Author Topic: Android Phone Apps  (Read 12454 times)

jbode0781

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Android Phone Apps
« on: Nov 02, 2010, 08:33 pm »
Since this topic hasn't been discussed recently, and the smart phone market has grown considerably over the last two years, I have a few questions for the group.

I'm having a hard time choosing between a T-Mobile Samsung Vibrant (which runs Android), and the iPhone.  I am leaning towards the Vibrant, purely because of month to month costs, and that it will automatically sync with igoogle and gmail.  However, I know the android market is smaller than the apple app store, so I was just curious, has anyone found good SM apps for Android?  Any other opinions on which phone is better for a part time SM, full time film UPM?

Thanks!

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Android Phone Apps
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2010, 12:15 pm »
The Android Market is smaller than the App Store, but it's only because App Store has been around longer. Slowly but surely, developers are coming bringing their products to the Marketplace. So to be honest, there isn't much left (app wise) that gives the iPhone the advantage.

The apps I use most for stage managing (timers, stop watches, time calculators) are all available on the Marketplace, and sometimes are free where a comparable app on the iPhone might cost you something. There isn't the specific SM app like on the iPhone, but from what I've heard (through this forum) it's not worth the $5 anyway.

There are some droid specific apps that I find to be useful though. Where's My Droid is a great free app that is very helpful in tech. How many times have you been running around and left your phone behind and forgot where it was but because you are a good SM you have it on silent. All you have to do is text your phone a key phrase (like "ZOMG! PHONE ARE GONE!) and the app will turn your volume to high, and ring until you find it. Just make sure you don't tell anyone the phrase when telling them how cool the program is. They might text you during a show with the phrase and make you freak out...I also use Google Translate App a lot. I know you can use that on the web, but having it in app form is just so much more rewarding.

And there is the obvious advantage of your phone communicating with your gmail account for free vs. paying for the mobileme account to do the same basic things.

If it really comes down to your month to month costs, and you don't feel the iPhone is worth it you won't be missing much by switching to Android.

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2010, 10:55 am »
I am a Verizon user and recently converted from a blackberry to the Droid X and I love it.  I am a mac user and we're all fine and happy together.  I am done waiting for Verizon to get the iPhone, because the Droid does exactly what I need.  Now, it is a google platform, so if you don't use google or don't have gmail it will be slightly more difficult for you but it still works. 

It syncs up automatically with my gmail account, any google calendars, saves my contacts, etc.  Unfortunately, I have been so busy I haven't had time to convert from my old Palm Desktop (yes, I am an old Palm user!) so I still have to refer to that desktop calendar and address book sometimes, but my dad recently went through the same conversion and said he had a relatively easy time of it.  I'm looking forward to getting everything running on one device.

It's really user friendly and lovely and, although slightly bigger than the iphone is actually much more lightweight.

My plan is technically an old Alltel plan (I was on Alltel when the merger happened and haven't wanted to change my plan because it's so great). 

Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

ericjames

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2010, 11:52 pm »
I switched from Blackberry to the Verizon Droid X at the end of the summer.   I have been waiting for the iphone to come to Verizon for a long time, but like BalletPSM, I got sick of waiting.   

The droid marketplace has a large number of apps that are available, both for free and for small fees.   Some are useful for SM, others are just plain fun to have.  (I have fallen in love with "Useless Facts" just for the fun worthless info that it provides ;)  )     At any rate, I already have gmail and so it was easy to make all of my email and such work well together.    The app Marketplace grows everyday and so I suspect that within a few years, it will probably come very close to rivaling the iphone app store.

All of that being said, ultimately, it comes down to what you like.  While there are a lot of similarities between the Android phones and the iphone, there are also a lot of differences so you just need to play with both and figure out what you like.  There other thing to keep in mind is that there is only 1 iphone (okay... 4...  the original, the 3g, the 3gs and now the 4 - but they are all basically the same software, just with more advanced features, and all made/distributed by Apple) however, Android is just an operating system and there are  A LOT of different manufacturers making phones that use that operating systems and some of them work much better than others.

My suggestion is do your research and then try it out!
Good luck!

DoItYourself090

• New to Town
  • Sometimes writers have to do it themselves
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Henry V, TWF Productions. I Remember, TWF Productions.
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2010, 01:07 pm »
Surely this all depends on what you want the App to do.

I've seen SM's use everything from paper and pen (very little to go wrong) to specially built software packages.

Surely the biggest problem with using a mobile (cell) phone is that if the XLR cable's aren't protected properly any calls, message or other cell communication could trigger that awful sound through your house speakers. (of course that's what flight mode is for I guess)

***Edit made to correct terminology (DMX/XLR)***
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2010, 12:16 pm by DoItYourself090 »

ericjames

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2010, 11:32 pm »
Surely the biggest problem with using a mobile (cell) phone is that if the DMX cable's aren't protected properly any calls, message or other cell communication could trigger that awful sound through your house speakers. (of course that's what flight mode is for I guess)

Just to clarify so no one gets confused about inaccurate information.   DMX is a control cable for lighting.    The sound cables that I believe you are mentioning are XLR.   You make a good point though, cell phones can definitely affect sound systems and also the clearcom systems in most theatres.

