Author Topic: The Equity Hour at first Rehearsal  (Read 9459 times)

StageManagerBrad

• Tourist
    • View Profile
The Equity Hour at first Rehearsal
« on: Apr 08, 2007, 03:09 pm »
Can anyone tell me what goes on at the Equity Hour of the first rehearsal. What is the Stage Managers function during this time?

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: The Equity Hour at first Rehearsal
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2007, 08:11 pm »
I haven't heard of “Equity Hour,” but in SPT, you need at least 30 minutes of the first rehearsal to be set aside for Equity Business.  I believe there is something similar in TYA and LORT.  Is this what you mean? 

The Equity business usually includes electing the deputy, and voting on optional items such as reducing the meal break or span of day, and use of the 6-hour rehearsal block.  The SM will usually explain each item that needs to be voted on, answer any questions, then distribute secret ballots (prepared in advance).  Then the SM will tally the ballots and report the outcome.  The SM also reads a letter from Equity about the role of the deputy, and after the election, the cast signs a form confirming the deputy election.  The SM makes sure the form gets sent to Equity.
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2007, 08:13 pm by Rebbe »
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2007, 12:43 pm »
It is also an opportunity for the local Business Field Rep to speak with the cast about everything Equity. I'm sure all the Reps have their own script but they all have similar topics: Direct Deposit, Deputy, Committee opportunities, Health plan, Childcare services, Equity discounts, state of the Union to name a few. It is also a great time for the cast to get to know one another and begin the bonding...
Ordo ab chao

SM_Art

« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2007, 01:28 pm »
When is the ritual sacrifice of the virgins?  Does that come later...?  Perhaps that's an 'eleventh hour' event....

jspeaker

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2007, 03:31 pm »
When is the ritual sacrifice of the virgins? 

When there is one, we usually sacrifice them right before first 10/12.  It tends to appease the tech Gods and they leave us alone.
Jess W. Speaker, III
Equity Stage Manager
DC Area AEA Liaison
(301) 335-1498

http://q5go.blogspot.com/

StageManagerBrad

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2007, 03:49 pm »
Ok.. So let me get this straight. Actors votes on wether or not to shorten the lunch hour. Which is an issue on my show (it's a mini contract) by secret ballot. Sm reads the deputy info. Actors vote on the deputy. Equity rep speaks. Then we sacrifice the virgins...Is there a certain blood letting AEA code book ritual?

Who gets the equity deputy packet info. Does the rep bring that? Or do the producers pick that up?

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2007, 09:32 pm »
Virgins?
Ordo ab chao

malewen

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2007, 12:02 am »
Generally the Equity rep will come to a first rehearsal if you are in (or near) an office city (NYC, LA, Chicago, San Francisco or Orlando).  You should contact them as soon as you start pre-production to make sure they are available.  Ask them to bring or send you the Deputy and Stage Manager kits when you have them on the phone.  You can sometimes schedule the meeting on the second day of rehearsal if the rep can't make it (they're already going to another first rehearsal, etc.).  If the rep is there you should run the deputy election and take whatever votes are required under the contract (varies from contract to contract but often these include reducing the meal break, whether to allow the 6 hour rehearsal block, etc. - you must read the contract carefully as these gems are often buried inside separate rules).  I often make up ballots with check boxes on them during pre-pro covering all the questions and distribute them to the Equity members with the other paperwork (calendars, contact sheets, etc.).  Then sit back and listen to the rep...

If you're not in an office city you should still call your rep to inform them of the first rehearsal and to ask for the kits.  Take the opportunity to ask AEA if there's anything else that should be discussed (maybe they could call in to a speaker phone during your Equity meeting to answer all the questions about the health plan or whatever - I've never heard of this happening but it seems like it would be easy to arrange).  You should run the meeting if there's no rep present taking all the same votes as above.

Did someone say something about virgins??

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2007, 09:51 am »
I just started my first show on a BAT contract, and realizing it's different from the LORT contract I'm used to, I did a search for "vote" or "ballot" on the .pdf of the BAT contract.  The search found the exact language for the meal break votes, etc.

When it DIDN'T turn up the archival videotaping that I thought it would, I went back and read thoroughly the rule pertaining to televising and recording and found out we don't vote on that anymore.  The theatre has the permission from AEA to make one archival videotape that will be stored at the San Francisco Performing Arts Library and Museum.  I personally am happy about that - one less thing to vote on!
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

mvmendelson

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 2007, 03:01 pm »
When is the ritual sacrifice of the virgins?

I thought that was what the Deputy election was for?