Author Topic: Favorite Bag  (Read 37121 times)

bpaige

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Website
  • Affiliations: EMC for AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Favorite Bag
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2012, 02:43 pm »
While I'm not commenting for the sake of an ultimate holding bag, I do have this awesome bag from Jamie Raquel ( http://www.jamieraquel.com/ ). It is basically a file box that has three pockets and is stylish to carry. I often use this for special paper I generally need to grab right at the beginning of rehearsal as well as my keys, wallet, cell phone, etc. It fits my netbook perfectly too!

I just got a second bag from the same site. I have the lime green version and the purple version.

Nic Sedivec; SM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2012, 01:07 am »
I purchased a Timbuk2 bag back in college and it is still in perfect condition. It can hold a laptop AND a 3" binder and still zip. There are several front pockets and a handy little strip (that can zip into its own pocket) that attaches to a clip for keys and USB's. It was $100 or so and one of the best purchases I have ever made. Mine is all black, but if you go to the website you can customize the panels of the bag to different colors and they also have different sizes. Timbuk2 also has a great warranty...I haven't needed it, so I would have to go digging in a file cabinet for the paperwork...

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2012, 03:42 pm »
Do you happen to remember what size your Timbuk2 bag is?  I've been interested in purchasing one, but have grown weary of purchasing bags online as I seem to underestimate the size and how much they can hold, even with the dimensions given on the website.

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:22 pm »
Mine (the Commute 1.0) is a medium, and would definitely fit a 3" binder. The major differences that I can see between mine and the 2.0 is that mine has an internal computer pocket and a slightly different setup in the organization under the flap.

Specs:
Laptop Compartment Dimensions: 16" x 10" x 1.5"
Size: 16" x 10.8" x 6"

If you're interested, I would actually consider selling mine.
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

Nic Sedivec; SM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2012, 10:47 pm »
I just looked at my bag, it is a little larger than MarcieA mentioned. Must have been the model right before. I can fit a 4" binder, it just doesn't zip if my mac is in there as well. Hope any of that helps.

amandaackovitz

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2012, 01:24 am »
I recently purchased an all-black "Eminence Tote" from The North Face. As a college student, the $75 (including shipping) was a little steep for me, but it has definitely been worth it. As of today, I am comfortably carrying a 15" MacBook Pro, a travel umbrella, fleece jacket, 3" binder, assortment of lip balm/earbuds/mints/powerbars/other small goodies, bag-o'-writing utensils/post-its, and full-size laptop charger... And I have a bit of room to spare! The bag has a laptop compartment, several zippered pockets both inside and out, and a few other small good-to-have features.

The best part of this bag, in my opinion? 100% recycled fabric that's super sturdy and dirt-resistant.

Melissad

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2012, 07:59 pm »
The Ella tote by Jansport is pretty awesome. Laptop, 3 inch binder, hole punch and more all fit in. I love it.

TheSingingSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: Company Management Resident - Long Wharf Theatre
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #22 on: Mar 10, 2012, 05:17 pm »
So I got another back...on rollers. I've been using it in rehearsals this semester and I've used it this weekend at SETC. It's from Ativa, and it sure does hold a lot and doesn't sacrifice mobility.  http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/410409/Ativa-Mobil-IT-Ultimate-Workmate-14/#reviewTab  just make sure you scroll up a bit to see the picture.

alistairhammond

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #23 on: Mar 11, 2012, 08:00 am »
My current bag is my Swissgear Ibex rucksack. Takes my 17" Sony Vaio, plus, tools, small tackle box, water etc. The straps are really comfortable and I can carry my laptop around all day if need be. The pockets are well organised, there's even a little one at the top for all your important bits. I also use it every day at school. The document holders are also the perfect size for keeping a t-shirt and a pair of trousers nice and flat in. newbielink:http://www.swissgear.eu/the-ibex#1 [nonactive]
Buttons, Buttons, where's your hat?