Megan

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Chamber Theatre Productions
  • Current Gig: Spring '11 Encore! Tour
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2010, 01:17 am »
This is probably a little late, but I'd like to put in a vote for Android. I have the Droid (just the original version but with Froyo 2.2 on it) on the Verizon network and really love it.

My favorite apps are the Navigation (turn-by-turn driving directions while on tour in a new city = awesome) and the MotoTorchLED (turns the camera flash into a flashlight and/or strobe light). Ultrachron Lite is also a pretty great multi-track stop watch.
Ne utiquam erros.

Trak26

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2011, 08:43 pm »
I have a HTC Desire and really like the phone but being in Oz we tend to be a little behind on the latest phone releases.
The best apps I have found so far are:
Open Advanced Task Killer - its free and it allows you to easily turn off any programs running in the background allowing you to save on battery life.
Jorte - its a free personal organiser and you can sync to Google calendars.
Colour Note - again free and allows me to type in quick reminders to do things
Kindle for Android - allows me to read books anytime and I have downloaded the odd script onto it.
For fun I have Angry Birds, Unblock Me and Chess.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2011, 08:46 pm by Trak26 »
“Perhaps, therefore, ideal stage managers not only need to be calm and meticulous professionals who know their craft, but masochists who feel pride in rising above impossible odds.”

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2011, 11:04 pm »
Open Advanced Task Killer - its free and it allows you to easily turn off any programs running in the background allowing you to save on battery life.

Depends on which version of the Android OS you run. I've got v2.3.340 and Task Killer doesn't work like it did before. Things continually turn themselves on despite being killed before I lock my phone. I've been told by Verizon that the new operating system side steps app killers pretty effectively though I don't understand why.

Megan

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Chamber Theatre Productions
  • Current Gig: Spring '11 Encore! Tour
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2011, 05:45 pm »

Depends on which version of the Android OS you run. I've got v2.3.340 and Task Killer doesn't work like it did before. Things continually turn themselves on despite being killed before I lock my phone. I've been told by Verizon that the new operating system side steps app killers pretty effectively though I don't understand why.

Agreed. I'm running 2.2.1 (kernel version 2.6.32.9-g68eeef5) and every time I open Task Killer there're tons of programs chowing down on my battery power. Even consecutive "killings" don't keep programs from reopening.
Ne utiquam erros.

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2013, 03:55 pm »
Phones with Android operating systems have made leaps and bounds since the last post on this topic in 2011.  With the introduction of Google Play, the Android app market has grown significantly.

While I don't have an Android myself, I've noticed many of my friends and colleagues shedding their Blackberries and iDevices for the greater freedom, flexibility, and potentially lower cost of the Android world.  Have you done so?  What apps have you found to be the most useful?
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2013, 07:47 pm »
I now have both an Android phone and tablet. Here are some that I've found to be helpful:

Evernote - obviously.
Zite - you give it a topic, it serves up a magazine of blog entries about that topic, or builds a zine based on your Google Reader feeds.
SeeClickFix - If your city uses Open311 to report non-emergency service issues (graffiti, potholes, broken streetlights, etc.) you can use SCF to report problems, geocode and with photos.
Airdroid - Turns your phone into a mini webserver so you can browse to it from your desktop, pass stuff from clipboard to clipboard, and send files... among other things. I use it so I can send SMS from my desktop.
CamCard Free - scan business cards with OCR
Sleepbot Tracker - I have trouble staying on a consistent wake/sleep schedule. This lets me chart when I've slept and what sort of sleep debt I'm racking up.
ScanToPDF - turns phone photos into PDFs. I use it for taking photos of contracts in the field. I'm guessing you guys could use it for sending snapshots of, say, sign in sheets from the call board to a cloud server quickly.

bkrst275

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Gig: Opera
Android app suggestions
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2014, 02:27 pm »
On this topic, what do you guys think are the necessities on Android? I never leave home without my Galaxy S3, I use it for just about everything from keeping in touch, to killing time, to keeping my schedule/tasks organized.... What apps should I look into?

KMC

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
Re: Android app suggestions
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2014, 09:01 pm »
On this topic, what do you guys think are the necessities on Android? I never leave home without my Galaxy S3, I use it for just about everything from keeping in touch, to killing time, to keeping my schedule/tasks organized.... What apps should I look into?

This is much like asking "how long is a piece of string?"  Is there anything specifically you're looking to do on your phone or any specific categories of apps (e.g. Productivity, organization, entertainment) you're looking for?
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

bkrst275

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Gig: Opera
Re: Android app suggestions
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2014, 01:27 am »

This is much like asking "how long is a piece of string?"  Is there anything specifically you're looking to do on your phone or any specific categories of apps (e.g. Productivity, organization, entertainment) you're looking for?

Sorry, I suppose this does require clarification. What do you use to keep organized, help find info quickly, or just stay entertained when there's nothing better to do? Since this thread hasn't been updated in almost a year, I'm sure there are some good new apps available. I should note that my original post was on a thread about iPhone before being moved here, since I had no idea this thread existed until 5 minutes ago, so thanks to whoever moved it!
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2014, 01:31 am by bkrst275 »

riotous