Author Topic: Google Chrome  (Read 6744 times)

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Google Chrome
« on: Jun 13, 2009, 12:28 pm »
As stage managers we tend to spend a good bit of time on the web, especially if you're using any web-based assets for your show.  I've recently downloaded the Google's somewhat new browser, Chrome.  I needed a browser on my personal laptop (which is aging not so gracefully) that is very light on system resources, and so far this seems to be the ticket.  Anyone else used this browser?  Thoughts?
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Google Chrome
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2009, 03:32 pm »
I just downloaded it today to see what it was all about. How are you liking it? Any tips to offer?
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

KMC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2009, 06:20 am »
I like it a lot and use it exclusively on my laptop.  It doesn't offer a lot of the add-in features you can get with Firefox or IE, however the benefit in that is you've got a browser that is extremely light on system resources.  It is great for my laptop, which is an older machine that has not aged gracefully!  For older machines it can be a benefit as it runs extremely fast and loads pages quickly as well. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

CRVerdusco

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA, USITT, IATSE
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2009, 10:59 pm »
If you haven't downloaded the newest verision, I would suggest doing so.  I just downloaded the new version and I used it through the beta version, it offers some new features like themes and allowing the same plug-ins you might use in firefox for videos and everything.

I also suggest google bookmarks, I don't remember the link to set it up just google it, it allows you to take your links wherever you go.

KMC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2009, 08:46 am »
If you haven't downloaded the newest verision, I would suggest doing so.  I just downloaded the new version and I used it through the beta version, it offers some new features like themes and allowing the same plug-ins you might use in firefox for videos and everything.

Hi CRVerdusco, welcome to SMNet!

Wasn't aware a new version was out - I'm actually a bit disappointed to hear about the themes and plugins, my biggest attraction to chrome was how lightweight it was.  My laptop is not exactly state of the art.  The word "themes" just screams "resource hog" to me, heh.  Perhaps I'll check it out - does it come with options to disable the extras?

CRVerdusco

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2009, 12:42 am »
It doesn't come with the themes, they are all optional.  I have been using the beta for awhile of the new version, and I like it a lot and haven't notice it take up any extra resources (one of the things like like about google they give you everything need with little extras).  Have you done anything with google sites?  I keep complete online callboards, my cast loves them.

KMC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2009, 11:41 am »
Great, I will try the new version soon!

I have played a bit with google sites.  For my personal taste it is too rigid.  It is perfect for an online callboard though, especially if the user is either not tech savvy enough or doesn't have the time to create a more flexibile online page.  I used to use google pages for my alumni chapter's website, however they merged google pages into google sites, so I have gone off of google for that site now.

One thing you my explore if you've got a bit of web design experience (not much is required, my skills are rudimentary at best) are content mangement systems.  These would also be great for an online callboard for a show.  It requires a bit more setup initially, however it's entirely flexible to suit the needs of whatever you're working on.  You can also set certain content so people can only see it if they are logged in.  This would be perfect for protecting things like contact sheets, design drawings, etc.. that you don't want available to the public.  For my alumni chapter's site I use drupal, however there are a number of open source content management systems out there.

CRVerdusco

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2009, 11:33 pm »
I haven't ever dealt with content management, but you have my curious I will have to look into it.  Google sites is very rigid but for most of my uses it has worked, there are always somethings though I would like to just tweak a little bit.  I have been studying up on my HTML coding so that helped on my most recent site, was able to take it beyond the basics that google outlines for you.

If you're interested in seeing what I've done here's the link http://sites.google.com/site/lppacproduction/
I am working in residency currently, last year I did a separate site for each show that I did, I found that excessive and felt that since I work with the same cast often it was an extra step for them to remember different sites.  So this year I unified the entire process and made a tech department website that breaks off to all the shows for the season.  This also offers any of the extra SMs hired to set up their own site.  My current show is The King and I, the other shows are as other SMs have made fooled with the site.

stephaleph

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 15, 2009, 08:17 pm »
I've been messing around with the Google stuff too. I wanted to make it easy for the cast to get online and check when rehearsals and meetingsd are. So, far the best thing about it is it will e-mail the cast a reminder for everything I add them to. The google docs works pretty well too for loading up light cues and rehearsal reports etc.

I think if I had a lot of shows though it would become tedious. For this one show though it's nice to keep it all organized and backed up to something. I'm always afraid I'm going to lose my prompt book or info I need. This way if I forget or lose something I just have to go to Google.

Google chrome sounds pretty great, I haven't heard too many good things about it, but it sounds good for older computers. Besides I've only heard things from people that are technically challenged (IE is the only way for some people). Anyway, I use Firefox mostly because its been reliable for me, a lot of the problems that IE has Firefox magically gets around haha.

KMC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2009, 10:19 am »
So - turns out I was already running the latest version of chrome.  I've tried out a theme, I've got "brushed metal" going.  "Brushed metal" is also available for iGoogle homepage, so it's a pretty sleek combo.