Author Topic: What Colleges (Don't) Say About AEA?  (Read 10407 times)

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: What Colleges (Don't) Say About AEA?
« Reply #15 on: Aug 23, 2006, 10:25 am »
I went to undergrad in Illinois and took multiple stage management courses that were created by interested students and our amazing professor.  She did a wonderful job of addressing the AEA issue.  While we did not go too in depth about the particulars of joining, we did learn about the union and some of the various union contracts which has been quite helpful.

So, many of the stage managment students interested in joining AEA had some idea of what to do and how to go about it.  The acting students I do not believe had some of those same benefits as AEA was mostly discussed in my advanced stage management class.  But the professor is a member of Equity and always has her door open to students from any department for questions, etc.
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

SMJorge

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #16 on: Aug 24, 2006, 04:50 pm »
I did my undergrad in Arizona and never heard Equity being mentioned until my final semester. Our PM, who taught the very small SM class spent a week covering all of the unions in the 4As and the pros and cons of working union, etc. Even then, it was only a few of us that were able to take the class. I also saw the John Holly give the powerpoint presentation at our school. It was very informative and a great powerpoint. Unfortunately there were not many people in attendance...

Candy0081

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: National Tour
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #17 on: Oct 08, 2006, 11:31 pm »
I am currently a graduate student at the Hilberry Theatre (Wayne State University) and Amy Dolan came in last year and gave her power point presentation.  All of the stage management students were there, but only about 40% of the acting students attended.  The fault doesn't just lie in the universities, but in the people who need the knowledge, or don't realize that they will need the knowledge.

Candy