Author Topic: Fireproof plastic  (Read 3520 times)

teachsneech

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: World of Wearable Art Awards Show
  • Experience: Professional
Fireproof plastic
« on: Sep 18, 2012, 06:07 pm »
Hi there,

We are having trouble sourcing 'inherently fire retardant' clear plastic. It is to frame a black box theatre and will be hung from the grid.
We sourced some in the States, but the problem was the shipping to New Zealand put the purchase way out of our budget.

Does anyone have any ideas of where we could source some closer to home?
Or perhaps any type of plastic we may not have considered, the fire retardant-ness is important though.

At the moment we are running tests on PVC used in green houses. We are hopeful, but are also exploring other options.

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
Re: Fireproof plastic
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2012, 11:11 am »
We have used construction grade sheeting before to great success on several shows.  We used something like this http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/AMERICOVER-Construction-Film-6XWY3?Pid=search which was translucent but not 100% clear.  Hope this helps!
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
Re: Fireproof plastic
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2012, 04:20 pm »
I'd suggest going straight to your local fire marshall for their thoughts, seeing as they're the people in the end who will decide whether the material is going to pass code. In a production of Tales of Edgar Allen Poe last season, every leg, border and curtain was replaced by thick plastic...and they told us to take it all down three days before closing.

riotous