Author Topic: Bullet Journal  (Read 3444 times)

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Bullet Journal
« on: Aug 20, 2013, 09:06 am »
This morning I stumbled across the Bullet Journal, a journal system for good ol' fashioned analog pen and paper.  There's a video introduction here, and Bullet Journal's website is found here.  I'm giving this a shot for the remainder of August - looks simple, effective, and efficient.

Has anyone else tried this method?

How do you stay organized?  Especially interested to hear from the analog folks out there!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Bullet Journal
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2013, 02:32 pm »
I do something like this, but I separate calendar and to do. I color code my calendar and my to do list with the same colors: one for grad school, one for freelance work, one for networking, etc. Events go in the calendar and to do items and notes go in a spiral notebook. I recopy the to do list once too much is done for me to read clearly - about every three days.

I don't use checkboxes. Instead I indicate who or what needs to be involved in the to do item. examples:
If it's something that's all me it will say "B-pull old report notes"
If it's reading it says "Read-ACLU 1-4, 270-277"
If I need a person it's "Greg-email about publication"
When it's done, it just gets a single line through it, so I can still see what I've accomplished if needed.

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2013, 02:43 pm »
I kind of already do a system similar to this, honing it to fit my needs over a long few years transitioning from a paper planner.

All calendar related events that have been scheduled go directly into my google cal, which I peruse every morning over coffee and emails. Show, networking, and personal tasks or notes are all in one notebook (my favorite being the spiral bound recycled material ones from staples.) with different pages for Work/Show, networking, and personal. Once a day I go through and highlight completed tasks, circle or create check boxes for things that haven't been done that need to, or cross it out if it's no longer relevant. Sometimes I use stars or exclamation points to really catch my attention on a specific task.

About once a week the lists become more highlighted and checks than anything else, before the top of the next week I transfer over unfinished tasks to clean sheets and trash the old.

Ongoing lists like books to read, movies to watch, TV shows to binge on, I keep a few pages in the back for that info. I also have taken to carrying around the measurements for my apartment so when I'm out and about I can know if dimensions of something are going to work in my place.

Some people thing it's funny I keep such a long form note book, but it is one analog setup I don't think I'd ever be able to get rid of.
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

John Zachary Wells

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Cincinnati Conservatory of Music, Aurora Community Theater
  • Current Gig: Revue Review, Cincinnati Conservatory of Music
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2013, 03:01 pm »
The Bullet System feels a little to disjointed to me. It's great in practice for small matters but as things get more complex and information constantly changes and shift I feel like it wouldn't provide enough information. I may have to try it and see how it works in practice.

KMC, How did it go? Did the system work for you?
Fortune Favors the Bold