Author Topic: Filemaker?  (Read 7781 times)

TourSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Filemaker?
« on: Jun 19, 2008, 07:57 pm »
I've recently been shadowing the PSMs on Broadway and notice that a number of them use Filemaker to generate their reports. I was wondering if anyone else uses this and if there is a template available?

johnmurdock

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • John D Murdock, Stage Manager
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
Re: Filemaker?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2008, 11:24 pm »
I second this, anyone have any good filemaker forms?
Specificially rehearsal and performance.
John Murdock
AEA Stage Manager
John@Johndmurdock.com
http://Http://www.johndmurdock.com

Libby

« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2008, 03:47 pm »
I've seen it a bunch. But every stage manager I know who has every built on themselves are extremely protective of them. Mostly because they take so long to make. There is a lock feature in Filemaker (and most software programs) that lets them lock things like the Title of Show/Venue/etc. This way they can share the software without people stealing it. In filemaker you can also put an expiration date, where the file will no longer open after a certain date. From having worked with them in the past they are AMAZING to work with, but a lot of trouble to manipulate/change when you need to.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2012, 07:01 pm »
This topic is old but does anyone use Filemaker for forms? A sound designer I am working with showed me how she generates forms in Filemaker and it seems like it might have some use for SMs. Basically it looks like you can input a lot of information, and then generate forms using that info in any number of configurations.

If there's someone who uses this software for stage management, I would love to hear more about how they use it. Thanks!

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2012, 07:34 pm »
Filemaker is a godsend when you're working by yourself/want to automate SM tasks. I use it to create rehearsal reports, props lists, master tracking, contact sheets, signage, run sheets....you name it, I probably do it in filemaker.

However, To do some of the sexier functions, you do need to know how to code using the programs language. I'll get a hold of the person who created the database I use and see if I can post it for the enjoyment of others. But like I said: It's buggy as sin right now but you can get an idea of what is possible for SM's. And maybe you can even fix it up and repost it once it's fixed!

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2012, 02:14 pm »
Thanks for the info- if you're able to post some of that database that would be great! It would definitely help me decide if it's worth the time/money investment.

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2012, 09:01 am »
We have filemaker at work and I can't stand it. It's either not working, or I can't get back to the page I need. Maybe I should look at it again.

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2012, 04:19 pm »
navigation can be a pain in the butt until you either 1) create enough common sense shortcut buttons per page or 2) just memorize your drop down menu. I use a healthy combination of both.

Unfortunately I can't upload the most recent version I'm using per the request of the creator. I have a much much older incarnation of it I need to clean up and I will post in due time, but I need to delete much in terms of sensitive materials and information.

marilee

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2012, 03:57 pm »
I am surprised that there isn't a theatre solution out there.  I know everyone does things different, but i would be absolutely willing to purchase a template set.  Does any one have any ideas where to look, or their own templates?  I would appreciate any ideas.  I have access to fmp 6 through 12 so the version isn't a problem.

Thank you

Rhynn

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2012, 12:54 am »
I have written an Access database program that I use primarily for Contact Lists, Attendance Sheets, To Do, and Q Sheets--including combining all for a Master Q list. 

What would you want in this program?  Do you have copies of the forms that would be most helpful?  Do you know what kind of data you would like to track?
-----
I'm flattered, but the answer is still no.

PSMAK

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2015, 04:13 pm »
I know this thread is quite old, but... Is anyone willing to share a Filemaker type database that they have created. I'm more interested to see how you did it as opposed to actually stealing it, as formatting might be different between SMs. I've tried to wrap my head around it. And mostly understanding relationships a pain.

I'm planning on creating one for cast lists, props tracking, and cue sheets mostly (especially separate cue list to a master).

Please PM me.

Thank you!

riotous