Author Topic: Too Soon to be equity?  (Read 3189 times)

Msumatt06

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Too Soon to be equity?
« on: Jan 24, 2008, 03:47 pm »
Hey Everyone,

I was approached about stage managing this summer (I grad with my masters in May) but in order to do so, I would have to become equity. My plan is to move to NY in the fall and start working there so I know I will have to be equity at some point. Would it be a bad idea for me to already be equity? What do you all think?

Thanks!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Too Soon to be equity?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2008, 06:15 pm »
The choice about going Equity or not is really a business decision on your end.  Once you go Equity, there are options that will be shut off to you, but there will be options that are opened up to you.  Going to New York with your Equity Card in hand may not be such a bad option, as getting your card in NYC can be a challenge.

Just know that once you get your card, you are competing for jobs with everyone else who has a card (from Broadway SMs to those with SPT experience) - so you just have to think about where you are going to fit into the job market and have a good plan to market yourself.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

riotous