2009, 02:54 am »
This wasn't a holiday gift.
And I don't know if this applies.

But I recently ended a show where I was the stage manager/mentor for a college production.  I was the mentor to my student ASM.

At the end of the run, along with a booklet/starter handbook I had drafted with another stage manager previously (just your basic description, outlines, paperwork...things the school really didn't provide), I gave her a high quality stop watch.  (The same one I use and love).

Yes, not exciting but still so special to her (and me). She never had one because it never occurred to her to use anything other than her cell phone to tell time or time breaks/show.  My stopwatch is with me at all times and she knew this.  Valuable tool, if you ask me! :)

To be honest, being a stage manager, it's rather easy (and enjoyable) shopping for other SMs....because you know what they will need, use and enjoy (though it's often not exciting to other folks but usually your basic necessities!)

Ha! :D
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2009, 02:57 am by A.Baj »
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

damjamkato

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2009, 05:31 pm »
I got this amazing pencil sharpener that can stick on to any surface, and once it's there, it acts as if it is screwed in to the wall.  Its cool because if I keep this in my kit, I don't have to deal with the annoying handheld pencil sharpeners.