Author Topic: foggers gassing actors.  (Read 3905 times)

CTsometimeSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
foggers gassing actors.
« on: Nov 19, 2008, 02:24 pm »
Community theatre, 2 small foggers (think haunted house style), in use for 4 weeks of a run with no issues, then Sunday Matinee it suddenly seems to be killing the actor's throats (one major coughing fit-to the point of unable to clear even with water and having to leave the stage, interrupting the show, plus several smaller coughing issues).

There had been an unusual amount of illness around previously, but it seemed to have cleared by last weekend.  The actress in question isn't exactly the most conscientious of taking care of her voice (HS students are fun), but had been solid since she recovered from our mystery cold.

So, the question is-any idea if the fogger's could be at fault.  Same fog juice that has gone into them last several weeks, no changes in use, amount, etc.  If so, any ideas?  Drain and replace fluid is already in the plan, but haven't extensively played with foggers before other than the Dry Ice version.

sarahbear42

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: foggers gassing actors.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2008, 03:30 pm »
Bronchitis/inflammation just making airways more sensitive?

Maybe switch to dry ice? That's always been kinder in shows I've worked on that used them...

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2008, 04:21 pm »
Are you using the fog fluid that is designed by the manufacturer of the fog machines?  Fog machines are calibrated by their manufacturers and it's a good idea to use the fluid they recommend with each specific fogger.  If the heating element inside is too cold for the specific fluid you're using, the fluid may not evaporate all the way and could leave a residue onstage.  If the heating element is too hot for the fluid you're using, it can change the chemistry of the vapors and cause harmful side effects.  Using their fluid is a good way to avoid these problems.

Also, how much vapor is in the air?? Maybe just scaling back the density of vapor in the air will solve your issues as well. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

CTsometimeSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2008, 04:32 pm »
My guess is at least part the illnesses leading to increased sensitivity-

Dry Ice not an option (I don't have the equipment, and the theatre isn't about to spring for it-yes, I asked)

Manufacturer recomended fluid in use-heck, it is made by the same guys making the fogger.  That said, possibly bad fluid (does it even go bad) is the reason for the drain and replace already in the works.

Volume in the air is a possibility-working to manage it.

Still possible the fog is just incidental rather than causative.  Just running down the things that I can deal with to remove as many variables as possible.

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2008, 04:57 pm »
Fog Fluid is designed so that it will not irritate the throat, and can be used alongside people with very sensitive throats. I would say it is one of two things - it is either psychosomatic (ie someone coughed (may even be for an unrelated reason) which triggered a mental "allergy" to the smoke) or incomplete combustion.

As for "Does fog fluid go bad" - yes it does, but only when exposed to air for a couple of months. So you can keep fog fluid in store rooms in their sealed canisters for years, but once you crack the seal, the clock starts ticking. To get the fluid to the point that you start having really poor combustion (to the point of coughing) should take over a year. More likely it needs distilled water run through the machine to clean the heat exchanger.

My vote is still for "It's all in their heads" or "Totally unrelated issue"

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2008, 09:13 am »
Have you found a solution here?  How's it going?
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

CTsometimeSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2008, 10:44 am »
Yup, problem solved.  We just closed actually, but the last weekend went significantly better.  Picked up some fogger cleaner, ran it for a while (for future referance-don't do this onstage, it stinks), then distilled water for a good 30 minutes.  No more coughing (which I still am guessing was because everyone was healthy, but seeing me hunched over a fogger with a bottle labled cleaner was a good placebo).

Incidentally it made the silly thing work much better.  Turns out one of the two the theatre owns has been around for a while, and cleaning never occured to anyone.

Conclusion-no idea if it was the fogger or not, but if you use one, clean it anyway. (duh)

Moderator note:  Topic locked as issue has been resolved.

-Kevin
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2008, 12:43 pm by kmc307 »

riotous