Author Topic: [FAQ] What goes inside a SM Kit?  (Read 219646 times)

ESM_John

What goes inside a SM Kit?
« Reply #15 on: Mar 27, 2006, 07:39 am »
On a side note: make sure to remember what you had in your kit, actors seem to love to just steal hair clips, chap stick, and a hot one is throat losenges :)

samthestagemanager

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://
replacing things
« Reply #16 on: Apr 24, 2006, 12:02 pm »
i agree about remembering what was in your kit. you will just hand out stuff to actors and then you realize one day that you are suddently out of pencils/ bobby pins, ect.!

KFullerton

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 02:49 pm »
I don't really work with a kit either. I had one that was pretty much a glorified first aid kid that I kept on me while I was doing MacB b/c of the fight scenes and the fact that we were dealing with 40+ weapons and clumsy actors.

But, For the whole runs of the other shows I've done I have a kit...it just stays in my car and is in desperate need to refilling. But since I'm in school we have a decent first aid kit that I just pull out when I need it. The only things I have in mine that's different are those ice packs that you step on to bust and they stay cold for forever, and I kept a stash of claritin this spring b/c I had an actress with horrific allergies. I keep medication in a little tiny fishing lure box (it's like 4x4) and it says on it "Meds, ask first!" and I keep it in my purse during rehearsal b/c Kristin the stage manager isn't allowed to dole out medication, but come find Kristin, your friend, and she'll give you what you need.

I just don't see the point in lugging around this huge ass box of crap when you hardly ever need it. A pencil box with my office supplies and my 2 notebooks (one for paper work, one for rehearsal script) and my laptop suffice just fine :)

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
kit
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 09:20 am »
I do still bring my little tackle box of supplies with me. The larger theatres I work with these days supply everything - including SM road crates to haul it around. But, inevitably, my little kit will save the day at least once throughout a show. It's stocked with all the little things that you might not think of when placing an order for spike tape. When an actress simply can't focus because she wants her hair tied back, I can provide a hair band; When I am issued keys, I have my own little rubber sleeves to make them identifiable; I carry a deck of cards - great for a prop in a pinch, or for quiet entertainment during a dinner break; Unflavored dental floss is amazingly useful for pseudo-string, but also of course for removing lunch from your teeth (guess what - you can slice a cake with it, too! So when an actor brings a cake treat but forgets a knife, bust out a big piece of floss and save the day!). My kit also has your basic stuff: pens, pencils, markers, pre-cut glow tape (in a film canister), a hex wrench set, post-its, and much much more (including a mini sewing kit and first aid kit in leftover altoid tins). But it's my little extras that have made more than one person say that I simply have everything you could ever need, whenever you might need it, in that thoughtful little kit of mine.

killerdana

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jun 02, 2006, 02:47 am »
For regular days I don't carry an official "kit."  My bag is always stocked with pencils, eraser, bandaids, throat lozenges, pens, notebook, mag light--but so is the purse I carry every day.  What I've found useful for performance (and especially the pre-performance craziness) is that I wear a makeup artists apron.  This snaps around my waist and has an amazing number of small pockets where I stash hairbands and bobby pins, band aids, safety pins, mints, throat strips, hair brush, sharpies, flashlight, powder,etc.  I started using it when I was running the backstage on a show, and it's been invaluable.  Now, when actors need some small thing I don't even have to walk over to my kit, just grab whatever off my waist.
Science without art is sterile.  --Albert Einstein

Didaskalos

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: What goes inside a SM Kit?
« Reply #20 on: Jul 04, 2006, 11:58 pm »
SM kit shopping checklist attached. 

I culled this together from various lists in SM books as well as good suggestions from this site.  in Word format.
Do it right the first time;  do it right every time.

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #21 on: Jul 05, 2006, 10:01 am »
That is quite a list you have compiled Didaskalos.  Thanks for posting it!  I think my favorite item on the list would have to be self-amusement toys (I have a mini Etch-a-sketch and bubbles in mine)!

dramaqueenja

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 02, 2006, 10:49 am »
For a brand new stage manager, no experience, and a tight budget... what are the bare necessities to have in a kit?

