Author Topic: Drinkable Prop That Looks Like Oil?  (Read 3672 times)

A-Clemann

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Drinkable Prop That Looks Like Oil?
« on: Apr 13, 2011, 03:31 pm »
Hello there theatre folk. r

I am developing a clown show where I want to try to drink something that looks like oil.  I would use molasses because it's the perfect consistency and colour but -ewww- I tried one sip and nearly had a sugar induced seizure.  How can I make a thick, gooey brown substance that I can drink by the mouthful.
thanks
ac
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2011, 06:44 pm by Rebbe »

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
Re: PROPS: Prop Oil
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2011, 06:40 pm »
Hello there theatre folk.

I am developing a clown show where I want to try to drink something that looks like oil.  I would use molasses because it's the perfect consistency and colour but -ewww- I tried one sip and nearly had a sugar induced seizure.  How can I make a thick, gooey brown substance that I can drink by the mouthful.
thanks
ac

I haven't tried this, but it might be worth a shot: chocolate syrup and Karo?

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
Re: Drinkable Prop That Looks Like Oil?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2011, 12:54 am »
Sugar-free maple syrup with caramel coloring to darken it?
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2011, 02:49 am »
Autocrat coffee syrup. It's water and sugar strained through coffee grounds. About the same consistency as chocolate syrup but not so sweet. Available on Amazon and elsewhere in gallon jugs. (It's used to make coffee milk, among other things, mostly popular in Rhode Island.)

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2011, 04:22 am »
How can I make a thick, gooey brown substance that I can drink by the mouthful.
There are some questions one simply should not ask the internet.  ;D

More seriously, two questions:
1) What kind of oil are we talking? Thick and gooey is fine and well, but are you after that golden, translucent, brand-new-bottle texture, or something darker and gloppier?
2) How close is your audience? Does the effect need to be bang-on accurate, or can you fudge it a bit?

One option worth considering is getting some water of the appropriate colour (Black food colouring is available, but can be rough to find. Google can help you make it yourself, if necessary.) and adding a few drops of a thickening agent like pectin, xanthan gum or agar, although you'll need to do some experimentation in order to get the ratio right. The major benefit of going this route is that the product should be both shelf-stable and fairly flavourless. (I imagine it'd be unpleasant to pour down your throat, but it shouldn't taste like anything other than the water which went into it.) Do bear in mind, though, that these thickening agents are usually used to prepare jellies and jams, so you should only be using a teeny tiny bit if you want the liquid to remain a liquid. You want to get rid of some of the viscosity, not eliminate it altogether.

If flavourlessness is a problem, you could toss in a few drops of essence of peppermint or cinnamon or whatever else to make it a little more appetizing without having to go the sweet route. (And that's culinary essence-of-peppermint/cinnamon/etc., not the stuff you'd buy for aromatherapy.)
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2011, 04:25 am by On_Headset »