Author Topic: SM Subcommittee forming  (Read 7831 times)

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
SM Subcommittee forming
« on: Jul 14, 2010, 11:15 am »
Did any of you read in Equity News a couple months back about an event in Chicago that got stage managers together with producers/prod managers for a speed-dating style networking & resume event?  I really want to make that happen in San Francisco.  I know at least a couple producers that need to meet more of us, and would be interested in attending.  So, I'm announcing a meeting.

Calling all Bay Area AEA stage managers:  I'm attempting to get an SM subcommittee formed, and I'd like to get some friends involved.  I hope that some of you will be able to come to this meeting:

Monday, August 9th, 2010
6:30pm-7:30pm
Emma's Coffee House
1901 Hayes Street (between Clayton & Ashbury)
San Francisco, CA 

The purpose of the meeting is to form a Stage Manager Subcommittee to AEA's Bay Area Advisory Committee, and the Subcommittee's first action will be to plan a networking event (on the Chicago model) for SF Bay area stage managers and producers.

Please let other AEA stage manager friends know about it.  Please get back to me if you plan to attend.

Thanks!

--
Heath Belden
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
Re: SM Subcommittee forming
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2010, 11:51 am »
This has been going on New York for a few years as well.

Has anyone gotten a job (or even close to a job) from this event?

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2010, 01:04 pm »
Well, from what I understand, Chicago's only done it twice.  We haven't done it at all, yet.  If you'd like, I'd be happy to report here what happens at our event.

But I don't expect that we can set it up like a job fair; I don't think the producers could time all their hiring requirements to prep for the same night.  I do expect to get face time between our members and the people who could hire them.  We have a problem here in the bay area that producers isolate themselves to fewer than three stage managers, and have no clue who else is working in the area; so when one of their stable is unavailable for whatever reason, they have a hard time searching out the other SMs that they might like to work with.

If they have met these SMs, and kept their resumes on file, then these SM will probably be the first to get called when an opportunity does arise.  That's my hope, anyway.  So I don't really expect to be filling job positions at the event I'm envisioning; just opening the door to make future interviews smoother.  It's hard to say what direct impact we can have with a night like this.

On the other hand, I'd be thrilled to get in touch with one of the folks who organized Chicago's event, and use whatever systems they put in place to make it happen.  I've lost the contact info that was in the Equity News article and it's not online, so if anyone knows how I can get in touch with them, please PM me.

Thanks,
--
Heath Belden

--

nmno

« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2010, 05:45 pm »
On the other hand, I'd be thrilled to get in touch with one of the folks who organized Chicago's event, and use whatever systems they put in place to make it happen.  I've lost the contact info that was in the Equity News article and it's not online, so if anyone knows how I can get in touch with them, please PM me.

This is the information from the email I received for the Chicago event:

"Please join us for our upcoming Chicago-Area Stage Managers Networking Event.  After much success with our first networking event in October 2009, we thought we would repeat this opportunity as theatres gear up for their fall 2010 seasons.

Based off of feedback from theatres and members, this will turn into an annual event each spring. This is an exciting opportunity for AEA Stage Managers to meet with producers and production managers from Chicago theatres, exchange resumes and get a few minutes of critical face time as a precursor to having an interview when positions come available.

Similar to last year, this one will have a "speed dating" format.  Stage Managers will sign up for a "rotation hour" during which they will be guaranteed to meet for a few minutes with all of the theatres in attendance.  So far the theatres that have confirmed their attendance are:  Steppenwolf, Goodman Theatre, Chicago Shakespeare, Next Theatre, Victory Gardens, and Court Theatre (we expect more to sign on as the date approaches). Stage Managers should plan to bring at least 10 resume copies to exchange.

To sign up for your rotation hour (10 am, 11 am or 12 pm), please call Margie Cangelosi starting May 3rd at 312-641-0393 between 12 pm and 5 pm.  We expect to be able to accommodate 10 Stage Managers per "rotation hour", and those slots will be available on a first come, first served basis.  Once we fill an hour, a waiting list will be formed.  If you can no longer keep your appointment, please call Margie so that another Stage Manager may participate."
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 05:47 pm by nmno »

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2010, 06:20 pm »
I just did the event here in NY back at the end of May.  It really is quick and informal.  We had three minutes with the representatives from each company that was there, which was usually enough for introductions, a quick glance at your resume to see if there were any connections and a brief "here's what I'm doing now" from you and a "here's what we do" from them, a handshake and then on to the next table.

