Author Topic: Arc Customizable Notebooks  (Read 10694 times)

Thespi620

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Arc Customizable Notebooks
« on: Jun 20, 2011, 03:25 pm »
Hey all--
I was at Staples today to pick up a new notebook, and was incredibly excited to see these notebooks and their accessories sitting next to my typical standbys:

http://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/marketing/arc/index.html

It's a new brand of notebook that uses disks rather than spiral bindings, and you can purchase all sorts of types of paper (to do lists, graph paper, project progress sheets, etc) as well as dividers and pockets, to customize the notebook to suit your project. There's even an insert with post-it flags of varying colors and sizes! While I can't see this holding a script just yet, it could be a really convenient way to organize all the other papers/to-do lists, etc, in one place based solely on your own preferences.

Check them out!

[The SM is] a very gifted, slightly eccentric master mechanic [keeping] a cantankerous, highly complex machine running at top efficiency by talking to it, soothing it, & lovingly fixing whatever is broken. 
-J. Michael Gillette

lsears

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, Boston University
Re: Arc Customizable Notebooks
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2011, 11:08 am »
This is similar to the Circa system available in a few cities and works really well for things that you would usually take to get spiral bound.

I had always hated the idea of making a log book for shows because of the lack of flexibility in moving things, or adding things, but the ring system is a good cross between a bound notebook and a binder.  The Circa system sells the punch so that you can make your own templates and punch them, as well as any other odds and ends you need to add to your book.  I'm sure the staples system will soon release their own punch if they haven't already.

catalinacisne

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2011, 04:03 pm »
The Circa system is also available through Levenger:
http://www.levenger.com/pagetemplates/navigation/products.asp?params=category=326|level=2

theatregeek89

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2011, 05:43 pm »
This is pretty awesome. I have been searching for a planner that would keep up with my hectic schedule. I also do not think it can fit a script as of yet, but it will definitely keep track of everything else very nicely. My favorite part is that you can refill it and design it the way that you want it. That's exactly what I am looking for! It's also a plus that I work at staples as well as do theatre.

cbergman

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2011, 10:16 am »
Has anyone used this yet for a script??

Every time I go into Staples, I think about doing it, but I'm not quite sure yet if I am ready to commit. The Arc puncher itself is $30, and the notebook is $10 so it's at least a $40 investment to begin with...

Also, can anyone speak to using the Circa system over Arc or vice versa?

Thespi620

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2011, 11:10 am »
The major problem I found when using the Arc is that because the pages aren't secured by anything permanent, the edges were apt to fray & fold, so pages would fall out if I had wrapped the front cover around to the back too many times. That's my main concern as far as using it for a script, if you ever need to be mobile while holding the script open to a certain page, things may not stay put.

[The SM is] a very gifted, slightly eccentric master mechanic [keeping] a cantankerous, highly complex machine running at top efficiency by talking to it, soothing it, & lovingly fixing whatever is broken. 
-J. Michael Gillette

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2011, 04:16 pm »
So the idea is that you buy the special punch, and then you can insert any regular paper into the notebook? Or do you need to purchase special paper as well?

cbergman

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2011, 08:15 pm »
You CAN buy a special punchy thing, or you can buy the pre-punched paper, dividers, etc.

lsears

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, Boston University
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:54 am »
The Staples system has driven down the price of the Circa system, and has pushed them to introduce more bells and whistles (covers, dividers, folders, all kinds of stuff I don't need). 

I've never used the system for a script, but as long as I keep a cover on my books I've never had issues with the edges fraying, even the ones at 100 pages that get flipped through constantly.  There are drawbacks - you can only punch a few pages at once, and the pages don't feed through older copy machines very well.

John Zachary Wells

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Cincinnati Conservatory of Music, Aurora Community Theater
  • Current Gig: Revue Review, Cincinnati Conservatory of Music
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2012, 09:34 pm »
I personally love the arc notebooks. Buying the special hole punch really makes it worth it. You can then design your own calenders and assignment calenders and have them put in a nice notebook.
Fortune Favors the Bold

juliec

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Current Gig: Bonjour M. Gauguin (US Premiere)
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2012, 12:51 pm »
Maybe I don't understand (but I've never needed spiral-binding).  Cool-factor aside, does this have much more utility than a regular three-ring binder and using a normal (and cheaper) hole punch to customize your organization?

I'm kind of loving my new mini-3-ring DIY binder/organizer at the moment...  Super durable, flexible, wide range of accessories.  I keep a pencil, pen, highlighter, reinforcements, divider flags, and post-its in a binder pocket.  I still use card stock (index cards) for dividers...  I can move around pages at will and purchase pre-templated pages or make my own.  I can purchase a day timer (or knock off) agenda or print my own pages...  Lays flat, hard writing surface.

How much better is an Arc?  It seems like it would take longer to assemble an Arc, although perhaps it is more fun pushing the pages into place than opening binder rings...

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2013, 12:23 pm »
I agree. The Circa system seems to have a cult-like following. I never needed an organizer, and so I don't understand why they are awesome. Can someone explain?

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2013, 01:11 pm »
The director I just finished working with used one. I was impressed, actually. The pages stayed in well, and they were super quick to take out and put back in, especially on the go (I always find it the MOST difficult to handle a binder while walking around, especially if I need to remove something). Personally, I'm not a convert, but I was impressed.