Author Topic: Discussing drills  (Read 9201 times)

Calie.Davis

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Sweeney Todd And Seussical :D
  • Experience: High School
Discussing drills
« on: Feb 04, 2011, 09:48 pm »
I'm purchasing a hand held drill and I'm not sure which is more efficient..
A Makita or Dewalt?
Which lasts longer?
Which has more power?
Which is cheaper?

I'm sorry if this is a trouble I just wanted a personal opinion.
Techies don't make mistakes...WE IMPROVISE!

KBowman

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Orpheus Descending
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Discussing drills
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2011, 12:46 am »
I am a Dewalt fan through and through.  It is sturdy, reliable and worth the investment. 

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2011, 04:00 am »
I'll say that I mostly encounter those with Dewalt drills when I work as a carpenter/electrician/whatever. If you are going for heavy duty use, Dewalt is the way to go. The extra bit of money they will cost over a Makita is worth it.

If you're using it for high school crew (meaning you're probably only putting together one or two shows a year) a makita will work just fine too. They tend to be less expensive and can last. My fiancee purchased a makita about 4 or 5 years ago to assemble sets for her high school and that drill has served its purpose perfectly.

Both drills have comparable battery charges. Dewalt probably has a bit more punch in my opinion and will probably be able to sink screw with a little more ease. But Makita's will run you a little bit less in terms of the cash.

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2011, 04:02 pm »
Something I have run into as far as Dewault users....they say they specifically bought the sets of tools because of the different options, specifically the radio/charger.  I'm not sure if Makita carries that product, but I know 2 techies who swear by it.

Dewault does tend to be more of a contrator-grade tool in my experiences.  I personally use a Ryobi but use Dewault pretty frequently.  I know Makita has lithium batteries which tend to last for a much longer time than the normal nickel-cadmium batteries.  Dewault does not have this option at this time as far as I know.  I have the lithium batteries for my Ryobi set and they keep the tool working at full power all day, unlike the nickel-cadmium batteries which cause the tool to slow as the power level fades....forget using a reciprocating or circular saw at 1/2 power.

Calie.Davis

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2011, 04:18 pm »
Ah I see!I wish I could afford a Dewalt they are great for all awkward positions to hold a drills (You know upside down and in a impossible to reach corner).But since we'll be building simple sets this year I'll settle on a Makita. I've never liked rechargeable drills because they don't have as much power as a plug in but the Makita sounds like a keeper.Especially since it is for a High School Show and Community Theatre show I should be okay with a Makita and a long long long extension cord.

Thank you for your opinions I appreciate it :D

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2011, 12:15 am »
As a contractor I have had great luck with Ridgid.

The one thing that truly changed how I work is the impact driver.
It's amazing how quickly and easy screws go in with the right tool.
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2011, 01:36 pm »
The one thing that truly changed how I work is the impact driver.

OMG I love the impact driver....

valence

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2011, 01:29 pm »
We had Makita drills in my high school and they were great.  The battery life is good, as is the power (I'm using really old Dewalt drills right now, and the amount of effort it takes to screw something in with those compared to the Makitas is very noticable).  They also have LEDs near the bit, which is helpful when you're working in the dark, since you don't have to juggle a flashlight.
One thing that was very helpful, as avkid mentioned, is the impact driver. 

We also have the corresponding flashlights, which are convenient.  One of my ASMs liked to borrow it to keep at the prop table during the run.

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2011, 01:57 am »
I got my first drill at the age of 12. It came with my own room in our old dairy for my projects. It was a Dewalt. It died last year after a lot of abuse. Powerful right to the end.

lsears

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, Boston University
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:06 am »
Bosch makes a great "pocket sized" drill/driver.  My husband works in a scene shop and got several for folks there.  They look a little silly compared to the full sized DeWalts, but they have plenty of power, are small enough to get into awkward spaces, easy to carry up a ladder, and may be great if you are working with high school kids who aren't used to the weight of a full sized drill, since they only weigh 2 pounds.

Calie.Davis

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2011, 12:12 am »
oh wow sounds great! Bosch sounds good as well! In the end I got a hand me downs, my mothers plug in Dewalt and my fathers Makita with assorted drill bits :D so I got both though I appreciate all the opinions and what not

Rhynn

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 04, 2012, 01:03 am »
I've had both.  Makita doesn't have the torque that Dewalt has, nor the battery life.  Go with Dewalt.  You will never regret buying the best.
-----
I'm flattered, but the answer is still no.

John Zachary Wells

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Cincinnati Conservatory of Music, Aurora Community Theater
  • Current Gig: Revue Review, Cincinnati Conservatory of Music
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2012, 09:30 pm »
I have a Makita and I love it. Also look for deals, Makita had a great deal going on when I bought mine where I also got an extra battery and extra charger.
Fortune Favors the Bold

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2012, 08:44 am »
This is very interesting - over here, Makita is seen as a step-up from DeWalt......I have this (http://www.flints.co.uk/acatalog/Makita_LCT204W_Cordless_Drill_Driver.html), with an extra battery, and I can't complain. 10.8volt naturally runs out faster than 14.4V will, but they charge fast s well, and are so small and nifty!

TheWiseTurtle

• New to Town
  • "Live through this, and you won't look back."
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance - Taffety Punk
« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2012, 09:23 pm »
DeWalt has a lot of prestige, but at the scene shop at my university we use them and Makitas. When I need to plug a screw into something, I go for whatever impact driver is available, and then I prefer the DeWalt. The battery just lasts longer, and feels like it could put a screw in a steel plate.
But I've noticed that if you have to back a screw out with an impact driver right after putting it in, it comes out rocket-hot from the friction. So gloves become A Good Idea(tm).
Needs more gaff tape.

riotous