Author Topic: Covering Tattoos  (Read 7077 times)

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
Covering Tattoos
« on: Jun 13, 2011, 08:35 pm »
I am looking for a tattoo cover up makeup that will not run, smear or stain. Want to know the best part? It's to cover up a lady in a wedding dress....so the not bleeding part is clutch. There's not going to be enough of a budget to clean the dress off if it bleeds. So what have you guys used in the past?

I looked for this topic, but I couldn't find anything covering it. If I missed it, I apologize and please point me in the right direction.

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Covering Tattoos
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2011, 11:05 pm »
I just did a production that required an actress with 8 tattoos on her back/sides/shoulders to have them all completely covered (she was in a bra & jeans for the first 15 minutes of the show).

She covered them with latex and then just Ben Nye makeup & heavy powdering.  If the makeup rubbing off is still a concern after its been powdered, I'd look at maybe just using the latex? Depending on the skin tone of the actress, it might not need makeup over it.  Or maybe you could somehow dye the latex itself? I don't know if you can buy colored latex or not, but it might be worth looking into. 

Also, Dryel makes a spot treating product that works wonders for getting makeup out of clothing, we used it all the time in the costume shop where I went to college. http://www.amazon.com/Dryel-Home-Dry-Cleaning-System/dp/B000FGD5KG  It was a little pricey if I recall correctly, but one kit lasts for a long time and is definitely more cost effective than laundering a wedding dress for a little makeup smudge.
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2011, 11:35 pm »
layers of ben nye, latex, and powder. multiple layers. also make sure it has time to dry before she puts anything on it.

(brought to you by my last production, where a guy had to get naked and showered....and had a tattoo of scooby doo on his butt. yep.)
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

Celeste_SM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2011, 12:13 am »
Dermablend coverup plus powder.
http://www.dermablend.com/skinconditions/tattoos.aspx

But it will rub off with friction. It doesn't sweat off, but if clothing rubs on it, it will get on the clothing.

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2011, 04:02 am »
You can add paint into the latex before you put it on - colourmatching skin would be difficult, because of all the different tones, unless she can add foundation around it to blend in. We have something called Covent Garden primer over here, which you can add to paint to stop it cracking - this should work with painted latex as well, if you need it!

HTH
Chris

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2011, 09:53 am »
To add, is there something you can do to treat the fabric itself as well, just in the area threatened by the makeup smearing off? My initial reaction was to double stick a piece of seran, plastic or wax paper to the fabric.

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2011, 12:49 pm »
too intimate of a space to try to pull off some of the more traditional theater magic. She's going to be walking among the audience so that's why we're looking for a really good cover up. Of course saran wrap is obviously a very cheap method of protection. That shall be thrown into the conversation as well.

But this has certainly been a great deal to go on! I've also got word in from a couple of my more inked up friends on facebook, so hopefully one of these ideas pans out! Thanks guys :)

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2011, 01:18 pm »
I have an email out to our "Stella" who had some very, um, noticeable tatts that got covered up when we did Streetcar. She used some kind of big bandaid/latex cover, then put her make-up over it. And this is a 45 seat house with audience on top of us plus working in the house - if I can find out specifically what she used, will relay. Otherwise, the concept is the same - flesh-colored latex/flat bandaid and then skin make-up over.

riotous