Author Topic: Books about presenting houses  (Read 2392 times)

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
  • Experience: Professional
Books about presenting houses
« on: Nov 18, 2010, 08:00 pm »
So I recently started a full time gig at a presenting house as an asm and I'm looking to start learning a bit more about how tours function. Up to this point, most of my work has been in producing house theatre, so I'm trying to get up to speed. Can anyone recommend a book about presenting tours? I have a great one about production managing that doesn't quite delve deep enough. I'm especially looking to learn about advancing a show. Thanks!

cprted

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Books about presenting houses
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2010, 09:24 pm »
I was a TD at a roadhouse that presented about 1/3  of our performances.  From the technical end, the first thing you need is a rider from the technical contact.  Once you have the rider, start going through and make a list of all the issues and things to negotiate.  You can take care of many professional tours with one email and a followup call.  Then of course you're on to booking crew, possibly renting gear etc.

I haven't had anything to do with the hospitality end of things, but if you have any technical advancing questions, feel free to post them or fire them my way in a PM.

Cheers.

Ted

riotous