Author Topic: Theatres That Have Closed--Can You Say "Emergency?"  (Read 83404 times)

Candy0081

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: National Tour
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Theatres That Have Closed--Can You Say "Emergency?"
« Reply #60 on: Jul 25, 2011, 12:39 am »
This is so sad!  I played there for a week last fall, its a beautiful theatre!

Celeste_SM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Aug 11, 2011, 10:43 pm »
The Jewish Theater of San Francisco is closing:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=%2Fc%2Fa%2F2011%2F08%2F11%2FDDBG1KKTS5.DTL

and Ballet San Jose is postponing their season (no ballet before the Nutcracker this year):
http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_18618060

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #62 on: Aug 12, 2011, 03:36 am »

and Ballet San Jose is postponing their season (no ballet before the Nutcracker this year):

Ugh. Yes, it is official. We are opening with Nutcracker. Boy, I never thought I'd see my company on this thread.

crazychicksj

« Reply #64 on: Aug 15, 2011, 04:45 pm »
Maybe some good news?

Pleasanton, CA opened the Firehouse Theatre as a venue this past year. It's a beautiful space too, I hope they get some good shows in there while it's still awesome.

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #65 on: Aug 15, 2011, 11:26 pm »
Thanks for the positive vibes on this thread...
Ordo ab chao

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #66 on: Aug 16, 2011, 07:30 pm »

Ugh. Yes, it is official. We are opening with Nutcracker. Boy, I never thought I'd see my company on this thread.

Sorry to hear that. Just out of curiosity, is it still the same Nutcracker that they used to do when they were the Cleveland/San Jose Ballet, or did they ditch that one when they left Cleveland for good (back around 2001 or 2002 if I remember correctly). I grew up seeing that production, alternating years between Nutcracker and A Christmas Carol next door at Great Lakes (which I later went on to work on for four years straight).

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #67 on: Aug 17, 2011, 01:23 am »
babens: Yes, it is still the same one, as we still have the same Founding/Artistic Director. The only thing that may be different is depending on when you saw the show - the designs of the set have changed throughout the years (though it's been the same set & costumes since I joined in 2003). Also, the company women are no longer the mice - it's all children from our ballet school.

Otherwise yes, still Dennis Nahat's The Nutcracker (circa 1979).

And they left in 2000...

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #68 on: Sep 01, 2011, 04:47 am »
http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_18783708

CLO South Bay Cities is being forced out of their home, and while their language claims they are not closed, well, until we see a venue I will assume otherwise.....

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
« Reply #69 on: Sep 13, 2011, 09:44 pm »
Georgia Shakespeare is in trouble...

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
Theatres That Have Closed--Can You Say "Emergency?"
« Reply #70 on: Sep 20, 2011, 11:27 pm »
Denver's Vintage Theater is being vacated to make room for a local brewery to expand -

http://www.denverpost.com/theater/ci_18905061

lsears

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, Boston University
Re: Theatres That Have Closed--Can You Say \"Emergency?\"
« Reply #71 on: Jan 04, 2012, 04:03 pm »
Opera Boston is closing.  They announced it just before Christmas - canceling their two spring shows.  This is Boston's second largest opera company and is non-union, the ripples are being felt throughout the city - they rent their rehearsal space from one company, rent a different theater, sets and costumes are built in town and since they are non-union they employ quite a few local freelancers.

Statement from their website: http://www.operaboston.org/news_closure.php
January 3, 2012

We are touched by the outpouring of feeling regarding our decision to close the company, announced on December 23, 2011. All the expressions we’ve seen – sympathy, anger, concern and sadness – speak to the company’s place in the heart of Boston’s arts and the world’s opera communities. We are grateful for the extensive media coverage of the closing, as well as the years of coverage of the company’s artistic innovation. As we have said before, ours was not an easy decision to make, but we feel strongly that it was the right one, and want to correct a number of mischaracterizations in media coverage of the closing, and clarify our position.

The board voted unanimously to cease operations on December 20, 2011, to avoid compounding a deficit situation that had grown dire. Nine of the 11 members were present for the vote.

Like many small arts organizations, Opera Boston has always operated on a tight budget. During the many years of innovative and critically acclaimed programming, the company tried to balance its budget annually. Some years there were small deficits, and some years there were small surpluses. In the fiscal year 2011, ending July 31, the company had its largest deficit ever, in excess of $225,000. This was the result of several factors converging at once: a tough economy; weak individual ticket sales; diminishing individual, foundation and corporate support; growing overhead and rising production costs.

This set the stage for the very serious financial situation that faced the board in December. At this point, we found ourselves with over $500,000 in payables, including payroll and contractual commitments related to the next two productions scheduled in the 2011-12 season plus $250,000 in bank debt. This combination of deficit and liabilities represents almost 1/3 of our annual budget, and, given other administrative issues the organization faced, is insurmountable, despite what the unnamed experts in a Boston Globe editorial claim. Compounding these challenges, our October 2011 opera fell well short of sales goals, and we found ourselves unable to pay some bills, including the musicians’ invoices referenced in the Boston Globe article. Board members have since contributed funds to pay these musicians, crew and staff.

The Board considered many options, including major budget cuts and the cancellation of this season. Had we moved forward as planned, we estimated our deficit would have grown to at least $1,000,000, given the emerging pattern of diminishing support. Although we formed a committee to explore financial options when the growing deficit became a concern, its main focus was refinancing the debt over the long term, and it was unable to identify a viable solution to the current and growing deficit.

Opera Boston would have needed at least $750,000 to move forward with the next scheduled production, and over $1,000,000 to finish the season as programmed. We saw no hope of attaining those numbers given the economic downturn and current donor patterns.

As the people entrusted with the fiduciary responsibility of Opera Boston, we voted to cease operations. We did so with heavy hearts, but know we made the responsible decision. We will spend the next few weeks working with the company’s creditors.

We will miss producing the novel and innovative programming the company had become known for, and we appreciate the support we enjoyed from our subscribers, donors, fans and the media.

We are open to a rebirth of Opera Boston in years to come, if the funding climate changes.

Post Merge: Jan 05, 2012, 12:41 pm
San Antonio Opera has stopped selling tickets for the rest of their season and musicians have not yet received music for their next scheduled production of Don Giovanni.  No official season cancellation has been made yet, but halting ticket sales looks rather dire.
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2012, 12:41 pm by lsears »

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #72 on: Jan 13, 2012, 08:18 pm »
New York City Opera announced a lockout earlier this week.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/09/arts/music/new-york-city-opera-declares-rehearsal-lockout.html

Crain's is reporting that talks between management and the unions are resuming, but, as pretty much every article on this has pointed out, if no resolution is reached in time and they have to cancel even one of their productions it could be the final blow to the company.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20120113/ARTS/120119934/1072

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Mar 05, 2012, 10:51 am »
AEA news says that Surflight in NJ is reopening for their 2012 season, a full season of Dinner Theatre musicals.  There's some good news!
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #74 on: Mar 05, 2012, 01:24 pm »