Author Topic: any suggestions for the "rain effect"?  (Read 5121 times)

pilya29

• New to Town
  • soar high
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: TP,UPTC,DUP,CCP,SBCS,MAGIS
  • Current Gig: working with students as an educator, both for the theater and the language
  • Experience: Professional
any suggestions for the "rain effect"?
« on: Oct 30, 2007, 02:38 pm »
Hi...In the current play that we're doing, we need to have a "rain effect". What we did before was, we used a pvc pipe with holes in it and connected it to the nearest water source and we also put a gutter at the sides of the stage where the water will fall to directly lead the water out of the theater building. Now that we're touring it, using the same device would be impractical.

What i had in mind is to use a clear cellophane and cut it into fine pieces and put it in a confetti cradle. once it falls from the cradle and sidelights hit it, it will produce a crystal effect from afar. My director is challenging me to think of other options. Are there any ways to do a rain effect that's applicable for touring productions? Thank u very very much. ;)

--mod note: Edited for readability - colours are pretty and all, but they make reading posts difficult - they are best used for emphasis on points, not entire posts.
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2007, 08:56 pm by Mac Calder »
tuff woman :)

sourc3

• Contributor
  • Resident Master of The Universe
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Still workin' on it
Re: any suggestions for the "rain effect"?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2007, 03:12 pm »
I feel like the confetti wouldn't be very convincing because it wouldn't fall very quickly.

Depending on how long of a PVC pipe you need, could you rig something up like this where there is a clear (plexiglass?) pipe that supports the upper pipe with a pump below to pump the water back up. It would be reltavely transportable I would think (4 longish pieces and a pump or two) and could be filled up with buckets once and left to run. I've never toured a show before, and it might take some setup, but I feel like setup/takedown could be simple, except for what to do with the water once you're done with it... i.e. how to drain it easily.

Just my $0.02
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2007, 03:14 pm by sourc3 »
-David

sailor_sam

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2007, 10:38 pm »
Have you though about using gobos with a slider/rotator on a cyc? 
But this may turn out more like an  underwater effect depending on how it is done.

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2007, 11:43 am »
But this may turn out more like an  underwater effect depending on how it is done.

I've also seen some decent rain effects using lighting -- I think movers likes on of the Martin's or Studio Spots as I recall...This would have been my suggestion also, though I was assuming using lighting for the effect, whcih would probably be the most effecient solution in terms of touring, had been considered and rejected (though p'raps not.)

LisaEllis

« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2007, 01:32 pm »
The last storm sequence I did used Martins and got a good driving rain effect...

Although if you need to have much face light (like a long scene), it will probably wash out any lighting effect you try.

smalltimeSM

• New to Town
  • "Yea Komakozie Theatre!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2007, 08:06 pm »

If you go this route go with gam film loops.  you get a falling rain effect that isn't a rotator.  Other wise I would try a small mylar confetti type of effect.  It will SUCK to sweep that up.

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2007, 09:06 am »
Depending on your tour budget and the spaces you're going into, you might consider using a projector. SmallTimeSM seemed to be coming close to this suggestion with GAM film loops. I have been seeing rain projections used more and more these days, and it works out well. Depending on how large the space is, you may need a sound effect to match. If you use real water, be ready to deal with the safety hazards, especially on a tour. The last show where we used water had at least 1 injury report per night, no matter how carefully we kept it under control.