Author Topic: Comm Adaptors  (Read 3095 times)

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
  • Experience: Professional
Comm Adaptors
« on: May 10, 2012, 10:29 am »
So this is a little specific, but I'm moonlighting for a webcasting company and I'm wondering if it's possible to buy (or build) an adaptor that would allow me to listen to the casts (we use 1/4 and 1/8 in, but going back and forth between those is easy) with my 4 pin telex comm headset. I wouldn't want/need to talk, just to listen. I can't find anything intended to be used as headphones that I like as much as my comm! I know we have some sound geeks on the board and I'm comfortable soldering if I can just throw the connectors together... but I'm a little too far out of my audio shop days to remember if I can do that. Anyone know if I can buy/make anything like this? Thanks in advance for any ideas!

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Comm Adaptors
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 11:26 am »
Just to make sure, you're talking a female XLR connection to male 1/4 or 1/8 jack correct?

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 01:20 pm »
Right, the tail of my comm is female.

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 09:12 am »
I checked with all my vendors to see if I could point you in the correct direction, but by golly if I can't find someone who does that. 4 Pin is not a popular configuration for cable makers, and going down to 1/4 or 1/8 from there is apparently even more uncommon.

Now that being said, I did find this place: http://apuresound.com/cables.html and they have exactly what you're looking for it's just....like...$100...so that's the buying option.

I'm pretty sure you'd be able to build it for far less, but I'm not sure how the 4 pin down to the audio adapters works.

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 09:57 am »
Your best bet would likely be to buy a 4-pin XLR connector, 1/8" and/or 1/4" TRS plug, and some cable and have someone knowledgeable with your requirements terminate the connectors in the desired configuration. 

Be careful though, if the parts you're looking for aren't sold by anyone it usually means the equipment isn't intended to function in that method.  That's not to say it won't work, but be careful with kludge type solutions! 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 03:32 pm »
It's not that it's not intended for that use....it just means that no one stocks them because it's such a rare application. You should be fine so long as you do know how to wire an XLR connector.

The 4 Pin XLR/DMX is what throws the wrench in the works. I found 5 Pin to 1/4 and 1/8. I found 3 Pin to 1/4 and 1/8. But by goodness golly that elusive 4 Pin would not be captured.

riotous