Author Topic: Favorite Bag  (Read 37131 times)

jayscott

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Favorite Bag
« on: Mar 01, 2011, 04:18 pm »
OK so I have a tackle box that I use for my kit, but sometimes I just need my laptop script etc, but had a difficult time finding the right one that could hold enough, wasn't freakin expensive, and rugged enough.  I have found it from a company called Think Geek, it's called the Bag of holding.  It holds EVERYTHING!  http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/bags/aaa5/ 

Anyone have one they love?

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
Re: Favorite Bag
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:18 pm »
OK so I have a tackle box that I use for my kit, but sometimes I just need my laptop script etc, but had a difficult time finding the right one that could hold enough, wasn't freakin expensive, and rugged enough.  I have found it from a company called Think Geek, it's called the Bag of holding.  It holds EVERYTHING!  http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/bags/aaa5/ 

Thanks for sharing! I was just thinking today I need a bigger laptop bag that will hold my laptop and my zippered binder and NOT be bursting at the seams. Have you purchased this yet and taken it for a spin?

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:56 pm »
I have an L. L. Bean canvas photographer's bag that holds an amazing amount of stuff....laptop, script, lunch...
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

stagebear

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2011, 01:03 pm »
I love R.E.Load bags - http://www.reloadbags.com/. They are expensive, but they're fully customizable. The material is seriously the best - you can drench it, drag it on the sidewalk, etc and it lives up.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2011, 03:57 am »
My favorite bag predates truly portable laptops.  It actually predates portable cell phones.  It's a grey LL Bean messenger bag that I purchased in 1988.  I've named it Fred. 

It's been my main bag through middle school, high school, college, my entire SM career in a rough weather town... 6 years of real estate... and I still carry it any day that I need something larger than a purse.  23 years on, the waterproofing is kinda gone and the shoulder guard broke off years ago, but the bag itself is still in excellent condition.  LL Bean offers lifetime repairs on their gear so I could probably get it restored to original condition if I really wanted to.  I've considered it, but I don't think I could be parted from Fred for that long.

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2011, 04:30 pm »
I'm currently using an EMS wheeley backpack b/c my shoulders have been bothering me (I think I pulled a muscle) but normally I love my Timbuk2 messenger bag. They are customizable both in color and to an extent some features. Mine is 6 years old and looks absolutely brand new. I actually don't remember which style it is, but I think it's a 'commute' bag. At any rate it has the padded laptop sleeve inside.

I bought mine from ebags.com because I wasn't so picky about color (I rock a blue-silver-blue) but on timbuk2.com there are so many possibilities.

I actually sold my first one - it was a size large - because it was TOO BIG! I use a medium now and it's perfect for me and my 14 hour days.
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2011, 12:26 pm »
My favorite bag predates truly portable laptops.  It actually predates portable cell phones.  It's a grey LL Bean messenger bag that I purchased in 1988.  I've named it Fred. 

It's been my main bag through middle school, high school, college, my entire SM career in a rough weather town... 6 years of real estate... and I still carry it any day that I need something larger than a purse.  23 years on, the waterproofing is kinda gone and the shoulder guard broke off years ago, but the bag itself is still in excellent condition.  LL Bean offers lifetime repairs on their gear so I could probably get it restored to original condition if I really wanted to.  I've considered it, but I don't think I could be parted from Fred for that long.

Kay, this makes me really happy about my bag choice! Thanks for the vote of confidence.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

TheSingingSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: Company Management Resident - Long Wharf Theatre
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2011, 11:05 pm »

I ordered the very same bag. I'm looking forward to using it whether I'm gaming or working. I'm hoping that it earns its namesake.

SMLois

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Lois Backstage
  • Affiliations: CAEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Manager - The Drowsy Chaperone - Theatre Under the Stars
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2011, 12:55 am »
My current bag is a Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Games messenger bag.  The body of it is one large pocket, big enough to hold my laptop, necessary cables & a 3 inch binder.  It does also have a small mesh pocket at the top, large enough for an iPhone, but I often use it for change, keys, and business cards.