John Zachary Wells

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Cincinnati Conservatory of Music, Aurora Community Theater
  • Current Gig: Revue Review, Cincinnati Conservatory of Music
« Reply #24 on: Sep 26, 2012, 09:31 pm »
I currently have the "Bag of Holding" but It isn't big enough so I am thinking of upgrading to a Timbuck2 bag.
Fortune Favors the Bold

jcarey

• New to Town
  • Stage Manager and Lifetime Student
    • View Profile
    • James D Carey on LinkedIn
  • Affiliations: UNCSA, USITT
  • Current Gig: BFA Stage Management, UNCSA
« Reply #25 on: Oct 18, 2012, 10:38 am »
OK so I have a tackle box that I use for my kit, but sometimes I just need my laptop script etc, but had a difficult time finding the right one that could hold enough, wasn't freakin expensive, and rugged enough.  I have found it from a company called Think Geek, it's called the Bag of holding.  It holds EVERYTHING!  http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/bags/aaa5/ 

Anyone have one they love?

Thanks for sharing! I was just thinking today I need a bigger laptop bag that will hold my laptop and my zippered binder and NOT be bursting at the seams. Have you purchased this yet and taken it for a spin?

I love this topic. I actually recently met Dallas at a conference at UNCSA and I do have the messenger-bag style of the Bag of Holding. I LOVE it. It has a lot of pockets and space to store a lot of what I need. The only problem I've run into is that the bag gets pretty heavy and bulky after a few books and binders and with the one shoulder strap this could cause some back and shoulder problems. Otherwise, I would highly recommend it. If you want me to go into more detail about the pockets I can, but I think the thinkgeek website has a lot of the specs.
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

- Douglas Adams

catalinacisne

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 19, 2012, 11:42 am »
The only problem I've run into is that the bag gets pretty heavy and bulky after a few books and binders and with the one shoulder strap this could cause some back and shoulder problems.
This. I find myself walking at a serious angle to counter-balance the weight of the overly-stuffed bag of holding. Coupled with the fact that I walk/public transit EVERYWHERE, it can get pretty hefty. I'll carry either my laptop OR my prompt book in this, but if I need to travel with both (moving from rehearsal into the space, etc) I'll opt for a proper backpack, instead.

jcarey

• New to Town
  • Stage Manager and Lifetime Student
    • View Profile
    • James D Carey on LinkedIn
  • Affiliations: UNCSA, USITT
  • Current Gig: BFA Stage Management, UNCSA
« Reply #27 on: Oct 19, 2012, 12:08 pm »
It traveled with me to New York last time I went and trying to navigate Times Square with it was kind of a chore, although it was nice to have everything I owned with me.
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

- Douglas Adams

StageSerenity

• New to Town
  • I guess all roads DO lead to the SM booth...
    • View Profile
    • My Journey Through Life With Theatre
« Reply #28 on: Dec 31, 2012, 12:01 am »
My favorite bag?

Maxpedition Condor-II Backpack with extra attachments. Downsides? Well it's about $150, worth every penny. No dedicated laptop space. My solution? neoprene sleeve for my laptop. Before I used this for my SM kit, this was my backpack for school, for 5 years. It's still in nearly perfect shape.

If you must have a dedicated laptop space I suggest Goruck's GR2 in black. Downsides? Again $400 I split the cost with my Parental Unit. It's made in the USA and has a lifetime warranty. Still worth it.

Just my $0.02.
Grant me the **Serenity**
to accept the things that I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the Wisdom to hide those people...

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 31, 2012, 06:30 pm »
I just recieved a new SM tote for christmas and I love it so far. It is from the company 31 and they do parties (kind of like pampered chef or Mary Kay) with a consultant, and my mother picked this out for me:

http://www.thirtyonegifts.com/Catalog/Product/227/

It has a zipper to close it, and I've been told that you can get other bags to put inside to seperate your organization some more. There are mesh pockets on each end which are great for waterbottles/snacks so crumbs don't stay, and there are enough pockets on the outside for easy access items I may need during rehearsal. There is more than enough room inside for my hefty laptop and several binders. My favorite part? It comes in awesome designs!

riotous