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #23 on: Nov 02, 2006, 10:40 pm »
For a brand new stage manager, no experience, and a tight budget... what are the bare necessities to have in a kit?

I'm sure this has been discussed before, and others will have other ideas, but I'd say a BASIC first aid kit (at least whatever you'd take while camping - things for boo-boos and pains), a supply of pencils (for yourself and your cast), and whatever simple office supplies you might think are needed (stapler, post-its, paperclips).

Erin

MeganTrigg

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-sunset.com/
  • Affiliations: SMA, EMC
« Reply #24 on: Nov 03, 2006, 02:58 pm »
I see so many comments about people spending a ton of money on their kit, and I have to say that always baffles me slightly. I mean, I know what the paychecks I take home look like, and I can't afford to go dropping a ton of money on my kit. However, I don't like the idea of not being well supplied either. My solution? Free stuff.

Seriously, how many times do you get free samples of things? Every free sample I get goes into my kit. If I need something, I go out to product manufacturer's websites and order free samples. Last time I was at my dentist, he gave me a whole bagful with every sample they've got of toothbrushes, travel sized toothpastes, dental floss in handy travel containers, a couple things of mouthwash, etc etc. When I tell people what it is I want the free stuff for, people get really excited and want to help out. I don't think I could tell you when the last time I actually bought something for my kit was.

Honestly, though, think about it from a manufacturer's perspective. When they give free samples, the idea is so that you can try the product, fall in love, and switch. How much better does it get than if you tell them, "I can put your product in the hands of ten, fifteen actors in the next month, and all it will cost you is a trial-sized version of your product. Don't want to give me free things? That's fine. How about coupons or other discounted offers? After all, in a sense, I'm doing advertising for you..."

Speaking of, I need to go cruise toiletry websites again. I'm low on sample-sized deodorants...

Edit: I did think of a couple things where I will go buy supplies. Obviously, the hand tools I've got and the first aid supplies I can't get for free are ones I've purchased, but anything consumable I try to get for free. I'm working on ways to get the first aid supplies at no cost, though. If I could do that, I would probably not have to buy new stuff ever, unless it goes missing.
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2006, 03:01 pm by MeganTrigg »

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
« Reply #25 on: Nov 04, 2006, 11:57 pm »
I see so many comments about people spending a ton of money on their kit, and I have to say that always baffles me slightly. I mean, I know what the paychecks I take home look like, and I can't afford to go dropping a ton of money on my kit. However, I don't like the idea of not being well supplied either. My solution? Free stuff.

In stocking my kit, I've also found that the $1 and discount stores are your best friend. Some dollar stores have quick nice office supply aisles. 

Mac Calder

• Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #26 on: Nov 05, 2006, 12:20 am »
Before people go out looking at buying kit stock - just look around the house - That is how I started.

As a general rule, you don't need a whole packet of sewing needles - so take 2 or three from your sewing kit and put them in a match box. You also don't need a full range of thread - a black and a white are usually fine. If you have a set of screwdrivers, take one straight, and one Phillips head out. Take a few band-aids out of your medicine cabinet, some cotton wool balls etc.  You can build a fairly comprehensive kit for a beginner just from stuff lying around the house.

As time goes on, you just start accumulating things as you need them.

All those people who put aside $200 or something for their kit will probably find that they don't use half of it.

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #27 on: Nov 05, 2006, 09:42 am »
It's not completely a Kit thing but:

Usually if you email Riccola (the cough drop people) and tell them who you are and what you do, they will send you a TON (ie tubs and tubs) of free cough drops.

A big baggie goes right in the kit, and the rest go backstage. You know...for the actors to suck on for 2.5 seconds and then leave on every toggle on every flat they can find... ::)

But seriously, I know a lot of theatre that do it.
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #28 on: Nov 12, 2006, 12:15 am »
FYI, there is a line in your profile where you can list your kit contents if you so choose.  It only shows up when someone views your profile page, but can be useful for comparing and contrasting contents.

Hermie

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Dec 10, 2006, 11:31 pm »
What is the Tennis Ball for?

just curious :)
Act well your part; there all the honor lies.  ~Alexander Pope