Author Topic: Re: Its the New Guy!  (Read 8778 times)

04sdwall

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA membership candidate
Re: Its the New Guy!
« on: May 28, 2007, 10:18 pm »
Going for your card at 21?  Bold.  Good luck.

Well as far as the card is concerned someone was talking about getting EMC points and they said it takes 2 steady years of work to get it and you can wait for up to 5 years after that so... do I think I'll be ready for my card when I'm 28 problably.  Besides there are always SPT's needing good stage managers. 

04sdwall

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 10:19 pm »
Hey avkid,
  What theatre are you at?

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 12:05 am »
Going for your card at 21?  Bold.  Good luck.

Well as far as the card is concerned someone was talking about getting EMC points and they said it takes 2 steady years of work to get it and you can wait for up to 5 years after that so... do I think I'll be ready for my card when I'm 28 problably.  Besides there are always SPT's needing good stage managers. 

It's my understanding that it takes 50 points (weeks) to qualify for your card. I guess the time frame depends on the amount of work you get. Don't SPT contracts require Equity Stage Managers? They don't always require Equity ASM's but if an ASM is not required/hired, I don't believe you can acrue EMC points for serving as a non-Equity ASM. Just my opinion...
Ordo ab chao

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 01:26 am »
Getting your card young is not necessarily a bad thing.  One opportunity leads to another.  I got my card young and have no regrets.

04sdwall

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 01:51 am »
I received my first 15 points as a non-equity ASM under an equity SM at a SPT 6 theatre.  I think the only caution I have been told about getting my card young is make sure you are in an area where you can get work.  My guess is I can at least get work at some low SPT theatres even if I cant get the big LORT contracts as a 25-30 year old.  Would others disagree with this?

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 08:36 am »
I received my first 15 points as a non-equity ASM under an equity SM at a SPT 6 theatre.  I think the only caution I have been told about getting my card young is make sure you are in an area where you can get work.  My guess is I can at least get work at some low SPT theatres even if I cant get the big LORT contracts as a 25-30 year old.  Would others disagree with this?

This is the age old debate, when to go for your card.  There's tons and tons and tons of good non-eq work out there; some of this work will even provide you with health benefits and a retirement package.  I guess the biggest message I'd like to communicate is that you don't have to have your card to be successful in this business. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

04sdwall

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 05:53 pm »
Scoot I have also been told that very people "week" into the union.  My main reason for being EMC is to show potential employers that I am serious about my future as a stage manager and not that I have my eyes on a different sight and that I am a good investment.  I have also been going back and forth on the way to become the most desirable stage manager I can be.  I am open to any suggestions. 

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 06:26 pm »
You don't need your card to be "successful" but you do need your card to get the health insurance, miminum pay scale, 401k, and pension, etc etc.

There are plenty of employers who offer these benefits, you just have to seek them out.  If you're talking about traditional theatre then you're correct, there are many benefits to joining the union.  However there is also a lot of "non-traditional" where you'll find these benefits, and it often pays rather well too. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

avkid

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Philip LaDue
  • Affiliations: RFL, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Carpenter/Flyman at Count Basie Center For The Arts
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 08:12 pm »
Hey avkid,
  What theatre are you at?
A small community theatre near Binghamton NY.
http://www.endicottarts.com/
Philip LaDue
IATSE Local #21 Newark, NJ

erin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.obscure.org/~nimue/resume.html
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 2007, 10:09 pm »
They don't always require Equity ASM's but if an ASM is not required/hired, I don't believe you can acrue EMC points for serving as a non-Equity ASM. Just my opinion...

And apparently in LORT EMC point can only be accrued if there is an equity ASM.  So a PA acting as a non-union ASM can't accrue points, but might very well get bumped up to an equity contract in later seasons.

My $0.02 - a theatre i PA'd for gave me my card at age 23 (i never even looked into EMC) and i haven't had a problem finding LORT work.    But that could be very different in another region.

I'm not convinced that accumulating EMC credits shows employers you are serious about the career path.  You could be extremely serious about professionally stage managing in non-AEA venues.  In that situation it would be a waste of time, money, and effort.  And worse,  a non-AEA producer might think that you aren't interested.

VSM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 20, 2007, 10:52 am »
Erin ~

Congrats in being behind the Orange curtain and having no trouble finding LORT work.
I work at Laguna Playhouse quite a lot. And you?
Ordo ab chao

NMondell

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 20, 2007, 07:27 pm »
Hmm....i just got drafted into the Stage Management position and never had a card. Nor has anyone ever offered or asked for one from me, but then again Magic is a different entertainment than most else. LOL...

Should i start looking for a card?

Nathaniel

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #12 on: Jun 21, 2007, 02:48 am »
They don't always require Equity ASM's but if an ASM is not required/hired, I don't believe you can acrue EMC points for serving as a non-Equity ASM. Just my opinion...

And apparently in LORT EMC point can only be accrued if there is an equity ASM.  So a PA acting as a non-union ASM can't accrue points, but might very well get bumped up to an equity contract in later seasons.

My $0.02 - a theatre i PA'd for gave me my card at age 23 (i never even looked into EMC) and i haven't had a problem finding LORT work.    But that could be very different in another region.

I'm not convinced that accumulating EMC credits shows employers you are serious about the career path.  You could be extremely serious about professionally stage managing in non-AEA venues.  In that situation it would be a waste of time, money, and effort.  And worse,  a non-AEA producer might think that you aren't interested.

This is true. BUT, every LORT theatre that I ever worked at was willing to list the PA as an all-purpose understudy so they could get points. I did was a resident PA for 3 seasons with a company and had enough points in about 18 months.
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

VSM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 21, 2007, 08:57 am »
My two cents ~

I thought the EMC program was to get experience in your chosen field.  Marcie's plan gave her experience in the acting arena and the points she accrued as an actor are not divided between acting and stage management so they do count towards her Stage Management interest.  The theatre either has understudies in name only and lose out should the situation arise or they use her as an undocumented SM PA... It's an interesting way to beat the system...

IMHO
Ordo ab chao

erin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.obscure.org/~nimue/resume.html
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #14 on: Oct 10, 2007, 04:57 am »
Erin ~

Congrats in being behind the Orange curtain and having no trouble finding LORT work.
I work at Laguna Playhouse quite a lot. And you?

SCR, pretty much exclusively for the last three years.  (They keep me busy enough that the two months off screams "Vacation!" rather than "Summer Job!")   We probably have a LOT of common contacts :)