I think it's a great thing, definitely a step above just the cold sending of resumes, because, for at least a few brief moments, you know for sure that your resume was actually looked at by somebody of some importance in the hiring process, and there is a bit more confidence that it will actually go into a file where it might be pulled in the future when they are doing their hiring.

juliz1106

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: TYA Stage Manager, Marriott Theatre Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2010, 11:51 am »
Having participated in the first "speed-dating" event in Chicago, I can say it was a huge success, even though it wasn't necessarily about landing a job right away.

For a lot of us, it was about getting to put a face to the name, for both the SM's and Producers, and the chance to get a vibe from someone in a way that is intangible before an interview.  For many of us SM's, we'd been sending resumes to these theatres for years, and it was nice for us to see who was working at those theatres, what kind of positions may or may not be available soon, and to have face to face contact of some kind.  The theatre company where I'd been a resident had just folded, so I had plenty to talk to each producer about.  I even found that I had worked at some of those theatres before, and there were new people now staffing, and it was nice to introduce myself again.

It was also nice for the SM's, to see each other all together in an event like this, and spontaneously network amongst ourselves.  Even though the event didn't land any immediate work for me, I did get contacted months later by several companies when positions became open, and two of those companies have since hired me; one of them seasonally.  And I know that PM's are still using those "speed-dating" contacts as a sort of short list to hire people when in need.

I think it's a great idea for other areas to try - I know it can be successful.  Good luck!

malewen

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2010, 10:03 pm »
Hello,
I was one of the organizers of the Chicago networking event and I want to say a couple of things about the background of it and give a couple bits of advice.

We did base it on the Off-Broadway Networking event that has been going on for a number of years as Scott notes.  And I do know of two people who got work form these events but the main idea is just to meet people from the theatres. We plan to hold the event once in the spring every year from now on (thinking that most theatre seasons start in the fall so they are starting to look in the spring).

Try to find a local production manager to work with on this.  In Chicago the PM at Steppenwolf (where I work) did all the organizing of getting theatres to send people to the event, and gave us a space to hold it in.

We opted for a speed dating format where each SM got five minutes with each theatre rather than a job fair.

Make sure that someone is willing to take the appointment reservations (we did this through the Equity office).

Have a contact list of the people attending from the theatres to give to the SMs so that there can be follow ups or thank you e-mails.  Make sure that this information is approved/given to you by the theatres.

Feel free to message me if you have other questions.

malcolm ewen

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2011, 02:58 pm »
Looks like this event is actually going to happen!  Here's the announcement on AEA's website: http://www.actorsequity.org/NewsMedia/news2011/jan17.BayAreaNetworking.asp

Please forward this to any bay area SMs you know; this is actually going to be open to both union *and* non-union members.  I've already got seven people signed up for a maximum of 48 slots.
--
Heath Belden

--

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2011, 09:03 am »
AEA sent out an e-mail blast this week advertising the March 28th networking event.  I'd planned for 48 stage managers (both AEA and non-union) and at the moment, 42 have applied!  I'm hoping I can start a waitlist this weekend.
--
Heath Belden

--

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2011, 01:39 pm »
That sounds great, Heath! I'm glad my ASM and I got on the list early. If there is anything I can help with, at least from an electronic/internet help perspective, please let me know! Unfortunately I can't help the day of because we'll be at Load In.

malewen

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2011, 09:01 pm »
Heath,

Let me know how the Bay Area event turns out!  I hope it is a great success.

FYI, the next event in Chicago will be on Monday, April 25th.  Details to follow.

Malcolm Ewen

MusicTheatreSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Stage management website
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA,
« Reply #11 on: Apr 15, 2011, 04:56 am »
For the upcoming Chicago event, will there be an opportunity for EMCs to come through and talk to the producers and meet people?

As an EMC, I would love that chance to get my name out there and meet people. It seems that I can send resumes cold multiple times, but face time would be more valuable.

malewen

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 16, 2011, 10:15 pm »
I posted details about the upcoming Chicago AEA stage manager networking event on the regional advice Midwest/Chicago page.

SMNetwork.org »
    Onstage »
    Regional Advice »
    USA: Midwest/Chicago

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #13 on: Apr 17, 2011, 02:42 am »
Malewen, I think the SF event was a success. Though I did meet with several theaters I already knew/had worked for/will work for this summer, it was a great event to get SM's names out there, meet other SM's and have a great time. I think Heath did a wonderful job pulling this off and I'm really glad to have been able to participate in it.

Though I will say, when it was over, it was the most exhausting hour of my life. My ASM and I had to go get a drink afterward.

riotous