Author Topic: Google Groups?  (Read 8890 times)

bdmovies

• New to Town
  • Me after Charlie Brown...
    • View Profile
Google Groups?
« on: Apr 08, 2007, 04:06 pm »
Has anyone here used Google Groups? I'm using it right now for my talent show. It seems like a good way to commicate with techs and actors. It's a small forum, you can create custom pages, and upload files. I'll get back to you all after the show.
Bobby D.

kaitlinmarie

• New to Town
  • I'm too reliable for my own good. That's why I SM.
    • View Profile
Re: Google Groups?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2007, 05:15 pm »
Is it similiar to Yahoo Groups?

The last show I ASMed we used it, and for somethings it was wonderful (such as keeping everyone organized and on the same page) however problems arose as soon as people began to "slip up" and forget to check the group.

Hopefully, it wokrs out better for you though!
Let me know what happens.

bdmovies

• New to Town
  • Me after Charlie Brown...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2007, 06:24 pm »
Yes, it is very similar to Yahoo Groups. Right now, I'm testing Google Groups just with the techs for the talent show, in hopes for use in college, or to hand off to my successor in high school. I have faith in my techs, but yes, I can see my actors forgetting to check up on it.
Bobby D.

kaitlinmarie

• New to Town
  • I'm too reliable for my own good. That's why I SM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2007, 07:22 pm »
Very true.

Our Techs (I SM for my college School of Theater) were awesome about keeping track but the actors were supposed to get their rehearsal schedules off of the site and would forget constantly. Sorry I'm so interested, I would just like to try using the groups again and hope to here a success story!

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2007, 10:55 pm »
We actually went a step further when I was at school.  Beginning the fall of 2004 we had the entire callboard for the school of theatre online, hosted on a university server.  All performance reports, rehearsal reports, rehearsal schedules, notes, minutes, production calendars, etc... were all online.  It makes the life of a stage manager so much easier.  Example - in rehearsal you type your report in excel as you go, as soon as your rehearsal is over you save the excel file to the server and you're done, everything is updated for the world to view.  Most of the time I was packing up and done with rehearsal before the actors were packed up.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

djemily

• New to Town
  • God said "GO", and then there was light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2007, 01:58 am »
I had some free time so I checked out the Google Groups. I like it! I'm going to try it for at least one of the musicals I'm doing this summer. If anyone on here has some experience with it I may be asking for some help later on.

**later on**

Can I get the "email this group" thing to e-mail me instead of posting it on the discussion board?

thehayworth

• Contributor
  • Uh oh.
    • View Profile
    • Propaganda Pipeline
  • Current Gig: Santaland Diaries
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2007, 10:17 am »
does everyone have to create a google or gmail account to use it?
"This time for sure."

djemily

• New to Town
  • God said "GO", and then there was light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2007, 03:17 pm »
I think so, but creating a Google account is not the same as a gmail account.

malewen

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2007, 12:08 am »
If it is of any interest to you, Steppenwolf used a Google Group for the creative/design team for our production of The Diary of Anne Frank and it seemed to work well.

LiLz

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Boundless Journey
  • Affiliations: AEA, USITT
« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2007, 12:30 am »
I used Google Groups for many of my school productions and was always very pleased with the results.  Sometimes I had to invite someone twice, but that was the only problem I ever experienced.  I'd highly recommend giving it a try.

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 2007, 04:43 pm »
I've never used Google groups, but I love using Google calendar to keep my cast and crew updated about the rehearsal schedule. You can set it up to give you a web address that has the calendar, so no one has to have a Google account to view it (you need one to post things, though).