I used to have a Dickies brand messenger bag that I loved that had a bunch of pockets, but I like having it all in one pockets. 

Also, it was extremely discounted because I worked for the games. I think I paid $15 for it.

jayscott

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2011, 11:28 am »

Thanks for sharing! I was just thinking today I need a bigger laptop bag that will hold my laptop and my zippered binder and NOT be bursting at the seams. Have you purchased this yet and taken it for a spin?

I did purchase it, it's about $50 and it's great.  It is a canvas material so not extremely waterproof, but that's what umbrellas are for! I just love it, because during tech I was able to throw my portable printer in it (cannon i90) and later a pair of shoes, with my usual laptop, 3 ring binder, notepads, etc.

VilleSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Community Theatre League, SCCT, The Wilma
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2011, 03:02 pm »
The last show that I SM'd, I was running straight from classes to rehearsals (or vice-versa some days), so the majority of my equipment found a home in my backpack, with my kit in a large plastic tub (I've recently upgraded) that stayed in the student office at the theatre.
However, I recently attended a conference where every participant was given a bag full of goodies. The bag is 20" deep, and 6"x12" on the bottom. It is AMAZING (and lime green!). I'm now using it to tote my laptop and my rehearsal script around in, as well as some essential kit materials. I especially love it because nobody can possibly walk away with it without me noticing. Lime green is not an easy color to mask...
"The stage is not merely the meeting place of all the arts, but is also the return of art to life." - Oscar Wilde

TheSingingSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: Company Management Resident - Long Wharf Theatre
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2011, 02:07 pm »

I did purchase it, it's about $50 and it's great.  It is a canvas material so not extremely waterproof, but that's what umbrellas are for! I just love it, because during tech I was able to throw my portable printer in it (cannon i90) and later a pair of shoes, with my usual laptop, 3 ring binder, notepads, etc.

I'll second that. I got mine this past Monday, and I love it! It seems to have earned its namesake for sure!

Jonas_A

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: New Zealand Symphony Orchestra
« Reply #12 on: Apr 21, 2011, 09:13 am »
A few years back I bought myself a Crumpler messenger bag - www.crumpler.com.au. Mine is one of the larger sizes (a Complete Seed) and it can hold several binders, stacks of pens/tape/anything else I feel the need to carry. Looks great, and after four years it still looks like new.

Where I come from they're extraordinarily common (the company is based in Melbourne), but not sure how easy they are to get in America and the UK. Well worth it if you can get your hands on one.

Kristine

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, Theta Alpha Phi
  • Current Gig: Spirits to Enforce, UW-Whitewater
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2011, 03:05 am »
I'm absolutely in LOVE with my SM bag. I'm obsessed with pockets and sections and this has more than even I can use:

Spiderwire Wolf Spider Tackle Bag:     http://www.gearbuyer.com/products/outdoor_recreation_group_spiderwire_wolf_spider_tackle_bag.html
It's technically a tackle kit for fishing but the boxes are perfect for organizing first aid kits, office supplies, etc. The things on the side for fishing line are great for spike and gaff tape. The padded shoulder straps are really nice for carrying it and there's an elastic spot for me to slide my prompt book into.

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2011, 10:55 am »
Since my last post in March, I've switched nearly full time to a backpack. Ongoing shoulder pain has made the 1-sided nature of a messenger bad too much for me and I cannot comfortably switch the side that the bag hangs to...it just feels so wrong.

After a ton of research, I settled on the North Face Surge (Women's). This bag is amazing! So much room. Really. It just goes on and on, without the bag getting too bulky. Also, on of the great things about it is a dedicated laptop pocket, so I can get my computer without opening the whole bag up.

http://www.amazon.com/THE-NORTH-FACE-SURGE-DAYPACK/dp/B000NAYDTG
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.