Author Topic: venue battle with local IATSE  (Read 3420 times)

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
venue battle with local IATSE
« on: Mar 01, 2006, 03:07 pm »
Greetings,

I just started work full-time at an IATSE roadhouse [in a non-union postion].  One of the first things that I've noticed is that there seems to be a on-going fued between the venue and the local union, one which I don't quite understand, but I also don't have the full history on yet.  While I am working on being nuetral - until I have the sides figured out, I am in the position of hearing each side bitch about the other side.  Part of my job is being the venue contact for the local BA.  They're going to be in contract negotiations at the end of the year and its going to be ugly.  Does anyone have any experience with fueds between houses and their unions?  Any recommendations or bits of advice?  

One of the things being threatened is putting the union out of the venue; does anyone know of a case where this happened?  And what the venue did for crew afterwards?

At a loss and in the middle,
-Centaura

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
labor disputes
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2006, 02:25 pm »
remember, inherently there is always some tension between labor and management - always.  (Okay, maybe it some places it is much more low key, but almost everyplace there is some sort of tension.)

It's best to listen to both sides and remember to take each with a grain of salt.  You can also take the educational point of view of trying to see the different points of view and try to see the truth.

Yes, places can end their contract with IATSE - it's a not a nice situation.  And then it would be a non-union crew who would fill their places.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
observation
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2006, 07:57 pm »
Thanks for the words of wisdom.  So far I've been listening to both sides, and keeping my opinions to myself.  After so many years of mediating actor disputes, I almost can't form an opinion without hearing the other side.  And so far, both sides have correct points, both sides have incorrect points, and both sides have ingrained prejudices against the other which are growing beyond logic.  Anyway, no one said life would be boring, I just hope I can keep my neutrality as long as I can.

-Centaura