Author Topic: Help shopping for a headset - specifically, help understanding connectors!  (Read 10652 times)

TarytheA

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Thanks for the update on the headset, I've been considering a purchase (or a well-placed hint to relatives seeking to get me something) and I like the point you made about the comfort. I've never switched back and forth but often in a show I lift one side off my head to take the pressure off. Do you mind a followup question? How adjustable is the headset? I have a very small head and find I need to adjust headsets I work with as small as possible, and even then I often find them slipping off if I don't set them just right.

Great question, Michelle. Sorry for taking so long to realize that you had asked it! I measured the inside of the headset, and it came out to be 12.5 inches at the smallest setting. That's from the bottom of the non-ear side (would likely sit right at the top of your earlobe, around the inside of the headset to the middle of the ear muff. At the largest setting that same distance was 14 inches. Does that help at all?
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
-Herm Albright

renal

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
This is such a helpful thread!! I'm starting to look for a headset myself, and would love to ask for some specifications, as well as some more recommendations, if anyone has some more favorite headsets.

Y'all. I have a new favorite headset. Yes, it's even better than my beloved PH-88.
drumroll please....
The Sennheiser Air Traffic Control Headset.
http://catalog.avispl.com/Sennheiser-Air-Traffic-Control-Headset-with-Dynamic-Microphone-and-1.85m-Singlesided-Round-Cable/Accessory/702089

The The Sennheiser Air Traffic Control Headset looks awesome, but I was wondering, does it cover both ears, or is it a single ear headset? From the photo on the website linked it appears to be a dual ear headset, but I did a bit more looking and there's another one that only has a single ear headset (which is what I would prefer).

I was also wondering if this headset comes with a mute button, as I couldn't tell from the specifications.

If anyone else has a favorite headset that is one ear, with a mute button that is comfy and able to switch from ear to ear, I would love recommendations!

Finally, (and I don't know if these exist or are in common use) I was wondering if anyone has experience with wireless headsets, are you a single one, or at this point can you only buy an entire system? And if so are there any that come with an adaptor that always them to be used as a wired headset (in case you're using a system that only has wired headset capability).

I would really really love to have a wireless headset as I'm backstage a good deal, but I would also love the option to use an adaptor and plug it in to a theatre's system as well.

I would be surprised if such a thing existed (or if it was less than a million bucks) but if anyone has any experience with such a thing, please let me know!

(Also apologies if I used incorrect terminology, I don't have a lot of experience with the exact technical terms, so if I contradicted myself or mentioned something laughably impossible, please forgive me).

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
  • Experience: Professional
Quote from: renal

The Sennheiser Air Traffic Control Headset looks awesome, but I was wondering, does it cover both ears, or is it a single ear headset? From the photo on the website linked it appears to be a dual ear headset, but I did a bit more looking and there's another one that only has a single ear headset (which is what I would prefer).

I was also wondering if this headset comes with a mute button, as I couldn't tell from the specifications.

The Sennheiser ATC is a convertible-ear headset- one ear is on a swivel, so it can cover both ears or you can swivel the side opposite the mic up and it becomes the pad of the headband part, if that makes sense? Which actually makes it like 100x more comfortable than the little dinky pad on a regular headset.
I've never used a headset with a mute button on the headset itself, rather than on the belt pack or comm box.

Moderator note: touched up bbcode formatting -KMC
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 12:18 pm by KMC »
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.